airless tire inserts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airless tire inserts?

I am tired of finding a flat tire whenever I need to use my manual chair which I don't use much. so I want airless inserts. I believe my tires are primo 25x1, any recommendations?
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

no personal experience; just a google: airless inserts for 25 x 1 (25-559).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

My provider seems to think that everyone is preferring airless tires over inserts. He claims that the airless tires perform better. But, he could just be saying that because he hates to install inserts.
      C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

I just checked and have airless TIRES on my manual, but it doesn't get used much. These are not the solid rubber things that are on hospital chairs. They look very similar to pneumatics. Mine are some no name tire (doesn't have any branding on it, just the size and the word "floater" whatever that means). Anyway, I believe they cost about the same as inserts, but, they are much easier to install (with the right tool) so the installed price is much less. Everyone that I have ever talked to hates to install inserts. I used to have inserts and my provider talked me into these when my tread was gone. (btw- with either airless tires or inserts, you have to basically cut off the tire to change them). Also, I think my old inserts were foam and over time started getting spongy. Anyway, as little as I use my manual, these airless tires feel to me about the same as the pneumatics. I can't really tell any difference. They might weigh a little more, but again, I'm not a high performance user, and the weight difference is insignificant for someone lifting the chair into a car.
        Last edited by Kulea; 12-03-2015, 01:30 AM.
        C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

The solids are heavier but with the 110 psi rated tires I didn't notice any difference in exertion to push. There's very little surface to surface contact with the ones that I use and it seems to make pushing easier. But, they are stiff and provide very little shock absorption. They do wear well. I change mine out maybe every 2 to 3 years.

Comment

I have used Shox or Kik tires for 20 years. I have enough to worry about beside putting air in my tires or running over a staple.
            "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

You can buy the solid inserts here: http://www.dmehub.net/Wheelchair-Ure...-p/nes-afi.htm

A few years ago, I bought wheels and tires from them. The owner installed the solid inserts prior to shipping. Adds weight but beats having to go the bike store to fix flats.

Comment

I know on my first old chair was a Quickie 24" inserts. I wore tire down far enough to see. They were either particle board or cork. That what it looked like. They were HEAVY.

Comment

ah yes I forgot about the installation problem. thanks everyone, think I'll go with the shox tires.

Comment

Bike shop can install them for you. There's typically a muscular, bearded, macho guy there that'll help you. For a woman like you? You'd have dudes lining up to do it. Do waste the time trying to do it yourself. They NEVER break down...YEARS ))

Comment

A respectable bike shop will do any wheelchair wheel/tire work for you . I guarantee you would not be the first disabled person to have asked them.

Comment

yeah I'm planning on asking the bike shop that fixed my flats. thanks.

Comment

Is there a certain tool I should make sure the shop has to install the shox? I don't want them to damage anything.

Comment

I bought the tool that Shox recommended to use. I have someone help me install mine. When I used tubed tires, the bike shop here punctured 4 inner tubes trying to install them on my Spinergy rims. I doubt that the shop here could mount the Shox. I would ask if they have ever installed them before to be on the safe side, maybe?

There are videos on youtube demonstrating different ways to install solid tires. One shows the tool that I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qctPRiL4nYY
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9Anud7Ocg
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIwU0aWbMWM

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
                              Is there a certain tool I should make sure the shop has to install the shox? I don't want them to damage anything.
                              I had Shox tires put on my manual chair the last time I needed tires and the bike shop that normally changes my tires had no problems with them. In retrospect they do have more rolling resistance than my Schwalbes did, a big difference for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X