Axle won't come out of wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle won't come out of wheels

I have Golz Twin-Star Exchange wheels on my Ti-Lite chair that are about 9 months old. One side is not locking into place. I called Ti-Lite and they said remove the axle from the wheel and there is an adjustment to make so the quick release bearings catch.

The issue is I cannot get the axle out of the wheel (either axle in either wheel). The axle spins freely but does not move at all so I can take it off. I wondered if it was rust from Chicago winter and sprayed it extensively with a lubricating/penetrating spray. After 24 hours is still does not move. To be clear when I say move the axle does not move back and forth inside the wheel. Not at all. Ti-Lite assured me it should.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve

I finally got the axle out. I tapped it with a rubber hammer and one side came out. My guess is it was rust and the penetrating spray just needed some time and a few taps from the rubber hammer. Thanks, Steve

Comment

I like it when my axles get sticky in the wheel bearings-it make them easier to install.
      It's a combination of the grease on the axle inside the wheel bearings drying up and a little rust.
      With the wheel off the chair, it should only require one smart whack with a small hammer to get it moving again.
      To completely remove it from the wheel, you will have to fully depress the release button so the latching-ball on the inner end of the axle is free to move inward allowing the axle to go through the wheel bearings.
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Great! I hit post, and there was your post.
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

I try to take my quick release wheels off once in a while and lubricate. Years ago had them totally stuck about 6 months after I switched from 2 door car to van with lift, when I no longer HAD to remove wheels from chair. That rubber mallet trick did the job.

Comment

Working...
          X