Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this Forum/Need Wheelchair Advice if Possible Please

Greetings, All,

I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Carmen. If possible, I would like to get some insight on manual wheelchairs that have the quick release rear wheel feature. I have several disabilities, including, chronic pain (Peripheral Neuropathy). I do have a service dog, an Australian Shepherd, that assists me tremendously. Other aids that I use are canes, a walker and crutches.

The friend that referred me to this forum has a TiLite ZRA that she absolutely loves and recommends. This happens to be the same chair that I had my eyes on. Unfortunately, I am on an extremely TIGHT budget and cannot purchase a TiLite at this time.

I have been looking at the Karman S-115Q and the Karman LT700-TQ.

My concern is that even though the price of the Karman LT700-TQ is ideal for me at this time, it weighs 37 pounds. I have not seen this chair in person yet as I was unable to drive yesterday.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much.
    Carmen
    I am deaf to your words until your actions give me a reason to listen. ~ Trent Shelton

You won't see anyone wanting a Karman here. If you are patient, and on a tight budget you can shop Craigslist, especially being in SoCal. This is one that may or may not fit you, and is likely sold by now but at $300 it is typical of the deals for lightweight chairs that do come up from time to time. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hab/5164282126.html
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
      You won't see anyone wanting a Karman here. If you are patient, and on a tight budget you can shop Craigslist, especially being in SoCal. This is one that may or may not fit you, and is likely sold by now but at $300 it is typical of the deals for lightweight chairs that do come up from time to time. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hab/5164282126.html
      Wow, NoNoise! Thank you so much for your input! I am so glad I asked here on this forum. With what you have told me, I will continue looking.

If possible, would you please be ever so kind as letting me know which brands are reputable?

Thanks again ;-)
      I am deaf to your words until your actions give me a reason to listen. ~ Trent Shelton

Comment

Do you have any DME coverage with your insurance? Why are you only purchasing out of your own pocket?

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Do you have any DME coverage with your insurance? Why are you only purchasing out of your own pocket?

(KLD)
          Hello SCI...

I did have DME coverage, however, I was informed that it had been cancelled when I was in the hospital due to one of my falls last month and was told that I need to re-apply every 12 months, which is what I am doing. It makes no sense to me since nothing has changed for me (other than declining health) and I have zero income. Having said this, it will possibly take me another several months.

I wish I could wait but I simply do not have the luxury of living the way I have been. I truly need a chair as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
            Wow, Nonoise! I had no idea Karman chairs were so bad. If possible, will you please let me know which brands are reputable? Thank you so much!

Comment

Are any of the chairs on TiLite's eBay an option?
              http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=tilite_chairs
              --------------------------------
              TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
              I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by k4olin View Post
                Are any of the chairs on TiLite's eBay an option?
                http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=tilite_chairs
                THANK YOU, K4!!!

Comment

I was just going to suggest TiLite's eBay store also. I saw there is a TiLite 16x17 2GX listed that looked nice. You might also want to check on Quickie chairs http://www.ebay.com/bhp/quickie-wheelchair.
                  Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
                    I was just going to suggest TiLite's eBay store also. I saw there is a TiLite 16x17 2GX listed that looked nice. You might also want to check on Quickie chairs http://www.ebay.com/bhp/quickie-wheelchair.
                    Thank you so much, Elarson! Thank you to all of you that have helped me in choosing and making such difficult decisions. I love this forum already!

Comment

You need to determine your measurements so you can purchase a chair off ebay or Craigslist. The fit is extremely important. Most important measurements are going to be sent width, depth, rear seat height and cog. The rsh and cog are going to be adjustable on most chairs but within a specific range. You want to look for chairs such as tilite zra, aero z, aero t, Tra; quickie q7, gt; Invacare crossfire or terminator; ki mobility rogue or tsunami.

A chair that fits you is going to be the most important thing here though. If you got the best possible chair out there and it didn't fit, your use would be extremely limited and it would cause damage to your body over time.
                      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                        . . . Most important measurements are going to be seat width, depth, rear seat height and cog. . . .
                        typo correction for clarity
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3
                        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                        <
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                          You need to determine your measurements so you can purchase a chair off ebay or Craigslist. The fit is extremely important. Most important measurements are going to be sent width, depth, rear seat height and cog. The rsh and cog are going to be adjustable on most chairs but within a specific range. You want to look for chairs such as tilite zra, aero z, aero t, Tra; quickie q7, gt; Invacare crossfire or terminator; ki mobility rogue or tsunami.

A chair that fits you is going to be the most important thing here though. If you got the best possible chair out there and it didn't fit, your use would be extremely limited and it would cause damage to your body over time.
                          The Icon allows for adjustments in nearly all areas but I think they are rare to find for sale used, still it could be a very good option because of all the changes that can be made.

MyRaven from what you have been saying it seems you need something as soon as possible. I have been there. My advice is to get a general idea of your measurements and find a Tilite chair on eBay that comes close. If you are able to find one at a good price you could be mobile pretty soon. Once you have your independence you can then learn more about your exact measurements and needs and start planning on the chair that would be perfect for you. I am not talking casually about spending a lot of money, like I said, I've been there. But if you need a chair, it is a huge part of your life so it becomes the priority. Once you have your first chair, one that is good enough to get you around a bit you start the work on the right one even if the cost seems insurmountable. Don't worry about the cost. I know that sounds crazy but figure out what would work best for you and then since you would already have a chair that is getting your around, you can take the time to figure some way of paying for your real chair.

This is wheelchair survival when you don't have money. My first chair was a demo I bought from a DME (equipment seller). It had sat in the shop in the window for so long one side of the upholstery was sun bleached. The chair was a custom and had more than 5 inches of seat dump that really cramped me up and was terribly uncomfortable but it was very light, maneuverable and came with very good parts. All of that cost me $500. It worked for a first chair, immediately helped me have some independence that I loved. It took years before I was able to save the money and get a real chair - one that was right for me. That was my Tilite TR2. Great great chair.

Anyhow, I don't know if my strategy seems like one that would help you but I wanted you to know that other people have had your same situation and that there might be a way to make it work :-)

Comment

I don't see an icon as an option used in this case due to cost. Custom chairs depreciate so much by the very nature that they're custom. The adjustability of the icon means it doesn't depreciate much, only according to wear/use and so cannot compare to the prices you can find the other chairs at. If she could afford a used icon, by all means go for it! I'm a huge proponent of the chair.
                            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I was also going to say ebay and this forum too. I got my ZRA through independent medical out of AZ, I had to do cash too since coverage would not. I'm northern cal and it was cheaper to do AZ than anyone local.
                              Yes craigslist has some too, also look into organizations in your area, there are probably many, I was able to get enough grants to pay for a lift for my vehicle. It is possible. Not sure if the Chronicle in SF does its seasons of sharing grant down south but it might be an option
                              Last edited by teacher2sped; 8 Oct 2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X