Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any durable voice recognition headsets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any durable voice recognition headsets?

I am looking for a durable voice recognition headset. I am a quad and in bed on my back nearly 24/seven. Everything is run by computer using voice commands, my TV, lights, heat, telephone, etc.. Two thirds of the time I am wearing the headset. I find that the MIC line generally begins to break down within a month of use. Basic commands will still work but dictation deteriorates from recognizing sentences to only a single word. Eventually the break in the MIC line is so bad that simply turning my head will trigger a close or open command. I am replacing the headset every 2 to 3 months.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have avoided the wireless headsets, constantly changing batteries is not something I can do on my own and does not seem practical. Are the high end professional headsets any more durable? It seems like I've tried most of the products under $100.

Thank you.
    Last edited by QuadmanJr; 03-31-2016, 01:36 AM.

Maybe move away from the MIC input and use USB, which is more durable. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ffice-headset/

Comment

Although this might require a lot of engineering (and I might be able to get volunteers to help I might consider the amazon echo dot - not a headset but with excellent directional voice recognition -
      I might even have some higher tech suggestions but I need to explore some options

Comment

When I was AB, I swore by Plantronics wireless headsets for use on the phone at work. People on the other end couldn't even tell I was using a wireless headset. Very durable, and fabulous company support (after many months of use, static-electricity buildup begins to affect sound quality, but support will talk you through making it work like new again). Plantronics is a bit pricey, but worth every penny IMO.

When I medically retired, I gave my headset to my son to use at work. He loves it, too.
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
          Maybe move away from the MIC input and use USB, which is more durable. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ffice-headset/

Thank you for pointing me to "the wire cutters" web site. I found it to be very informative and I found a couple of potential headsets to add to my list.

As for durability, since it is at the Headphone/MIC end where the line breaks down I have had the same problem with both USB and traditional style MIC headsets. I suspect the weak link is where the boom-mic is attached.

Comment

Do you actualy require a headset? Have you thought about a sissor boom and a usb mic? something like:
            MIC + Boom

I use something like that for streaming, but I do use headphones, so I'm not sure how much interference other sounds may have on it.
            ---------
            C5-6 / '88

Comment

Originally posted by Reed-edm View Post
              Do you actualy require a headset? Have you thought about a sissor boom and a usb mic? something like:
              MIC + Boom. I use something like that for streaming, but I do use headphones, so I'm not sure how much interference other sounds may have on it.
              Yes, I have considered a scissor boom but I cannot think of a location to mount it that would not be in the way. My monitor is mounted on the ceiling directly above my hospital style bed. Considering how much money I am wasting on headsets I really should experiment, perhaps a boom-MIC but mounted to the side frame rail.

As for the ambient sound I think a directional cone can easily be made to cover the MIC and block out unwanted noise.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by QuadmanJr View Post
                I am looking for a durable voice recognition headset. I am a quad and in bed on my back nearly 24/seven. Everything is run by computer using voice commands, my TV, lights, heat, telephone, etc.. Two thirds of the time I am wearing the headset. I find that the MIC line generally begins to break down within a month of use. Basic commands will still work but dictation deteriorates from recognizing sentences to only a single word. Eventually the break in the MIC line is so bad that simply turning my head will trigger a close or open command. I am replacing the headset every 2 to 3 months.
                How do you get a computer to do all these things?
                Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                  How do you get a computer to do all these things?
                  I am using X10 and Zwave switches with a program called Home Control Assistant on my PC to operate lights, thermostats, appliances, front door lock, etc. For the telephone service I am simply using SKYPE. For the TV my PC has a CETON 6 tuner cable card installed; it is controlled by Windows Media Center, which I also use for viewing DVD movies and listening to music. I still need to add remote power curtains and windows, but they are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Reed-edm View Post
                    MIC + Boom. I use something like that for streaming, but I do use headphones, so I'm not sure how much interference other sounds may have on it.
                    I have considered this, but I'm not sure where I could mount the boom-MIC without it being in the way. My monitor TV is mounted to the ceiling above my hospitals style bed. Perhaps I could amount to the bed side rail. I really need to experiment with this because I'm wasting too much money on headsets.

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                      When I was AB, I swore by Plantronics wireless headsets for use on the phone at work.
                      How long does it last before needing to recharge the batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by QuadmanJr View Post
                        How long does it last before needing to recharge the batteries?
                        At least 10 hrs. I'd put it in the charging cradle every night after work. It never died on me.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3
                        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                        <
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                        X