EZ lock dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EZ lock dying?

A handful of times recently I had to flick the switch more than once to unlock my ezlock, one time it took at least 30 times I believe. It is sporadic though. If I remember correctly this is what happens before they go kaput, right? could it mean anything else? it's such bad timing, argh.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I'm not familiar with the wiring, but it could be the switch or a relay.
    They both have contacts that corode over time.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

Comment

Check out Ebay I have purchased a few complete EZ locks either new or like new in the $250.00 range shipping included. The last one I bought was brand new in the box and when I took it to the mobility dealer to be installed they told me they charge $1300 for them.

Also my EZ Lock has a manual release lever in the front (I think they all do) and there is a cable hooked to it that I can reach and pull to release my chair manually.
      Last edited by darty; 23 Sep 2016, 10:07 AM.
      ^^(A)^^

Comment

This happened with my mother's EZ Lock after a number of years of use. We took it back to the place we had it installed and they found a faulty switch and replaced it.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Defective relays will intermittently not function, I would suspect that is most likely the problem. First I would check to see if there's any debris in the mechanism, or worn mechanical parts. There's really not much to them, and it shouldn't be hard to figure out for someone with a little mechanical talent.

Comment

great advice all thanks!

yes I have the release lever, no cable though and I cant reach it.

Comment

probably just needs a tune up.

Jim
              Jim, MA, MMET
              Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Does it click? Mine does that periodically but it is caused by a burr from the bolt head rubbing on the edges, have it filed and good to go.

Comment

no it was silent. but it hasn't done it since I posted this.

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
                    no it was silent. but it hasn't done it since I posted this.

Is the Ez-Lock used with a power or manual wheelchair?

If it happens again try moving or powering the wheelchair forward right after hitting the EzLock button.

Sometime the wheelchair sits back against the locking mechanism binding it.

Jim
                    Jim, MA, MMET
                    Bridgewater, MA

Comment

I know a 83 yr. old quad whose EZ lock did the same thing as yours. Once, going up a hill, his came unlocked and he rolled to the back of his van. It started to roll backwards and thankfully rolled into a ditch just before going thru an intersection. He was going slow and was not hurt.

It was a used van and lock so it may have been worn or not adjusted right. Needless to say, he drives it as little as possible and went back to his old lift van but has to use manual chair instead and needs to transfer into the drivers seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
                        Is the Ez-Lock used with a power or manual wheelchair?

If it happens again try moving or powering the wheelchair forward right after hitting the EzLock button.

Sometime the wheelchair sits back against the locking mechanism binding it.

Jim
                        yeah I know that move but that wasn't the problem tis time.

power chair

Patrick that is scary

Comment

Working...
                        X