Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are any quads using a zero turn radius mower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are any quads using a zero turn radius mower?

and if so, how do you transfer from chair to mower seat? Or, if any quads are using any type of mower, what brand/kind and how are you doing the transfer? Currently my wife helps me get on an ordinary rider with hydrostat drive. I don't have a problem operating it, it's having to jump over the levers and I can't find one without a lever sticking up through the left fender that isn't sitting up so high. My biggest concern is breaking a leg bone, so far been lucky. Appreciate any help, thanks!

I am not a quad but have using a Exmark zero turn for over 14 years. I was injured almost ten years ago and love this machine. I like it better than others because its heavy duty. Very low maintenance and its low to the ground. I would go to various dealers and try there machines out. I enjoy mowing grass and the 52" cut I have is easy to transfer on. I place a large pillow on the side and transfer on it. My wife helps me lift up to the seat. Much easier transferring with help. I have a wide velcro belt that I use to strap myself on the seat. Helps me from ever falling off. My front balance is very poor. Probably a great time to get a bargain for end of summer sales too. Wish you well.

Comment

Thanks Joe, would you happen to know what model it is? The same mower still going after 14 years?

Comment

I'm a C6 and I got one of these because they are much easier to tranfer onto than your standard zero turn: https://auctionimages.s3.amazonaws.c...3/22674773.jpg

they don't make this style anymore, so when mine finally dies I will have to come up with a transfer solution of my own, or go with one of these: http://taylormobilitysolutions.com/

Comment

im a para but thisis what i use
          to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm dealing with a machine shop guy now that is going to make the mower seat movable (slide toward front of mower) enough so I'll be able to do a simple transfer from my chair to mower seat then slide seat back in original operating position. These people are amazing, very talented and helpful. Hopefully will work like a charm!

Comment

Awesome, I was leaning towards doing something like that on my next one. Hopefully they're planning on using a linear actuator or something similar so it power moves. I even suggested it to toro's R&D department since their headquarters are local to me. Keep us posted to what you come up with and how much $$$ it runs.

Comment

I cheat my son picks me up puts me on a quad

Comment

Here is me using my John Deere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6mje-JUNiA

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodcharlie5 View Post
                    Here is me using my John Deere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6mje-JUNiA
                    u awesome my legs would never let me do that

Comment

I am not a quad, so I apologize if it is not quite applicable, but I use the Taylor Mobility Solutions plate in the link above and as a para, I love it. It has made all the difference with getting on and off my zero turn mower. The video below shows a quad attaching and using it, so it might work for you. I don't know how flat your property is, but since I have a large slope I have to mow, I use a rope to tie myself to the seat of my mower. It keeps me from sliding off forward or the sides. Even when just hitting bumps, I appreciate being tied to the seat so I don't slide down in the seat. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eof8UHp3Hs

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                        u awesome my legs would never let me do that
                        that was about 4 years ago. my legs have gotten tighter, I know what you mean. if I stretch them a bit they are good for the day.

Comment

How many of you guys actually use the mower deck to mow your own lawns? Has anyone tries taking the deck off the mower, and using it that way? That "seem's" like that would allow y'all closer access to the seat.

But taking it off, would seriously change your uses for this machine. And it would lighten the overall weight, as well as change the center of gravity.

I'm just curious, I'm a hunter and fisherman when possible, and I believe this would make a good rig to access beaches and some woodlands.
                          Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 10 Sep 2016, 9:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sullivan View Post

How many of you guys actually use the mower deck to mow your own lawns? Has anyone tries taking the deck off the mower, and using it that way? That "seem's" like that would allow y'all closer access to the seat.

But taking it off, would seriously change your uses for this machine. And it would lighten the overall weight, as well as change the center of gravity.

I'm just curious, I'm a hunter and fisherman when possible, and I believe this would make a good rig to access beaches and some woodlands.
                            I can't speak for the other guys, but 95% of the time I get on my mower, is to mow. The other 5% is to pull a yard wagon around while my wife throws sticks and other yard waste in it.

Even without the mower deck on, my ATV's are 100X more off road capable than a mower. I suppose one could be used this way, but would you use a butter knife to butcher a cow?

Comment

Doubtless you are far better off with an ATV. I cannot afford both conveyances, and it was from that standpoint I asked that question. I look at it from a distance, torque, and reliability in a fairly remote place, standpoint as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X