Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone drive from their rigid manual chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone drive from their rigid manual chair?

Got a friend who had his truck modified to lift him into and drive from his manual chair. But nothing keeps his chair from tilting backward whenever he gets on the gas kinda hard. The brakes keep the rear wheels still but the front casters lift up under acceleration. Anyone have any solutions for strapping/locking the front of the chair down? Surely lots of people drive vans from their manual chairs...

EDIT**
    I did some digging on the EZ lock floor base, etc. Now this isn't my truck but I would like to find a way to lock my chair down without having a bolt, bracket, etc. that's always on my chair, because of ground clearance and added weight. So what options would he have to lock down his chair without something like the EZ lock?
    Last edited by Brad09; 6 May 2016, 2:48 PM.

I drive from my chair. I drive a van and when I roll-up to the steering wheel a bolt that is connected to my chair locks into a device on the floor. It is called an inter-lock system. When the bolt gets into this device it locks my chair in place so in combination with my wheel brakes I don't move, period. I have to press a button on the dash to unlock my chair so I can get away from the steering wheel. This device then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer to let it know I there so the airbag can be activated. Sounds like when your friend gets in his truck the airbag isn't activated. How is the airbag activated when your friend gets in to drive?
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Comment

I was under the impression that lightweight manual chairs weren't legal for driving...?
      T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by DaDutchman View Post
        I drive from my chair. I drive a van and when I roll-up to the steering wheel a bolt that is connected to my chair locks into a device on the floor. It is called an inter-lock system. When the bolt gets into this device it locks my chair in place so in combination with my wheel brakes I don't move, period. I have to press a button on the dash to unlock my chair so I can get away from the steering wheel. This device then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer to let it know I there so the airbag can be activated. Sounds like when your friend gets in his truck the airbag isn't activated. How is the airbag activated when your friend gets in to drive?
        Im not sure to be honest. I guess I thought it was always activated...ill ask him. Does the bolt on your chair not catch on everything you roll over? Are you in a manual or power chair? I would rather find a way to lock it down without having something always attached to the chair. I was thinking more like bolting a strap to the floor that he could just hook to his chair, but would stay in the truck when he gets out.

Also, I edited/added to my original post for those just now seeing this.
        Last edited by Brad09; 6 May 2016, 2:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
          Got a friend who had his truck modified to lift him into and drive from his manual chair. But nothing keeps his chair from tilting backward whenever he gets on the gas kinda hard. The brakes keep the rear wheels still but the front casters lift up under acceleration. Anyone have any solutions for strapping/locking the front of the chair down? Surely lots of people drive vans from their manual chairs...

EDIT**
          I did some digging on the EZ lock floor base, etc. Now this isn't my truck but I would like to find a way to lock my chair down without having a bolt, bracket, etc. that's always on my chair, because of ground clearance and added weight. So what options would he have to lock down his chair without something like the EZ lock?
          Sounds like he's not secured with any sort of lock down.

Does he have a Ez-Lock in the truck?

Jim
          Jim, MA, MMET
          Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
            I was under the impression that lightweight manual chairs weren't legal for driving...?
            I've never heard of that.

I can see how driving with a unsecured wheelchair might be.

Jim
            Jim, MA, MMET
            Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
              Im not sure to be honest. I guess I thought it was always activated...ill ask him. Does the bolt on your chair not catch on everything you roll over? Are you in a manual or power chair? I would rather find a way to lock it down without having something always attached to the chair. I was thinking more like bolting a strap to the floor that he could just hook to his chair, but would stay in the truck when he gets out.

Also, I edited/added to my original post for those just now seeing this.
              I'm in my manual chair, a TI - TX. So far, and I have had the bolt on for almost 3 years, it has not caught on anything. I'm sure it has probably come close, but not yet. This does prevent my chair from being folded which is a pain if I want to go some place in someone else's vehicle.
              DaDutchman

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
                I've never heard of that.

I can see how driving with a unsecured wheelchair might be.

Jim
                No head restraint.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                  To my knowledge it is fine. EZ-Lock has a compatibility chart so you can check to see if their system will work with your chair.
                  DaDutchman

Comment

No he doesn't have an EZ lock right now. I'm not even sure he's driving it until he gets this figured out.

Comment

So the guy who sold me my TiLite Aero T told me it wasn't legal for driving.
                      I hope he was wrong.

Of course he didn't tell me that in the hospital when he sold it to me, but in my home at delivery. I still don't have my hand controls endorsement (thanks to the state of Ohio dragging its feet), but I would much rather have had a chair I could drive in so long as it didn't sacrifice to much on mobility.

EZ Lock looks amazing.

Comment

Many power and manual wheelchair manufacturers say in their warranty that the chair is not warrantied for driving, nor has it been crash tested. This is done from their legal dept. to try to avoid any liability issues. Few chairs are crash tested, and some restraints systems are not either (EZ-Lock has been crash tested, as has Q'Straint). It is not "illegal" to drive from your chair, either manual or power, in any state that I am familiar with.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

"I have to press a button on the dash to unlock my chair so I can get away from the steering wheel. This device then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer to let it know I there so the airbag can be activated. Sounds like when your friend gets in his truck the airbag isn't activated. How is the airbag activated when your friend gets in to drive?"

There is no driver's seat occupancy detector; there is an assumption that if there is an accident there was a driver.
                          Seat occupancy detectors are required to detect the weight of an adult in the passengers seat and deploy the passenger side airbag(s) when required.
                          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                          NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                            Many power and manual wheelchair manufacturers say in their warranty that the chair is not warrantied for driving, nor has it been crash tested. This is done from their legal dept. to try to avoid any liability issues.
                            (KLD)
                            If I remember right, I read the label or brochure on one of my manual chairs that it was not recommended for use in transporting in a vehicle. I took that to mean I couldn't sit in it while the chair was strapped to the foor in my van.
                            DaDutchman

Comment

Originally posted by DaDutchman View Post
                              If I remember right, I read the label or brochure on one of my manual chairs that it was not recommended for use in transporting in a vehicle. I took that to mean I couldn't sit in it while the chair was strapped to the foor in my van.
                              And yet if you are taking the bus or paratransit in your manual chair, you sit in the chair and are strapped in place (the frame of the chair, not you!). Like I said, it is just something they say to avoid having any liability if the chair fails during an accident...etc. You are not breaking the law...so it is not "illegal".

(KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X