Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
    Insurance.

At this point it's the time that is annoying.
    and rolling on a bent caster bolt, is really annoying, surprisingly annoying. I love how nobody in the industry cares, I get more sympathy getting the car fixed.
    This sucks, it could be Halloween before this is fixed. What I find most frustrating is that Pasco is not that far from you, but when insurance and DME's get involved Pasco might as well be on the other side of the country and only open once a week in the afternoon.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
      What broke on yours Andy? It might influence NW Will.
      It was the frame cracking around a hole for the bolt that the backrest hinge latched onto was located. The hole for that was just drilled into bare tubing, and having to support the weight carried by the backrest lead to a stress riser...and the resulting crack. The next frame actually had a flange tube welded in the hole, they called that a 'reinforced' frame. Worked fine after that.

Sounds good.. but the tilite parts page does not list a number for that part.. the part is there in the pictures, but no number.
      I called tilite to get the part, and they said it had to be sent in !!!
      Well that sucks. Looks like some custom piece also in the drawing

At this point it's the time that is annoying.
      and rolling on a bent caster bolt, is really annoying, surprisingly annoying. I love how nobody in the industry cares, I get more sympathy getting the car fixed.
      I can imagine, the footrest slipped down on mine for a day till I could fix it, the pulling from the twisted front end was quite annoying. I don't want to think what a totally bent caster is like. One thing I learned early on is that industries such as this seem to have a patronizing attitude towards their customers, so much easier to just handle everything yourself. Heck, even the TiLite rep here called me 'cute' when I simply threw in a bit of trivia on the finer technical points of powdercoat stripping after an inquiry about their finishing process used. With your caster shaft unfortunately I guess you have to deal with them it would seem.

Comment

I doubt that fork stem is threaded in place, especially with that set screw design. I would think it is pressed in place, possibly with a fluted design shaft. I'd bet that TiLite's warning not to "attempt to unscrew" this fork stem is just to simplify their warning for people attempting to do what looks obvious. You'll probably need some type of puller (possibly hydraulic) to remove the stem. Proceed with caution.

FROM TILITE MANUAL:
        "WARNING
        The fork stem is permanently installed in the Bullet Caster Housing. Do not attempt to unscrew the fork stem or the set screw. If it should become necessary to replace the fork stem on these chairs, this repair can only be performed by TiLite at our factory. If you ignore this Warning, you may fall, tip over or lose control of the wheelchair and seriously injure yourself or others or damage the wheelchair."

It's a TR2 they couldn't get the dump my PT required with a TR3 !! That curved piece at the back on a TR3 didn't allow the axle to be in the right place.
        FYI: The TR3 is available in two frame styles depending on the COG you choose. From TiLite TR3 Order form:

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess it was fortunate I didn't attempt to take it on.

Another thumbs up for CareCure

I have close to the B. square rear frame. except the horizontal end piece is pushed to the very end, and my axle is pushed as far back as it can go, so it would be directly under back folding mechanism.

That's what they told me.. I got excited for a second thinking I'd get a TR3... apart from this bent stem the chair has been pretty ok, just caster replacements.

Originally posted by ala View Post
          I doubt that fork stem is threaded in place, especially with that set screw design. I would think it is pressed in place, possibly with a fluted design shaft. I'd bet that TiLite's warning not to "attempt to unscrew" this fork stem is just to simplify their warning for people attempting to do what looks obvious. You'll probably need some type of puller (possibly hydraulic) to remove the stem. Proceed with caution.

FROM TILITE MANUAL:
          "WARNING
          The fork stem is permanently installed in the Bullet Caster Housing. Do not attempt to unscrew the fork stem or the set screw. If it should become necessary to replace the fork stem on these chairs, this repair can only be performed by TiLite at our factory. If you ignore this Warning, you may fall, tip over or lose control of the wheelchair and seriously injure yourself or others or damage the wheelchair."

FYI: The TR3 is available in two frame styles depending on the COG you choose. From TiLite TR3 Order form:

Comment

Sounds good.. but the tilite parts page does not list a number for that part.. the part is there in the pictures, but no number.
            I called tilite to get the part, and they said it had to be sent in !!!

I have had mine apart quite a few times, I take mine to the ocean, which makes it creak, so I disassemble it and grease the parts.

It's a nut accessed by taking off the caster - the Quickie has an allen bolt (I have one here side by side) the Ti has a nut.

it has a dust cap, two bearings, a bushing, and the threaded "post" which is actually kept from spinning by the bolt on the Titanium leg, which goes through a shaft.
            The post interfaces with this shaft, but it just keeps it from spinning.

All the guts come out towards the bottom.

The bushings should be greased, the bearings just are slip fit (that's what was spinning & creaking) and you can pry off the dust seals with a blade & re-pack them.

You need to be able to get the snap ring off……..with snap-ring pliers

I think you bent the post.

Anything else?
            Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

the post that the nut that holds the caster fork on is bent.

unless you bend the post, I can't see any reason why you would take the post out!

Comment

the post that the nut that holds the caster fork on is bent.

unless you bend the post, I can't see any reason why you would take the post out!
                Exactly, unless you have a new post, which you can't buy because there is no part number. And if there was a part number TiLite would demand your serial number (been there, done that with other parts). Once they have your serial number and ship you the part, your warranty is shot.

