Schwalbe One exploded @ 125 PSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwalbe One exploded @ 125 PSI

Tried to pump my new Schwalbe One to 125 psi and one of them exploded.
    I thought it could be faulty tubes, so i bought x2 new ones from Motion store and it happened again.
    On the schwalbe site, it says that Schwalbe One tire is able to hold 145 psi.
    Also noticed that at 125 psi, Schwalbe One tire starts to pop off the wheel itself.
    Using Spinergy Carbon Blade 24s.
    My old Marathon Plus hold 125 psi like champs.
    Anyone had similar problems? or Anyone ever put 125 psi in their Schwalbe Ones?

It sounds like the tube is failing, not the tire.

Not from chairs but from racing bicycles, most carbon rims do not want > 120 psi. Racers typically stick to under 100 psi for clinchers and under 90 for tubulars.

Also, are the tubes the right size? If they're a bit too big you can get a pinch flat upon inflating. I'm assuming you've done the standard check that no part of the tube is under the tire bead.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Forgot to mention, that's for wheelchair.
      @100 psi SO are kinda hard to turn. They were @110 psi befor i pumped them and were mediocre at turning.
      @125 psi explosions started to happen.

Comment

What is the sizing on the tires and tubes?

Comment

23-559 tires and 26x1(20-559) tubes(CST made in China ).

Comment

Are those tubes rated for high pressure? Perhaps try Schwalbe tubes and rim tape.

In your first post, wheels are indicated as 24; in later post, tires and tubes are indicated as 559. 24"=540; 25"(wheelchair)=559. If both posts are correct, your mismatched wheel and tire/tubes sizes explain the explosions and bead lift (tire pop off).
            Last edited by chasmengr; 27 Apr 2016, 7:24 PM.
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
              In your first post, wheels are indicated as 24; in later post, tires and tubes are indicated as 559. 24"=540; 25"(wheelchair)=559. If both posts are correct, your mismatched wheel and tire/tubes sizes explain the explosions and bead lift (tire pop off).
              Thanx for the heads up, i'll check if my wheels are 24 or 25. Could be a mistake during order.

Comment

Originally posted by Doxy View Post
                I try to avoid China made product, but some are still very good and cheap. Try Taiwan tube, they have a lot of good product for bike and wheelchair.
                Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

IME the tube explodes when the tire sidewall slips up/out of the wheel rim and the tube exits through the gap.

How can a tube "pop" otherwise?

I have a pair of old spoked plastic wheels that require a bit of trial and error to get the tire centered in them or they will blow with full pressure.
                  69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                  NW NJ

Comment

I have Schwalbe Ones on 25 inch rims. I run them at 120 with no problems, I buy my tubes from schwalbe as well. My guess is similar to others in the thread that it is the tube that is the problem.

Comment

Thanks alot for all the suggestions and advice! Really appreciate it.
                      My wheels seem to be the right size, 25.
                      But what i find odd, is that you can put Schwalbe Ones tires on them(TiLite Carbon Blade rims), with your bare hands without much strength. We hand to use tire levers to put my marathon plus on my old spinergy lx.
                      Guess i'll setup an appointment with my dealer to see if we can solve this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Doxy View Post
                        So for reference the 23-559 means a 23 mm tire. The tubes are 26-1 which means 1" or 25.4 mm. You should always use a tube that matches the tire. Typically you can find 19-23 mm tubes. Using the larger tube will lead to pinch flats at high pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                          So for reference the 23-559 means a 23 mm tire. The tubes are 26-1 which means 1" or 25.4 mm. You should always use a tube that matches the tire. Typically you can find 19-23 mm tubes. Using the larger tube will lead to pinch flats at high pressure.
                          Thanx! Will do so from now on.

Comment

Do you have the new TiLite Spinergy Carbon Blades?
                            If so, the carbon hub will expand at the high pressures and cause the tire to lose the bead. When this happens, the pressure of the tube will expand rapidly causing an explosion! Happened to me and my ears were hurting. If you fill the tubes to 120 and measure the flex of the hub, it will be significantly bigger than with no pressure in the tubes. When TiLite was contacted on the issue, they said that Spinergy is working for a solution but for now they informed me to not fill my tires up past 100 psi for the time being. This is a manufacturing issue on Spinergy and hopefully is resolved soon!

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                              I have Schwalbe Ones on 25 inch rims. I run them at 120 with no problems, I buy my tubes from schwalbe as well. My guess is similar to others in the thread that it is the tube that is the problem.
                              This thread made me check my tires and on one of my wheels the tire is popping over the rim. I think I am going to switch back to marathon plus tires. Fortunately I have a brand new set of the old style MPE tires so don't have to deal with the problems of the new version (yet).

Comment

Working...
                              X