Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need general advice on how to make it easiest to transfer into sedan w/ manual chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to original posters needs... I didn't see AWD in original requirements, and even Ion and RX-8 were mentioned. If AWD is a requirement, that rules out mazda5 as well.

Sliding doors are chair users friend if want to leave chair completely assembled. The 2nd car for my family in the near future will be the same ramp / winch setup, but in an AWD Sienna. The middle row drivers side 60% comes out and leaves bars perfect to anchor things to. That's the only sliding door or suicide door vehicle I know of with AWD.

Comment

Pretty sure getting Subaru Outback. Is somewhat high. Whenever uncle takes me anywhere it is a Chevy about same height as Outback. I am 6'2" can stand with arms. His car I always turn and put rear in first and then legs. I am fairly flexible so lifting legs, I think should not be issue. Have tried sitting behind wheel in my Jeep. Long time ago, but did get there. Do you need to use arms to get legs into vehicle?

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      I figure doing it normal (ish) style works best. You don't go in feet first when you are walking, so why change? Less jacking around with your legs I think

Comment

Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
        Do you need to use arms to get legs into vehicle?
        Yes, no leg function. Good choice on the Outback, I know 2 people with those and they are pretty cool.

And to add to the side opening minivan-putting chair in whole discussion: Take a look at the new version Transit Connect. Not as gay looking as before, and seemed pretty nice for function. I liked the driving position too, not sitting on the floor like with cars. But not such a high transfer like with many minivans. I'd get one, but 23K for a 'beater' type vehicle...I think I'll stick with stuff found at the government auction lot, lol. But if you are not much of a car guy...it seems to be the ticket for one heck of a functional vehicle for our purposes.

Comment

I checked out one of the newer transit connects. Was a much higher and more difficult transfer than my mazda5. I actually had an easier time getting into the Ford Flex. All the more reason a person has to try out the various options for themselves I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by juniorsenior View Post
            second on the mazda 5. i love its an even transfer to the seat. i can go in the rear and put the seats up (can carry 3 other people) or put them down and have a full cargo area that is extremely handy
            This looks like a very good option. But I noticed that mazda is unfortunately planning to discontinue this model after 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
              This looks like a very good option. But I noticed that mazda is unfortunately planning to discontinue this model after 2015.
              This shouldn't really deter anyone. Can still be found new at dealers now until inventory is gone, and good used ones will be around for at least 5 or so years. I bought my 2006 model in 2013 and have put 35k miles on it since. No issues.

Back to original poster, has any info in this thread been helpful?

Comment

I think most cars would work. some work better than others. I think the most important is that you will have to adapt to whatever you get. My first car after my accident was an Infiniti i35. it was a great car for people like us. all the power (memory power seat, mirror, etch.) did make my life a little easier. Also, the i35 hood has gas struts. All I had to do was pop the hood and lightly lift it up and the struts would do the rest. Now, I have a Subaru outback. its's much higher than the i35, which makes disassembling the chair a little more difficult. interior and trunk space are also smaller than the i35. no memory seat, so I have to adjust the seat every time I get in and out of the car. The hood doesn't have struts so I can't open the hood to jump battery or check fluids. little things like that make a big different on wear and tear on our shoulders.
                If I have to buy another car I would go out and rent the car I'm looking to buy for a few days to see if I can adapt to it.
                T3 Complete
                to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

sigpic

Comment

I'm a T4,5,6 incomplete with rods and I drive a 3 series BMW sedan and I use a Tilite TR3. I put the wheels in the backseat on the passenger side and the rest of my chair goes in the front passenger seat setting just like you would be setting in it.

BMW makes AWD sedan cars as well.
                  SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                  T4,5,6 Incomplete
                  Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

Working...
                  X