Since this happened once to you, I'm inclined to agree with Chas and upgrade *both* sides to titanium.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

You know what I find a little confusing? Check out the TR owners manual (for TR series 1,2,and 3). If you look at Chapter 11 pages 11-5 and 11-6, you'll see info about Frog Legs front forks. Apparently, Frog Legs have a threaded fork stem with a set screw that can be removed from the Bullet Caster Housing by the user. This makes me wonder why they couldn't have used this design for all forks and stems. I guess you guys with Frog Legs already know this.
                  TiLite Manual
                  WARNING
                  The fork stems on Frog Legsmade for the TiLite TR and YR are a custom size. Therefore, if you need to replace your Frog Legforks or stems, you must order replacements from TiLite. If you ignore this Warning, the new Frog Legs? that you purchase will not fit into the "Bullet" Caster Housing on your TiLite TR or YR.
                  1. Remove the casters. See "Replacing Casters" on page 11-4.
                  2. Remove the set screw that secures the stem bolt inside the "Bullet" Caster Housing.
                  3. Loosen and remove the stem bolt using the Open End wrench on the flats indicated in Figure 11-10.
                  4. After properly treating the new Frog Legsfork stem with Vibra-TITEVC-3, install the new stem bolt into the Bullet Caster Housing and securely tighten.
                  5. After properly treating the set screw with Vibra-TITEVC-3, install the set screw fully into the Bullet Caster Housing and tighten to 32 inch-lbs.
                  6. Reinstall the casters. See "Replacing Casters" on page 11-4.
                  Last edited by ala; 5 Sep 2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
                    ...clip...the threaded "post" which is actually kept from spinning by the bolt on the Titanium leg, which goes through a shaft.
                    The post interfaces with this shaft, but it just keeps it from spinning...clip...
                    Ala, Steve's post was for the same type caster fork as Will's, not frog legs. So it seems TiLite could just send him a shaft.

Comment

Why make changing a front fork stem so difficult and Dang Tilite, get rid of those faunky screws that thread into thru the front wheel. First thing I do is change those out to a proper nut an bolt. On my new Tr, they must have used the red locktite as they won't come undone no matter what. I'll have to take the forks off and drill 'em out.

Tilite has gone the way the other great chair manufacturers went. They got too big and left the customers and customer service behind.

Comment

Speaking of fork issues, I figure at least TiLite uses semi-ok hardware on forks, such as the caster axles. Never had any serious corrosion issues on any of my TiLite chairs, just the bearings going out from normal snow abuse. Now there is this one Colours chair I know of, that is like 1 year old, that I did a caster swap for someone on...out came the big hammer and the fork itself got semi-mangled and re-straightened after extraction of a rusty axle shaft. Cheapest possible metallurgy there. But it has cool tribal stickers and branding all over it, lol.

Comment

I agree Patrick. On components that need to be maintained, like the front fork / casters, it should not be so difficult. I also think they use Locktite red on the screws. I was able to finally get them off without drilling, but needed to use high heat, which isn't so good for the bearings.
                          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Thanks for finding that picture. It doesn't look like the stem bolt is threaded at the top.

I'm wondering, once you release the set screw, how hard it is to pull the stem bolt out ? and then of course how hard to get it back in... it's looking like you tap it in and tighten the set screw. After that it's always going to have weight on it !
                            After seeing this I'm tempted to call up sportsaid and see what they say.

Originally posted by ala View Post
                            You know what I find a little confusing? Check out the TR owners manual (for TR series 1,2,and 3). If you look at Chapter 11 pages 11-5 and 11-6, you'll see info about Frog Legs front forks. Apparently, Frog Legs have a threaded fork stem with a set screw that can be removed from the Bullet Caster Housing by the user. This makes me wonder why they couldn't have used this design for all forks and stems. I guess you guys with Frog Legs already know this.

Comment

Thanks for finding that picture. It doesn't look like the stem bolt is threaded at the top.

I'm wondering, once you release the set screw, how hard it is to pull the stem bolt out ? and then of course how hard to get it back in... it's looking like you tap it in and tighten the set screw. After that it's always going to have weight on it !
                              After seeing this I'm tempted to call up sportsaid and see what they say.

A few posts earlier steve garro, the guy that's taken this assembly apart, said it was threaded.
                              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                                A few posts earlier steve garro, the guy that's taken this assembly apart, said it was threaded.
                                From Steve's post it sounds like he is taking the caster forks off the stem bolt and greasing the assembly. There would be no reason to take the stem bolt off to grease it.
                                I'm not certain, but from reading his post the threaded part he is referring to is the bottom part of the stem bolt which holds the forks in place with a nut.

I'm interested in the top part of the stem bolt where it attaches to the frame.

Well called the DME yesterday Numotion. And they have yet to call Tilite to get a quote to even pass to the insurance company to get the ok to get this fixed. let alone worry about how long tilite will take to fix it, they probably have a pretty good turn around!

I know it's nothing new, but I am still continually blown away about how crap these companies are.

Comment

Working...
                                X