Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockwell JawStand for workshop - usable with a wheelchair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Depot work table

I am looking at this work bench from Home Depot. It looks good for using with a wheelchair. I've been told it's about 20lbs, haven't heard back from Home Depot officially. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-8...atalogId=10053

Still trying to figure how to mount a chair a chest level so I can work on it. I am looking at the clamps used to hold bicycles. I thought maybe I could get a wall or bench mounted one and attach it to a piece of wood that I could then hold with the JawHorse.

The computer monitor arms look great and some of them hold pretty heavy weights. Still thinking about them.

Seems I sure spend a lot of time just trying to make things accessible. I wonder if I will ever have the chance to wash dishes in an accessible sink, just for the experience. 'Been to Ikea and I didn't see any accessible kitchen installations, just very nice regular ones.

Comment

Yeah, it's crazy how much time goes into making work area's accessible just so you can make everything else accessible!

Originally posted by grommet View Post
      Seems I sure spend a lot of time just trying to make things accessible.
      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
        Yeah, it's crazy how much time goes into making work area's accessible just so you can make everything else accessible!
        Okay, you made me actually laugh out loud :-)

Every day I am reaching, leaning, dropping, grunting, stretching and hoping just to get the thing I need or put it back. Every little thing that helps makes it so much easier.

Comment

I totally hear you Grommet. I watch my husband struggle with so many things, and so many of them seem to be such unnecessary struggles, like opening asprin or a bread bag. I would love ADA and the equivalent in other countries taken to the level that manufacturers need to have shown at some level attempts to make products accessible where possible. Maybe there could be a badge, like they do for low energy consumption, that would motivate companies.
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

. . . Maybe there could be a badge, like they do for low energy consumption, that would motivate companies.

great idea !
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I totally hear you Grommet. I watch my husband struggle with so many things, and so many of them seem to be such unnecessary struggles, like opening asprin or a bread bag. I would love ADA and the equivalent in other countries taken to the level that manufacturers need to have shown at some level attempts to make products accessible where possible. Maybe there could be a badge, like they do for low energy consumption, that would motivate companies.
              Oh my god that's a great idea! I never thought of that. That would be amazing. I'll live in that dream for a moment.

Comment

photo of workbench

This is the JawStand with the piece of shelf mounted. On the underside of the shelf I attached a 2 inch piece so the vise could grip and to add strength.
                Attached Files

Comment

Just tried the work table I made. I used it with my powerchair and the height was no problem. Because the powerchair has armrests I was able to lay the shelf on them a little so no tippiness. Will try it with my manual chair and see how that goes. The board I mounted isn't a perfect solution because the edges are sharp and dig in to me. The same for the wood I put underneath it. A router would help with the support but the shelf is MDF and finished and I don't want to get in to that. One step at a time finding solutions. Oh by the way the JawStand is light enough even with the shelf that I could drag it closer to the chair positioning it so that I could get it as close as possible. When I was finished I rotated the board out of the way and moved back. I also used the height adjustment crank. That was really helpful when lowering the shelf so it sat on my armrests.

Comment

Great work! Yes, MDF boards have sharp edges; in the big box hardware stores I've seen edge joined board shelves that would have softer edges.
                    Chas
                    TiLite TR3
                    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                    <
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Wow, JawHorse really helped me out yesterday when I needed to install new Frog Legs casters. For some reason the left caster on my chair was frozen on to the axle. I took one screw out but the other wouldn't budge and the wheel wouldn't slide off the axle. I pushed and pulled hard and couldn't get it to budge. Drat. Talked to Frog Legs and they told me that their tech would sometimes put a wheel in a vise and use a hammer. I thought about that.

I took the fork off the chair and using the JawHorse which has rubber pads in the vise, held it strongly in place. Then I took a mallet and pounded around the edges of the caster until finally with some good blows it started to move. What a thrill not to be stuck. Without the JawHorse I can't see how I would have had a solution. It's a versatile tool and the large clamping lever really helps.

Still trying to figure how to use it to hold my chair while I work on it. I have been looking at bicycle work stands and most especially at the heads they have as some companies sell just the heads. I thought maybe I could attach a head to some wood and mount that in the vise. Suggestions appreciated.
                      Last edited by grommet; 29 Sep 2015, 2:28 PM.

Comment

Park is the defacto standard as far as I know, but I think fairly pricey. They have some that are bench and wall mounted http://www.parktool.com/category/repair-stands

Comment

elarson Thank you for the link, I have been looking that the Park. They are very nice but too expensive, starting around $200 U.S. I have seen some on eBay for $35. They might not work at all but I guess I would either try one of the cheaper ones or try to figure something out with wood. The problem is, I don't have access to lumber. If I could get some 2x4 (a standard board in the U.S.) I think I could shape something. It's not an urgent thing but it sure would be nice eventually to be able to have my chair at waist level to work on. Of course being able to hold it at that level and rotate it in any direction would be really nice but I would have to pay for that. The Park clamps/stands sure do look nice.

Comment

I saw some of these on Amazon much cheaper. http://www.conquerequipment.com/bike-repair-stands.html

Comment

I saw some of these on Amazon much cheaper. http://www.conquerequipment.com/bike-repair-stands.html
                              Those are the less expensive ones I have been looking at. Some of the reviews talk about them moving around a bit. If I get one, I think I would get one of these. I know buying the best, like the Park stands, is always the best way to go but money is always a factor for me and sometimes the less expensive stuff works too. One thing at a time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                                Those are the less expensive ones I have been looking at. Some of the reviews talk about them moving around a bit. If I get one, I think I would get one of these. I know buying the best, like the Park stands, is always the best way to go but money is always a factor for me and sometimes the less expensive stuff works too. One thing at a time :-)
                                Has anyone done this? A bike is balanced on those clamps, while a chair would have to be held canti lever style and I wonder if the clamp would be strong enough.
                                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Working...
                                X