padded toilet seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• padded toilet seat

I know this is nearly a FAQ, but maybe something new has come up, so: Does anyone know of a decent padded toilet seat? I think I need one with metal hinges, because the ones with plastic hinges I have tried don't last under the lateral force of my transfer. But the only padded toilet seat with metal hinges I know of is the Mayfair 113CP, which tends to develop wrinkles within a few weeks of use. These wrinkles do create skin bumps or red areas fairly quickly.

Not sure what hinges you are talking about. This is the raised, padded toilet seat we issue for many of our outpatients. You need to remove the spray skirt for full access, and you also need to be sure that you get the right kinds of clamps for either an oval or round toilet bowl.

https://www.amazon.com/Lumex-6497A-M...ed+toilet+seat

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have used that commode-type device that is like a padded chair seat that's adjustable height, with four legs, and is positioned over the toilet seat, at the height desired for easy transfer. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Not sure what hinges you are talking about.

(KLD)
        Thanks for the pointer to the Lumex product, that looks like it might solve the issue. The "hinges" I was talking about are, in a standard toilet seat, the two fixture/hinge devices which (a) as hinges, attach the seat bottom to the seat lid, and (b) as fixtures, attach the seat bottom to the toilet itself by means of bolts. In most products, these hinges/fixtures are plastic. When I transfer to the seat, I transfer from the side, and due to the architecture of my home bathroom, the transfer is at an awkward angle, so there is a lot of lateral force on the seat during the transfer, creating a lot of torque on these fixtures/hinges. The plastic fixture/hinge devices thus tend to crack in short order. The chrome fixture/hinge devices last longer but, like I mentioned, that product has other quality problems.

Comment

My daughter in law purchased one of these Lumex seats for myself and her granddad when we visit(she is a very thoughtful gal) I have a problem with the seat becoming dislodged a bit and "feel" unstable as I struggle to arise off the elevated seat. I can still walk a bit. So sliding is not involved. Their home has very small bathrooms.

The seats I use at home are simply the elevated rings that are attached to a tab bolted under the original hinge plate, it stops me from partially pulling the seat from its location on the hopper when my butt tend's to stick in/on it. Ah yes "The Golden Years" when you have a SCI. But far better that the alternative.

Comment

A cushier alternative, depending on how you transfer, is the Action(R) Commode Pad. I have not seen the gel wrinkle or flatten. They also make a solid square pad that could be cut to size/shape.

Comment

Right now I'm trying out a Cloud Soft seat, http://www.cloudsoftseats.com/ . It appears to have much better build quality and better padding than other seats I have tried, but I have not used it long enough to know for sure how durable it is.

Comment

I've now tried out that Cloud Soft padded toilet seat I mentioned above, for about three months. See http://www.cloudsoftseats.com/ .

It is much better than any other seat I've used. It is durable, has good padding, and is smooth. So I would recommend the product.

Comment

What is the height [thickness] of the bottom section?

Comment

Originally posted by swannyriver View Post
                    What is the height [thickness] of the bottom section?
                    Not sure exactly. I'd say it's about a half-inch thicker than a standard unpadded seat. So about an inch.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X