Ford Transit Reviews???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Transit Reviews???

Does anyone have the Ford Transit (the larger van, not the Transit Connect) as a wheelchair van? I'm looking at this van, but it sounds like a lot of adapting. I'm just needing the lift, hand controls and rotating drivers seat to transfer into. We also need seating for about 9. Not asking for much.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Chevy- http:///forum/showthread.php?251181-...83#post1779183

Comment

Originally posted by WheelieMike View Post
      Does anyone have the Ford Transit (the larger van, not the Transit Connect) as a wheelchair van? I'm looking at this van, but it sounds like a lot of adapting. I'm just needing the lift, hand controls and rotating drivers seat to transfer into. We also need seating for about 9. Not asking for much.

seating for you, your wheelchair +9 people?

Sounds like a small bus might work better.

Jim
      Jim, MA, MMET
      Bridgewater, MA

Comment

no more needed than any other full size. no problem with lift, transfer seat etc. only thing that I'm not sure of is if braun has finished the door operator. give them a call.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I looked at them last summer and they need a lot of modifications to make a lift strong enough. Also the floor in the back is lower than the driver side area. Which means more modifications need to be done to make the floor level from the front to the back. I just thought they were too expensive by the time they were modified but that's just my opinion.

Comment

really? I just one at the mobility dealer. the guy said wasn't anymore work than other full size jobs

Originally posted by handibob View Post
            I looked at them last summer and they need a lot of modifications to make a lift strong enough. Also the floor in the back is lower than the driver side area. Which means more modifications need to be done to make the floor level from the front to the back. I just thought they were too expensive by the time they were modified but that's just my opinion.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com

Comment

I talked to two different companies and they both said that they were having the same problem. They told me not to worry, that they would come up with a solution eventually. One salesman told me he actually saw the framing of the van and it collapsed after they put the lift on that they were going to have to do an additional modifications.

Comment

heres one with door operators as well. looks good. maybe depends on chasis size?
                Last edited by fuentejps; 10 Feb 2016, 6:03 PM.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

Ford Transits look like they would work very well for what I need but my dealer has told me that it isn't possible to set up to drive from the wheelchair. Anyone know about the possibilities of this and if they are working on getting it figured out? Mini vans are too small for my family so it pretty much leaves me used full size Ford E series to choose from. I've looked closely at the modified suburbans but I just don't see how being trapped in the drivers area works for people. I need to be able to help the kids with the car seats and put stuff in the back. Being confined to just a little corner of the car seems crazy to me.

Comment

how about the Mercedes sprinter or dodge full size.
                    Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                    Ford Transits look like they would work very well for what I need but my dealer has told me that it isn't possible to set up to drive from the wheelchair. Anyone know about the possibilities of this and if they are working on getting it figured out? Mini vans are too small for my family so it pretty much leaves me used full size Ford E series to choose from. I've looked closely at the modified suburbans but I just don't see how being trapped in the drivers area works for people. I need to be able to help the kids with the car seats and put stuff in the back. Being confined to just a little corner of the car seems crazy to me.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com

Comment

The problem with a transfer seat or driving from your wheelchair, is the battery is located under the drivers seat. It needs to be relocated, but you (dealer) have to find a relocation spot, they don't give you any suggestions. Also, that area is a no drill zone, because of the gas tank, so then your dealer and Ford gets to fight over who is responsible for warranty work if anything comes up down the road. It would be a GREAT wheelchair van, if Ford hadn't dropped the ball on the battery location
                      Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Comment

I guess I don't know anything about the Dodge Promaster or Mercedes Sprinter. Are you able able to drive from your wheelchair?

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                          I guess I don't know anything about the Dodge Promaster or Mercedes Sprinter. Are you able able to drive from your wheelchair?
                          not certain, give your mobility dealer a call.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

Hey guys, I also looked at the dodge pro master. I didn't like it at all, the entire rear section has to be outfitted with the subfloor in any kind of sitting in the back is aftermarket While on the test drive some of the aftermarket additions were falling apart which made me very concerned. I am not a big fan of any conversions since as was mentioned before then you run into warranty issues as to who is going to fix what if there's a problem. I eventually, looked at MV-1 and everything I was trying to do with the full-size vans was already done on the MV-1. The floor which is already done the interior and plenty of space I could ride shotgun upfront with no problem and I'm very comfortable as far as being able to repair the vehicle if needed. It has a Ford Drive train and the vehicle is built by a.m. general. I found some new 2014's on eBay in the low 30s and I eventually bought one. Like it a lot. Bob

Comment

I have a sprinter and I love it!! The mobility dealers don't seem to like them prolly because they don't make as much on them. They also have a 4x4 version now. I have the 2wd with the 4 cylinder diesel and I get 23 mpg no matter where or what. What I like about it is that all the windows extend up very high making looking out very nice when I decide to stay in my chair.

Comment

Working...
                              X