No announcement yet.

Icon wheelchair - I need you help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched to an Icon over a year ago, and tweaked the fit until it seemed to fit just right. In mid December, I had to get some work done on the seat pan. I pushed around in my backup chair for 2 days. I hated it! It did not have enough dump, the back angle was wrong, and there was no suspension. I felt like I was riding on the chair instead of in it. I check the torque on the nuts and bolts every 3 or 4 months, and have had to tighten the central tube collar once to stop a creaking noise. I can not see going back to anything else.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Why not buying Wheelline, Korean custom made chair?
      Much convenience for you.
      Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Thanks for more replies to me, Donno and sowseng.

I have not received the demo chair yet because the sales person have not received rigidizer for the chair yet. I will wait one more week and probably have to go with Tilite, the alternative idea.
        This whole process is painful and I am losing my patience.

Will let you know the progress of my ordering.

Happy new year to you all !

Comment

Happy New Year to you. Sorry the ordering process is so bad for you. A lot of us go through that. I think Tilite makes great chairs, some of the best. I went from a Tilite to an Icon though. They are different and I can't make a direct comparison but I can make the Icon fit me better and unlike other chairs, I can change my settings. I've done that a lot. I've changed my seat angle (seat dump), seat height and back angle. Sometimes it depends for a while on my body and what it needs. For a while I had a nearly flat seat angle and it worked but then I needed more support and changed it. The same for the other settings. I love Tilite and if I knew my measurements better and was willing to commit to one set of them, I would love to get a Tilite TR3. The Icon has been working out though and letting me do things I otherwise could not. I will also add that to me, the Icon seems indestructible. Tilite's are very tough too. I am just surprised at how tough the Icon is since it is a very different design and has moving parts.

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
            Why not buying Wheelline, Korean custom made chair?
            Much convenience for you.
            Yes, I heard the brand. However, I heard that the quality of that brand has not been fully examined. And most of all, I am now in the US and will go back to Korean after July. A similarly equippted chair is 30 or more expensive in Korea.
            I will check and go for their chairs for the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
              I switched to an Icon over a year ago, and tweaked the fit until it seemed to fit just right. In mid December, I had to get some work done on the seat pan. I pushed around in my backup chair for 2 days. I hated it! It did not have enough dump, the back angle was wrong, and there was no suspension. I felt like I was riding on the chair instead of in it. I check the torque on the nuts and bolts every 3 or 4 months, and have had to tighten the central tube collar once to stop a creaking noise. I can not see going back to anything else.
              I can second that. I bought an Icon as a backup wheelchair and now it is my primary. I just wish I could figure out how to hook it up to my ZX1

Comment

I can third that. I am just waiting for a new cushion to arrive before putting my Icon in to full-time service (after a year of part-time use). I've been having some back issues around my fixation, with rib heads popping out, and need more support. The Icon being so easy to configure for specific needs (hopefully short term in my case) is a real life saver! I originally configured this chair exactly the same as my everyday chair, but now it is setup completely different, yet still performing very well! That is terrific, very convenient, and also saves me a ton of money.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

You guys are sucking me into a sale, lol. Question, a weight didn't immediately jump out at me on the website...how much heavier is this in comparison to whatever frame chair you guys had before minus wheels/cushion? Don't want to build up my bicep hauling the frame into my car any more than currently.

Comment

It is noticably heavier than my Lasher BT-Mg, but so is nearly everything! I haven't worked out a great car transfer yet. I'm so accustomed to using the ridgidizer, and the cross bar for the back is too low to use the same way on the Icon. I'm sure I'll get used to it after a while and settle into a new process/habit. I'll hang it off my luggage scale and post its exact weight.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                      It is noticably heavier than my Lasher BT-Mg, but so is nearly everything! I haven't worked out a great car transfer yet. I'm so accustomed to using the ridgidizer, and the cross bar for the back is too low to use the same way on the Icon. I'm sure I'll get used to it after a while and settle into a new process/habit. I'll hang it off my luggage scale and post its exact weight.
                      Please post its exact weight. Last time I test drove it, it was very heavy to me but I was able to manage it anyhow. Yet, I am not sure if I want to handle the weight 3-4 times a day. I also guess that I might felt it heavy because it did not have a crossbar.

Since many of you praise the chair, it is hard to give up Icon chair. I am thinking of getting a tilite if Icon salesperson will not deliver the demo chair in a week.

Comment

And another question: Does the backrest lock in a down position? Or will it go back unfolded should you turn the frame upside down?

Comment

My backrest doesn't lock down, but that might be an option. FWIW, there is enough friction in the folding mechanism, if you set it up to have it, that it is not floppy, at all. It won't open under its own weight how I have mine torqued down, but is still very easy to manually fold/open. Hanging everything but wheels and cushion off my luggage scale I get 17.5lbs. That is heavier than my Lashers, which read ~11lbs. It is in the ball bark of a standard design aluminum chair, but it has a lot of features (I.e. more adjustable settings, Unitines w/4" FLAHSR casters, fixed aluminum side guards, and the suspension!). There is no doubt a weight cost to having the extra features but I find it to perform better. Being able to set it up right to the edge of stability (forward, backward, and side to side), and perfect ergonomics, for a given person, translates into the best possible performance.Suspension is very nice, too!Eta, my Quickie GT comes in at 21lbs, on the same scale, without wheels or cushion, same basic setup (casters and side guards). ZRA would probably run somewhere between 15 and 20, educated guess, depending on feature set.3
                          Last edited by Oddity; 14 Jan 2016, 1:35 PM.

Comment

Although, the absence of Jeff Adams from threads regarding his product, especially from customers and potential customers, makes me wonder what might be going on internally with Icon. He used to be a very active advocate and customer support presence for Icon around here. I know nothing, but this is conspicuous.

Comment

Still here - we sold half of Icon to our European distributor, so I've been buried in that for the last number of months, as we've been focused on getting them up and running in EU.

@jungsik - if you need any help, let me know - jeff@iconwheelchairs.com - if you can email me the name of the sales rep, I'll get in touch with him to make sure he has the right support.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
                                Still here - we sold half of Icon to our European distributor, so I've been buried in that for the last number of months, as we've been focused on getting them up and running in EU.@jungsik - if you need any help, let me know - jeff@iconwheelchairs.com - if you can email me the name of the sales rep, I'll get in touch with him to make sure he has the right support.
                                Awesome! Glad to hear things are going well! Thanks for checking in. Was a little worried.

Comment

Working...
                                X