Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all driving Quad's...anyone using push/rock hand controls?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Calling all driving Quad's...anyone using push/rock hand controls?

    I'm a C5-6 with "locking" tension in my hands which allows me to use right-angle controls & v-grip steering with no other mod's.

    Always used right-angle controls (35+ years), but for gas I get fatigue on extended use & hits my knee (limits) especially in mountain driving. Push-rock ere not available last time I bought a set of hand controls.

    I would very much appreciate any info., pros-cons, opinion, suggestions, mfg., etc...anything from fellow Quad's on push-rock vs right-angle.

    Thanks

    #2
    I can't speak in regards to the push-rock because I've never tried those. But for the push right angle and them hitting your knee, have you tried adjusting the throw of it? This makes it so it doesn't have to move as far down to reach full acceleration. I know they also make something that puts a jog in the bar to raise it up at the end and keep it from hitting your knee.

    For the fatigue issue, I just use cruise control any chance I get. And I mean ANY.

    Comment


      #3
      i alwayys used mpd right angle but decided to try push rock in my new van, hated them. the throttle was easier but braking with my hand thumb up really screwed me up. took them out and had my mpds installed, all good. have you removed or repositioned the throttle return on the hand control, that really helps. just be sure your handcontrol comes back to neutral

      Originally posted by bjack56 View Post
      I'm a C5-6 with "locking" tension in my hands which allows me to use right-angle controls & v-grip steering with no other mod's.

      Always used right-angle controls (35+ years), but for gas I get fatigue on extended use & hits my knee (limits) especially in mountain driving. Push-rock ere not available last time I bought a set of hand controls.

      I would very much appreciate any info., pros-cons, opinion, suggestions, mfg., etc...anything from fellow Quad's on push-rock vs right-angle.

      Thanks
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

      Comment


        #4
        My experience was the opposite of Fuentes. I used mpd's for over 10 years and thought they were decent, and yes, I found them hitting my knees too. I then tried the suregrips and haven't looked back. I liked it so much, I swapped my 2nd vehicle's mpd's with used suregrips, older version, I found on craigslist. It's so easy to use. Just resting my hand on the top with my elbow on the doorsill or armrest was enough to accelerate. Braking was about the same in terms of force required. The suregrips may travel a little farther when braking but I can't confirm. I haven't found a downside yet. I'm not sure why Fuentes said he had issues with braking, thumb up, because you can brake with your palm, thumb pointed to the right. Perhaps there wasn't enough room. In fact, the only time I grip the handle is when I'm making a hard left, and that's only to prevent me from falling over to the right. Isn't there a place in your area to try them out?

        Comment


          #5
          using your palm would be more of a tricep push, with zero tri's that angle gave me much less force from my shoulder.

          Originally posted by lazierdog View Post
          My experience was the opposite of Fuentes. I used mpd's for over 10 years and thought they were decent, and yes, I found them hitting my knees too. I then tried the suregrips and haven't looked back. I liked it so much, I swapped my 2nd vehicle's mpd's with used suregrips, older version, I found on craigslist. It's so easy to use. Just resting my hand on the top with my elbow on the doorsill or armrest was enough to accelerate. Braking was about the same in terms of force required. The suregrips may travel a little farther when braking but I can't confirm. I haven't found a downside yet. I'm not sure why Fuentes said he had issues with braking, thumb up, because you can brake with your palm, thumb pointed to the right. Perhaps there wasn't enough room. In fact, the only time I grip the handle is when I'm making a hard left, and that's only to prevent me from falling over to the right. Isn't there a place in your area to try them out?
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

          Comment


            #6
            I use push-pull MPD's that I modified with a tri-pin....love them
            Attached Files

            Comment


              #7
              Fuentes braking comment was probably one of my biggest concerns, other than the left turn issue has me nervous, but wife's an OT so should be able to come up with a fix. I think the SureGrip is closer to steering wheel than I would like. Some say it's annoying for able bodied driver, so looks like MPD or MPS push-rock would suit me better due to grip location.

              I'm also going from transfer to driving from chair due to shoulder problems. Two places in town do mobility equipment, but one is a real @#$^*. Contacting this week to see about trying or swap back if I don't like.

              Comment


                #8
                Trying to stay away from tri-pin, just a personal thing, but might have to consider your option.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I seem to use palm with right angles having no mods/add-ons , but my left is weakest & possible the vertical push/rock grip could be too different even though my other muscles have compensated for weak tricep.

                  Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                  using your palm would be more of a tricep push, with zero tri's that angle gave me much less force from my shoulder.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I'll definitely go with the jog if right angles. Mountain & city driving is a pain after a while...no cruise .

                    Originally posted by Tsquared View Post
                    I can't speak in regards to the push-rock because I've never tried those. But for the push right angle and them hitting your knee, have you tried adjusting the throw of it? This makes it so it doesn't have to move as far down to reach full acceleration. I know they also make something that puts a jog in the bar to raise it up at the end and keep it from hitting your knee.

                    For the fatigue issue, I just use cruise control any chance I get. And I mean ANY.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      i hear you, i can palm with my hand wrapped around the mpd no problem but when my hand was wrapped arround suregrip thumb, i didnt get the power im used to. heres another option with sure grips. just the end pivots, does not hit leg. i still didnt like them though. and yes they werre really in my wifes way, the push rock.

                      Originally posted by bjack56 View Post
                      I seem to use palm with right angles having no mods/add-ons , but my left is weakest & possible the vertical push/rock grip could be too different even though my other muscles have compensated for weak tricep.
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com
                      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                      sponsored handcycle racer

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Don't remember seeing those & did LOTS of searching. Even considered buying SureGrips from UTV/ATV sites a BUNCH cheaper, but couldn't find enough info. to cross reference the ATV model that would work on my ride. I did order SureGrip's quick release base & v-grip from ATV supplier for $155 total shipped, $50 less than online med shop.

                        Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                        i hear you, i can palm with my hand wrapped around the mpd no problem but when my hand was wrapped arround suregrip thumb, i didnt get the power im used to. heres another option with sure grips. just the end pivots, does not hit leg. i still didnt like them though. and yes they werre really in my wifes way, the push rock.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          these are their right angle version.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com
                          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                          sponsored handcycle racer

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Yea...got it. I assumed they worked like "other" right angle. Took another look after your post...thx a bunch. Think these would solve my issue with right angle.
                            Hopefully I can give them & MPD or MPS push-rock a test drive?

                            Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                            these are their right angle version.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X