Help me choose a ceiling track patient lift for home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a ceiling track patient lift for home

What is the best brand of ceiling track patient lift for home use? I'm looking for something that doesn't take forever to get into. Some of the seating slings look complicated. I have a little arm strength, so the SureHands system looks good at first glance. Anyone have experience with these kinds of systems? Thanks!

Check out both SureHands and Barrier Free. They specialize in home (vs. institutional) installations. Just be sure to select a company that has local vendors who can provide repair and service, as you may need this periodically.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've been using SureHands for 20 years. With the body support system it is the easiest to use. No sling needed. I actually used one at the Bellagio in Vegas in February. Made life so much easier.

Comment

My contractor has a local vendor who uses Liko/hillrom and recommended the likorall 242es. I think they mostly have done home elevator stuff. Anyone know about that brand? I still like the look of the SureHands sling better. When I searched for "barrier free lift" a bunch of different companies came up. So are you talking about the www.barrierfreelifts.com site? Thanks you guys for all your help.

Comment

Surehands is probably at the top of the price list but the body lift is worth the extra cost. It is so much easier than using a regular sling. The system is well made too. If you do a youtube search of surehands there are a number of videos.
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beatscookin View Post
            What is the best brand of ceiling track patient lift for home use? I'm looking for something that doesn't take forever to get into. Some of the seating slings look complicated. I have a little arm strength, so the SureHands system looks good at first glance. Anyone have experience with these kinds of systems? Thanks!
            BHM with 4 way controller and arjo hygeine sling. super quad friendly, sling is cake to use by yourself.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

For my mother, we had a SureHands frame sling which we fit to a BarrierFree motor and track. It worked very well. for many years (with some maintenance needed). We eventually got a back-up BarrierFree motor on e-Bay very cheap, which made it much easier to not have any loss of use when the main motor needed service. We had the BarrierFree PC-2 motor which you can move from place to place in the home, with several sections of track set up in the bathroom, bedroom, and family room.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Picture of the SureHands setup in the Ballageo.
                Attached Files

Comment

I use a surehand. The body support is very hard on the shoulder joint. I had to get the body sling after it became too painful. An $800 mistake and it's just as fast.

Comment

Yes, crags, we found as my mother's function declined and her paralysis increased (she had MS) that we could no longer use the SureHands body support for transfers for both safety or comfort reasons, and we changed over to a cloth sling that we used for several years, although still with the BarrierFree motor and track.

(KLD)

Comment

Has anyone used Liko/hillrom or know if it's a good brand? I spoke with the local home modification vendor my contractor recommended (because this company put in a couple of home elevator/lifts for the contactor's clients). The sales person said they only use Liko/hillrom for ceiling lifts and claimed he'd never heard of SureHands(!), which I think is a bit odd. He also said there's no way to try the slings before you buy them, and once it's purchased you can't return it for one that might fit better.:-( Is this your experience? This company also doesn't take insurance.

I contacted the SureHands sales person in my area who is in a major city 2.5 hours away. She says they do not have repair technicians any closer than that to my town. The cost for a service call to the town I'm in would be a flat rate of $450 (not including the replacement parts if needed). Yikes! Any comments?

Comment

Liko (which was bought out by Hill-Rom several years ago) has been a leader in the field of institutional ceiling track lift (and mobile life) design and sales. The company was originally Swedish, and CTL use started in Europe, not in the USA or Canada. Slings usually are not returnable, but a good sales person would have ones you could try before purchase. I am a little skeptical about the this local contractor's experience and expertise, as Liko does not have a big share of the home CTL market, while SureHands and Barrier Free are among the leaders in this field.

Where are you on the West Coast? I would want to talk to a CTL vendor directly, not through your contractor. You should also be looking at Guldmann, Arjo-Huntleigh, Horcher/BarrierFree, and Waverly-Glen (Prism).

(KLD)

Comment

KDL, Please PM me and I'll give you my location. I am talking directly with the CTL vendors. The contractor just referred me to the home modification vendor they used for lifts, then I called them directly. This vendor has supposedly done a lot of ceiling track lifts as well as home elevators/lifts.

How come the SureHands system can go around curves as shown in the photo byHACKNSACK44, but the Liko/hillrom system needs expensive "turn tables" to make a simple right angle turn?

Comment

Different lift systems have different ways to turn corners. It all depends upon how the trolley or motor actually hangs from the track. We didn't have any corners to deal with on my mother's system...we had 3 sections of straight track installed in 3 different parts of the home. Even the tracks in the rooms on the SCI unit where I work do not require any turns...they are all straight runs, although some are traverse systems.

(KLD)

Comment

KLD, I've been thinking about the comment you made regarding the back-up motor you purchased on e-Bay. What kind of maintenance issues should I expect with these systems? How long did you use the CTL and how often did you have problems? Also, did your mom's insurance cover the cost of the CTL and repairs?

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X