No announcement yet.

Sportaid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sam10685 - Those curvy metal rims look like something on a Hot Wheels vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by WC_Sage View Post
      sam10685 - Those curvy metal rims look like something on a Hot Wheels vehicle.
      I think that too. Lol! I like them though. Can't wait til I can put them on this chair. Right now I'm using them as inspiration, (along with help from family/friends/now you guys), as inspiration to keep going. (I have more than a few reasons to give up right now unfortunately.)
      I'm Sam.

Comment

If you have a twisted mind like I do, they look like something else too......
        I'm Sam.

Comment

You realize they are going to be much heavier than your Dino. I had Dinos for a couple of years and demoed wheels very similar to the ones pictured. They looked great but I was spoiled by the lightness of the Dinos. As much as I dislike Spinergy Corp., I went back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
            You realize they are going to be much heavier than your Dino. I had Dinos for a couple of years and demoed wheels very similar to the ones pictured. They looked great but I was spoiled by the lightness of the Dinos. As much as I dislike Spinergy Corp., I went back to them.
            Why not go with Dino's Patrick?
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
              When the tires are inflated to max capacity, the weight of the chair/wheels make no difference. I've had a 40 pound chair, a 20 pound chair and this is a 15 pound chair. The air in the tires made them all feel the same. The Natural Fit hand-rims on the Dino's made it even easier. Thank you for the comment though! (I've been in a wheelchair for 15 years almost.)
              I'm Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by sam10685 View Post
                When the tires are inflated to max capacity, the weight of the chair/wheels make no difference. I've had a 40 pound chair, a 20 pound chair and this is a 15 pound chair. The air in the tires made them all feel the same. The Natural Fit hand-rims on the Dino's made it even easier. Thank you for the comment though! (I've been in a wheelchair for 15 years almost.)
                Weight does matter (I've been in a wheelchair for 31 years almost.)

Comment

Originally posted by giles88 View Post
                  Weight does matter (I've been in a wheelchair for 31 years almost.)
                  I think it matters a lot less than we're led to believe by companies marketing chairs. All else being equal and ideal between 2 chairs, meaning fit and function are perfect in both, the lighter chair is generally the better choice. Especially if transferring it to and from a car is part of your regular routine. There is a noticeable difference in the pain I feel in my elbow and shoulder between my 2 most frequently used chairs. One is 10lbs lighter than the other.

It does matter. Not to everyone, and perhaps not for the same reasons, granted, and also not to the extent the hype would have us believe weight matters, but it is a factor worth considering.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                    I think it matters a lot less than we're led to believe by companies marketing chairs. All else being equal and ideal between 2 chairs, meaning fit and function are perfect in both, the lighter chair is generally the better choice. Especially if transferring it to and from a car is part of your regular routine. There is a noticeable difference in the pain I feel in my elbow and shoulder between my 2 most frequently used chairs. One is 10lbs lighter than the other.

It does matter. Not to everyone, and perhaps not for the same reasons, granted, and also not to the extent the hype would have us believe weight matters, but it is a factor worth considering.
                    I agree, weight is not the primary factor for deciding on which chair to get. I also think that weight becomes more important as you age, less weight equals less joint pain. At the stage in life where i am at now, weight is a very important factor. Equally important are bearings, ceramic hybrids are what i use now.

Comment

Make sure you have fully inflated tires (Schwalbe Marathon Pluses are really good with 145psi max. pressure) and all will be good for you.
                      I'm Sam.

Comment

Bearings are something I have never really considered. Still running the same ones that came in my everyday chair nearly 7years ago. All 4 Wheels still spin freely. Should I consider changing them anyway?
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Bearings are something I have never really considered. Still running the same ones that came in my everyday chair nearly 7years ago. All 4 Wheels still spin freely. Should I consider changing them anyway?
                          I would suggest you get a set of ceramic hybrids and replace them, try them out and feel the difference. 7 years use on the original set of bearings that came in your chair!??

Comment

If the wheels spin freely buys new bearings is a waste of money (and time, bearings are a pain to replace). Keeping your tires inflated to 120 psi gets you more than any bearing could.

Comment

Yup. Every one. All 4 wheels and the fork stems. Same tires, too. One original inner tube. (Schwalbe Marathons and their full steel stem tubes.). I even ride this thing into the shower every couple of months. Granted, I have a second chair dedicated as a "lawn chair" the that sees all the dirty uses. That was is 2 years newer and still all original. Tubes and tires included. I reckon I must be really easy on my chairs!

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                                If the wheels spin freely buys new bearings is a waste of money (and time, bearings are a pain to replace). Keeping your tires inflated to 120 psi gets you more than any bearing could.
                                Yeah, I suspect so. Just pumped my junk up to their max of 145psi this morning and am loving it, for sure. Was down to ~60psi. Losing 15lbs wouldn't hurt, either!

Comment

Working...
                                X