Smoothing out handrims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoothing out handrims

I developed an annoying burr on one of my handrims (I dropped the wheel onto cement). This is quite painful to wheel with if I do it wrong and don't have my gloves, or if I catch my exposed fingers.

I bought "Wet Or Dry" 600 Ultra Fine grit sandpaper today. I was looking for 000, but the customer who helped me said he did metalwork on vehicles and used that - and the store didn't have 000 as a choice.

Will this work to smooth it down? I believe the handrims are aluminum anodized. The only other thing I have in my toolkit (so far) is a round metal file, but that tends to work *inside* things better than outside them...

Thanks for keeping this country girl rollin'!
    Mystery

Edit: Cerebral Palsy with full hand function, poor balance necessitating a chair so I minimize the number of unplanned meetings with the ground.

fine sandpaper, steel wool, a finger nail board. Anything should work, just don't use too rough sandpaper. 220 up. 600 wet/dry will work fine.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you.

Will try and will post back the results.

Love CC!!

Mystery

Comment

I have used a fine file, Sandpaper, (440grit) and a key in a pinch when out and about.

Aluminum is very soft anything harder will work to get the high spot out.

Comment

I use a nail file - have to file out burrs after pretty much every plane trip.

Comment

X2 on the nail file, I use the tiny one on my fingernail clipper.
            Don - Grad Student Emeritus
            T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by Mystery View Post
              I developed an annoying burr on one of my handrims (I dropped the wheel onto cement). This is quite painful to wheel with if I do it wrong and don't have my gloves, or if I catch my exposed fingers.

I bought "Wet Or Dry" 600 Ultra Fine grit sandpaper today. I was looking for 000, but the customer who helped me said he did metalwork on vehicles and used that - and the store didn't have 000 as a choice.

Will this work to smooth it down? I believe the handrims are aluminum anodized. The only other thing I have in my toolkit (so far) is a round metal file, but that tends to work *inside* things better than outside them...

Thanks for keeping this country girl rollin'!
              Mystery

Edit: Cerebral Palsy with full hand function, poor balance necessitating a chair so I minimize the number of unplanned meetings with the ground.
              This happens to me often enough and I use a flat file to take the burrs away. I use a light touch, feel the spot, then repeat if necessary. I've never needed anything else like sandpaper. I have a file on the multi-tool I carry and the finer side of that works well. I've also used needle files I had in my drawer. All the rims I've had were aluminum and that's a comparatively soft metal, easy to file down. I wouldn't recommend steel wool as it would take forever and make a mess. A few seconds with a file and problem solved - for me. Carrying my multi-tool has been pretty handy. Good luck.

Btw I also agree with the above posters, a nail file works fine too.

Comment

I always carry a multitool that has a file on it. This happens quite often with me so a few strokes from the file and the problem goes away. If you don't have one handy, just smack it a few times, to flatten the burr, with a hard and heavy object. That will buy you some time for when you can get to a metal file.
                Last edited by lazierdog; 24 Sep 2015, 1:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lazierdog View Post
                  I always carry a multitool that has a file on it. This happens quite often with me so a few strokes from the file and the problem goes away. If you don't have one handy, just smack it a few times, to flatten the burr, with a hard and heavy object. That will buy you some time for when you can get to a metal file.
                  Good tip, I hadn't thought of that. A dig in the rim can give a painful ride home. Doesn't happen often but my file has worked every time, just a few light strokes but to get it soft and smooth again a light emery file works.

Comment

Working...
                  X