Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone drive from their rigid manual chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are there any options out there to lock the chair down without having a bolt hanging off the bottom of the chair?

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
      No head restraint.

Most power chairs i see people drive from have no head rest.

There are a lot of vehicles out there with no head rest.

Jim
      Jim, MA, MMET
      Bridgewater, MA

Comment

I drive a Ford E150 using a Ti-Lite-TR with a ZX1. The EZ-Lock bolt is connected to the ZX1, so the TR remains unmodified. To provide stability and prevent tipping I installed a bracket on the floorboard that hooks over the WC frame at the footrest. It's a good system.
        Know Thyself

Comment

Originally posted by Rick1 View Post
          I drive a Ford E150 using a Ti-Lite-TR with a ZX1. The EZ-Lock bolt is connected to the ZX1, so the TR remains unmodified. To provide stability and prevent tipping I installed a bracket on the floorboard that hooks over the WC frame at the footrest. It's a good system.
          thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. Do you have any pictures of the floorboard bracket you put in?

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            And yet if you are taking the bus or paratransit in your manual chair, you sit in the chair and are strapped in place (the frame of the chair, not you!). Like I said, it is just something they say to avoid having any liability if the chair fails during an accident...etc. You are not breaking the law...so it is not "illegal".

(KLD)
            That's the funny part, well not really, that your chair is strapped in and you're not. It really makes no sense. That is one of my biggest fears, getting in an accident and hoping the vehicle doesn't roll because in most cases I'm only wearing a shoulder belt.
            DaDutchman
            C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Comment

Originally posted by Rick1 View Post
              your ez-lock should have anti tip hardware (it prevents you from tipping) integrated with the lockdown bracket.

Having something attached to your foot rest sounds sketchy.

Jim
              Jim, MA, MMET
              Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by DaDutchman View Post
                That's the funny part, well not really, that your chair is strapped in and you're not. It really makes no sense. That is one of my biggest fears, getting in an accident and hoping the vehicle doesn't roll because in most cases I'm only wearing a shoulder belt.
                The Ez-Lock is to hold you wheelchair kinda like how the bolts hold a oem chair in place.

Your seat belt keeps you in place, just like it should when seated in a oem seat.

I've know several people that have rolled. One went over a couple times.

I had one guy call many years after we build his van to thank us.

He thought we were busting his balls when we fit him and his seat belt making sure everything was as good as it could be.

I asked what happened.

He rolled his van and hung upside down for a while before someone cut him free.

Jim
                Jim, MA, MMET
                Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
                  thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. Do you have any pictures of the floorboard bracket you put in?
                  This also shows the rails that I mounted on both sides of the EZ-lock so that the front of the TR could glide over without getting hung-up.
                  Attached Files
                  Know Thyself

Comment

Ok, I saw the truck for the first time tonight and have some new info. He already has an EZ lock installed, but the bolt/bracket is on an extra folding chair he has. The problem is he was told there wasn't a way to mount a bolt/bracket to his TR, so that's why he can't use his everyday chair in the truck. Not sure why the shop couldn't put a bracket on his TR, so would any of you guys with TRs and EZ locks post some pics of the brackets on your chairs?
                    Last edited by Brad09; 05-11-2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I came across this, which seems like a pretty good solution, plus it's pretty light being aluminum. Any other ideas?

Comment

I have the same sort of set-up, but mine is not made of aluminum. It is made of steel. Also, I saw in an above picture a small piece of metal installed on the floor that is designed to prevent your chair from tipping back. I do not have said metal piece installed on my floor. If memory serves me correct, I haven't driven for just over a year, I had a similar looking device installed in front of the EZ-Lock system. I may have to double-check the next time I drive, which, I hope is in the not too distance future.
                        DaDutchman

Comment

Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
                          I came across this, which seems like a pretty good solution, plus it's pretty light being aluminum. Any other ideas?

I hope this isn't being used to secure the wheelchair in a moving vehicle.

Theres no way that would secure a wheelchair in a accident.

Jim
                          Jim, MA, MMET
                          Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post

Jim
                            Would you explain why you think it wouldn't? It looks very similar to the ones I see on EZ lock compatible chairs, aside from being aluminum. Is that your issue, or is it the gauge of the metal? If I built that same thing out of steel would that be better?

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post

Jim
                              I looked more closely to my chair set-up and I have that same piece of hardware on the floor shown in Rick1's picture. I then have a flat bar with a v-shaped opening that aligns up with the piece on the floor as shown in Rick1's picture. I then have the same bolt hanging down that locks into the interlock box on the floor. Those two connections are what keep my chair in place while driving. Please explain why you think this isn't secure enough for driving.

Thanks.
                              DaDutchman

Comment

For one thing, I don't believe any EZ lock brackets are made from aluminum, all steel.

Comment

Working...
                                X