2014 Toyota Sienna Tire Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Toyota Sienna Tire Wear

I'm at 30,000 miles and needing new tires soon. Anyone else have issues with tires wearing fast on their Sienna?

I have two Sienna AWD vehicles with the running no flat tires. I only get 30 to 35,000 out of a set. I run 38 pounds of air so the tires wear from the center out. Winters are tuff , so check the air weekly to every two weeks. I rotate every 5,000. I like the tire because I had two flats in the last few years and had time to drive to an auto center for repair. If it was a regular tire , I would be screwed.

I have had experience with the no flats for eight years and its hard to get over 35,000 out of a set.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMonte View Post
      I have two Sienna AWD vehicles with the running no flat tires. I only get 30 to 35,000 out of a set. I run 38 pounds of air so the tires wear from the center out. Winters are tuff , so check the air weekly to every two weeks. I rotate every 5,000. I like the tire because I had two flats in the last few years and had time to drive to an auto center for repair. If it was a regular tire , I would be screwed.

I have had experience with the no flats for eight years and its hard to get over 35,000 out of a set.
      30,000-35,000 that's not good. I love the van but will not buy another one if I have to keep buying tires. We will see what happens when I have to get new tires.

Comment

What brand, model of tires? What kind of driving, city, highway, mix? Are all four worn out or just the fronts? What kind of wear- pics would be best.
        A lot of things lead to good/bad tire wear.

Comment

The running no flats are a real heavy tire but do wear. I drive a lot of highway and in a rural area. Plus with new tread specs on inspection its hard to keep these tires past 35,000 miles. I have tried everything. I know some people install regular tires on them. I run 18" P235/55RF18 tires by Bridgestone Turanza. They ride smooth. I rather have a great ride than get an extra ten thousand miles on a tuff tire. Try a good 50,000 mile tire and see how they work but they will not be the no flats. Best of luck.

Comment

I have a Toyota Carolla and have the same issue! The tires I used to put on it are supposed to get 60,000-80,000 miles but are only getting 30,000 at most so I went with the cheap 30,000 ones and get that if I am lucky.
            T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
              30,000-35,000 that's not good. I love the van but will not buy another one if I have to keep buying tires. We will see what happens when I have to get new tires.

What brand tires?

How often were they rotated?

How often was the front end aligned?

How many miles do you think you should have gotten out of them?

Iv'e seen people wear tires out in as little as 15k miles.

Low tire pressure and not rotating tires will wear them out really fast.

Jim
              Jim, MA, MMET
              Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
                What brand tires?

How often were they rotated?

How often was the front end aligned?

How many miles do you think you should have gotten out of them?

Iv'e seen people wear tires out in as little as 15k miles.

Low tire pressure and not rotating tires will wear them out really fast.

Jim
                BF Goodrich. Rotated every oil change (5000 miles). Front end hasn't been aligned. They never said it needed it. I better get them to check it. I didn't think about all the factors that can cause tire wear.

Comment

I have the same problem with my 08 Sienna. I working on my third set with 78,000 miles! (The RAV4 I had before my accident got over 60K a set).I do keep it aligned and I also rotate every 5K with my oil change. I use very good Michelin tires but they still wear out unevenly. The front right tire always looks low and I have to add more air than normal to make it look even close to normal. My Toyota guy thinks the weight of my fold out ramp on the right side of the van is what messes up the tires.

Comment

With most problems Toyota service always wants to blame the modifications. My Pirelli's lasted 28k. Tread was literally pealing off. Get handling tire but didn't handle the Sienna weight well. Yokohamas went 38k. Type of road surface can affect tire wear. Rough surface or driving on chip sealed roads will wear out tires quicker than smooth asphalt. Carolla weighs half of a Sienna. Less friction, lasts longer.

Comment

If you have a ramp van, we've noticed the tires wear unevenly faster. We rotate tires every time we get an oil change.
                      (2008 Honda with in-floor ramp)

Comment

You don't get the tire depth you use to. Today about 30,000 to 35,000 miles is it. Plus the tire material is not like it use to be 8 to 10 years ago..
                        Obama did all this shit with his cash for clunkers......now you pay top dollar for car parts now. Dealer parts they double the MRSP price also. All this cause your car wont be worth fixing in 8 years so cheaper to buy a new one. 10 years it will be out dated just on the electronics. Was told this by factory Rep. Good car can't find parts for it and get it programed.
                        I guess Obama things everybody makes 100,00 plus a year.
                        Art

Comment

Keep in mind that some mfr's spec a shallower tread depth for oem tires for various reasons. So you start with less on a new car, and they 'wear out' quicker. Then when you get some standard version of the same model tires, it does last longer due to several /32'nds more tread to start with. But 30K on tires seems about average to me, but I typically don't go for max mileage tires, I like having good traction too.

Comment

So 30,000 miles is about average. Getting my oil changed this week so I'll find out what they suggest.

Comment

I'm going to go on a bit of an in depth explanation here, but it may come across as a rant, just for the warning...

Back when I first started driving almost 20 years ago, I only drove pickup trucks. I would do semi regular tire rotations, and I could always get the expected or even better than expected life out of tires.

Then after my injury I started driving a minivan. Couldn't believe how much faster I'd wear through tires, even with doing MORE alignments and tire rotations than I ever used to. So after my first minivan reached the end of its life, I got a mazda5. I knew they were known to be tire eaters, but I was determined to figure out WHY and figure out the solution.

It dawned on me one day that back in my truck days, they always had a solid rear axle. So rotations allow 2 of your tires to get "re-set" in their wear while on the rear, even if front alignment isn't perfect.

But with front wheel drive cars and minivans today, the rear suspension is independent and they don't have a solid rear axle. Look at most front wheel drive cars and minivans on the road today and notice how the rear wheels lean in at the top. The technical term for this is camber. And the manufacturer specs typically call for some camber in the front too.

So no matter how perfect the "toe" aspect of your alignment is, the tires are going to always have more load on the inside of the tread, no matter how often you rotate them.

So what I found is that on most vehicles, including the Mazda5, you can get an alignment shop to install components that are available from various companies to get your rear wheels into an "upright" position, much like a solid rear axle pickup truck. I've had this on my mazda5 now for over 2 years and 30k miles and tire wear is going great! You just need to find an alignment shop that will ignore the manufacturer spec for rear camber and set them to zero.

I would recommend any minivan owner, especially owners of ramp vans, to see what is available for their vehicle (Specialty Products Company is a great place to start), and find an alignment shop that will install for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X