Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't Canadians buy ROHO online from USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online $US = Less than $400. In Canada, same cushion is almost $800 cdn!

Last I checked our dollar was not 0.50. What happened to Free Trade NAFTA?

As a homecare / medical device for use by disabled it is fully exempt from taxes/tariffs.

No idea - and when you find out let me know!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

write Jacob at howirollsports , he ships worldwide . hes a local wheeler here in south florida and honest to deal with ....

Comment

I'd expect it's due to the distribution agreement with the retailer and Roho. It looks like they've given wholesale distribution rights to one provider in Canada. You should be able to buy it in the United States and have it shipped to Canada - no royalties because of NAFTA and no taxes because it's medical equipment. If an online retailer can't send it to you then you might just need to get someone in the US to buy/ship the product. Downside is that you'll need to go through the same channel for any product issues or returns.

Comment

sportaid.com........?!! I'm sure they'll ship, anywhere......

Comment

The shipping costs are usually more than the product ... I have a friend with a Detroit mailbox but then to get it across.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

That's crazy. I've purchased from Canada through Ebay and shipping is no more than what is charged here in the states.

I once shipped two ounces of kefir grains to Canda and the shipping fee was $20.00.
              Last edited by Brent K; 20 Jul 2016, 3:26 PM.

Comment

Not sure about Roho, but NAFTA requires majority NAFTA cost content. If it's made substantially of imported goods then it doesn't qualify for NAFTA.
                T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Hi Guys,

The two sites mentioned above both state on their ROHO order pages "This product not eligible for shipment outside the USA."

I suspect, as HockeyFan mentioned, There is some sort of exclusive arrangement with Canadian vendors. At best unfair.

Comment

... unfair for *decades*

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                      ... unfair for *decades*
                      My friend in Calgary told me a few years ago that your customs opens everything shipped privately between friends for the purpose of determining contraband and tax. Don't ask. So my question is what if your friend sent it to you. What would the tax amount to?
                      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

If it's labelled 'gift' there's nothing they can really do ... but there must be a risk to the shipper because I remember a lot on ebay refused to do that. There must be a reason why. I bought cologne that was only released in the US for Christmas many years ago - very expensive. They kept it. Twice. lol

Comment

So why can't your friend in Detroit "gift" you a cushion? With paypal money transfer is easy. How could Canadian customs question a US private citizen. Ebay sellers are different, they deal in multiple sales to many people. Many are nothing more than retail outlets at bargain or not so bargain prices.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

UPS/DHL should anywhere and can probably give you an indication of the duty and local tax if you tell them what it is and the value. You would need a US friend to buy it for you and arrange the shipping. Mis classifying goods as gifts is illegal as is tax avoidance, it is up to you whether you feel comfortable with doing so. In some countries products specifically m for the disabled do not incur duty or local taxes, try checking out whether this applies in Canada. Your friend who buys the cushion will need to include a customs declaration which is where the value and goods description go.

Almost certainly Roho are protecting their Canadian distributor and will force their US dealers to sign an agreement which prevents cross border sales. Technically not illegal but, depending upon how you view it potentially unethical as it raises the price of goods but can provide a degree of customer service. In Europe a lot of distribution models like this have been destroyed eg with UK based cycle parts retail selling to consumers globally.

Comment

You can't because Roho is very stringent on where your purchase and sell. The guidelines are imposed by Roho themselves. They want to make sure none of their dealers have an unfair advantage.

Comment

Working...
                              X