No announcement yet.

Dirty handrims... why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just spray paint it or paint it with some polyurethane... works great.
    you might need to do it a few times a year. its a 15 minute jobbie, dries quickly, is transparent... and does not give any burning feeling when breaking.
    dont use the water based one...
    http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...rior-exterior/
    http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...shes/interior/

cheers,

chris
    Last edited by ckhouri; 18 Mar 2016, 2:51 AM. Reason: did not complete post

Comment

love the plastidip product, but will not work for something that involves rubbing. the layer will just come off....

Comment

Originally posted by ckhouri View Post
        love the plastidip product, but will not work for something that involves rubbing. the layer will just come off....
        Good to know. Thanks.

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

I remain unconvinced of why exactly this is happening. Obviously it was nearish this time last year when my handrims were doing this. It's been very intermittent. Sometimes it's really bad and sometimes there is no problem, I can push for miles without blacking my hands. From maybe July to December I could push 5 or 10 miles at work (indoors on flat surfaces) every day without a significant amount of blacking (although I probably washed my hands 3 or 4 times over the course of the day when I take a piss. Lately I can't go 300 feet without one of my hands getting visibly dirty. Which is another thing that I find really weird, it's just one wheel. My wheels rotate all the time because every time I get in or out of the car they end up on the opposite side (by chance, this just happens in the routine I developed of loading and unloading the chair). The side that gets my hand dirty is a little shinier than the other, but I also can't think why.

In retrospect it seems to be dry climates/times of the year when things get bad - winter, or trips to the desert.

I should just quit my whining and spray some paint of the rims, but it's weird to me that it will go away for months and months at a time, then come back unpredictably and only affect one wheel.

Comment

Aluminum oxidation is a grey/black powder. It could also be the metal itself. Raw aluminum is very, very soft. Dry enough hands could scour it a bit. Some soaps/cleaners also chemically react with aluminum and create a blackish powdery residue (which is technically a type of oxidation, I think.)
            Last edited by Oddity; 1 Feb 2017, 5:59 AM.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
              Did you prep the rim any?

I'm sure there's some of the original clearcoat in places on the rim, so I feel like I might need to sand it down a little before I spray it.
              I'd give it a quick rub with some steel wool before spraying lacquer.
              "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
              T5/6 complete

Comment

I once tried the Plastidip spray on my rims. It didn't last long. Began to peel and shred off. Ended up removing all of it and, just use the hand rims as they originally came on the chair
                I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtop1 View Post
                  I once tried the Plastidip spray on my rims. It didn't last long. Began to peel and shred off. Ended up removing all of it and, just use the hand rims as they originally came on the chair
                  Wonder if any of the Flex Seal products would work better. They have tape (4 & 8 inches wide), spray, and liquid. http://www.flexsealproducts.com/

Comment

I've been running natural fit push rims for a couple of years now and it seems like the coating doesn't wear off of them like the Tilite rims. Haven't had black hands since I started using them. You can find them used on this site in the for sale section or on Ebay for a reasonable price.
                    Push me to the limit,
                    maybe I may bend,
                    but I will not be broken.
                    -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I've had the same problem myself. My solution has been to wear full fingered bicycle gloves whenever I'm out and about.

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. . ."
                      --J.P. Sartre

Comment

Working...
                      X