Insurance pay for power lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance pay for power lift?

Has anyone been able to get insurance to pay for a power lift? I just got back from the place I get my medical supplies, and they said it's really difficult to get the insurance to pay for it. And I don't want a hydraulic one.

If you have Medicare, the electrical component of the of the lift is considered a "convenience item". Your medical supplier may to able to apply the cost of the manual lift towards the price of the electrical model and have you pay the difference out of pocket if that's feasible. Many private healthcare's follow the Medicare guidelines.

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 08-28-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelman21 View Post
      Has anyone been able to get insurance to pay for a power lift? I just got back from the place I get my medical supplies, and they said it's really difficult to get the insurance to pay for it. And I don't want a hydraulic one.
      yes, mine just paid for a molift... ins will say no if you call. but with a good lmn you have a chance. I had to appeal a denial but then approved, and the big hard case for travel.
      Last edited by fuentejps; 08-28-2015, 08:16 PM.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

It depends upon the insurance. The VA covers them for eligible Veterans. Medicare does not. Medicaid varies by state. Private insurance often follows Medicare guidelines, but you can always contact the insurer to find out ahead of time.

If you do end up needing to purchase privately, check out eBay. I see lightly used ones there all the time.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Seems like the easiest way to get this would be through the waiver system. Contact your county case worker and they'll get you going.

Comment

We have one but Ry has private insurance as primary and Medicare as secondary and Medicaid third. We used the hydraulic one for years and it was killing me. I have no idea how the cost sharing worked but we paid nothing for it, between the coverage Ry has. He is now able to transfer with no lift but we have not taken in down because when he got his pump installed, we needed it. it goes over his bed, it not attached to the ceiling, portable, and takes up little floor space.--eak
            Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
            mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
            Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

Working...
            X