No announcement yet.

"The Beast"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve just posted this video in another thread, but realised that it’s probably more relevant here, as it shows how far The Beast has travelled.

https://youtu.be/t8JKgtao57I

(Yes, it’s pretty much an Icon advert, but that was deliberate as the Icon guys have gone out of their way to help us out a couple of times, including a few weeks ago when we were on holiday in Scotland and I noticed a crack in the front wing assembly (after almost 6 years of abuse)...the international Icon distributor (who is based in Denmark) got the part to us within 3 days of me getting in touch with him. Can’t get much better service than that!)

And to answer NW-Will’s questions (from the other thread):
    1. So is that 6 years in an ICON chair? what's the verdict? I have their Marvel chair... one of these days I'll demo their ICON chair.
    Yes, 6 years in not just “an” Icon, but “the only” Icon that he’s owned. It’s grown with him (from age 9-15), with only a new seat pan being bought late last year (upgrade to the carbon fibre version, longer than his original one). I don’t know many (any) other kids over that age range that have had the same chair throughout.

2. I'm no fan of those attachments, but the beast looks like a lot of fun.... would be interested to see it going up inclines to see at what point it starts to spin out.
    It can get up most sealed roads. Grass is usually fine with a bit of run-up speed. Soft sand is a killer (at the end of the video he is stuck). But he is fairly light, so that helps. If/when it needs an upgrade, I would look at getting a motor/controller that can go in reverse (like the Firefly can), as that would let him go backwards up steep hills with a lot more traction.

3. Is the beast an ICON product ? any links to it?
    Homemade, sort of...more info in the rest of this thread.

4. What is the power assist at the 26 second mark ?
    It’s a homemade SmartDrive, sort of. It was a razor scooter at one point.... My son now has a real SmartDrive, which probably shows how successful my thing wasn’t!

Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Thank you for the answers ... and great job...
      I modified an old sophur holly bike a few years ago and put a large LIPO4 battery over the front wheel to try and get some extra weight on the front wheel to stop the wheel spinning out.
      Just a video showing how long it takes to hook up to it..

Comment

gordy, thats awesome.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
          Thank you for the answers ... and great job...
          I modified an old sophur holly bike a few years ago and put a large LIPO4 battery over the front wheel to try and get some extra weight on the front wheel to stop the wheel spinning out.
          Just a video showing how long it takes to hook up to it..
          Nice modification! I?m just thankful that e-bikes and lithium batteries exist...and they will only get better.

The Firefly (gen 1) connection is much faster than your one...my son can connect it himself using a fat bike stand (which is fairly portable if we?re travelling anywhere), otherwise he does need some assistance. Disconnecting is easier. I think the gen 2 connector would be even faster, but I wonder about its strength in comparison to the gen 1.
          Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            gordy, thats awesome.
            It is...and I must admit I probably get as much of a buzz seeing my son using it, as he does using it. My wife just looks the other way at times....

Comment

I agree Gordy, E-bike and their lithiums are incredible and quite affordable. I've been riding with one of Mark Breretons Road race Powerpods for years. It has a 500 wt. E-bike wheel with one of their 48v20ah lithiums. The 48v turns the 500wt into 1000wt. wheel. It's like riding a rocket ship. It gets up to speed quickly with the flip of a switch. I've gotten it up to 35mph and it still had more juice to go faster.

I like the fact I can go on long rides and if needed, take a break pedaling and still be up to speed. Great way to give the shoulders a break.

Comment

EXCELLENT! Lucky lady to have a Maker dad.

Comment

It appears that “The Beast” now has some competition! https://langhoej-live.dk/wp-content/...er-katalog.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                    It appears that “The Beast” now has some competition! https://langhoej-live.dk/wp-content/...er-katalog.pdf
                    Woah that kick arse ! wonder how much.....

Comment

Another nice looking one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuNOsslnBMY

Comment

Originally posted by scurl View Post
                        Woah that kick arse ! wonder how much.....
                        Too much! I saw a very hi-tech looking add-on recently (not a fat-bike tyre though), but it was selling for $10k!!! Can’t see many people spending that much....
                        Last edited by Gordy1; 07-25-2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scurl View Post
                          Unfortunately I don’t speak German, so couldn’t understand a word! But very interesting to see that they recognise the need to move the rear wheels backwards to improve the drive wheel traction. Chasmengr should have patented his design!

That chair must be heavy though, with all the attachment metalwork beneath the seat, plus the extra length....

Comment

Another “Beast” being marketed. https://www.pushmobility.com.au/products/the-beast

I really should have patented the name, at least!

Comment

• Oddity
                              Oddity commented
                              Editing a comment
                              $12k?! Does that seem reasonable giving the technology involved? Seems kinda high to me.

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                            Another “Beast” being marketed. https://www.pushmobility.com.au/products/the-beast

I really should have patented the name, at least!
                            How about "Beast Master"
                            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                            Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Oddity is any disability equipment cost reasonable?!?! (Rhetorical question obviously...!)

They have put a lot of thought into their version. The additional weight at the front for traction, the massive knobbly drive wheel, 1500-2000W motor, and reverse are all the things that I would upgrade on my son’s version. I couldn’t find a wheel like that when I was looking, and that size of motor eats battery, so theirs must have something expensive (although I haven’t seen the details listed). But I do agree that most of the other stuff is readily available thanks to e-bike technology.

Australia has been revising its whole funding for people with disabilities over the last few years, so things like these may actually be funded for those that can argue their justification. So there may well be some sales here.

BTW the 12k is in Aussie dollars. At today’s exchange rate that’s about USD7,200. (It wasn’t that long ago that 1AUD=1USD. How things change!).

Comment

Working...
                              X