Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleep Number Beds, revisited. (she hides behind a tree for beating a dead horse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep Number Beds, revisited. (she hides behind a tree for beating a dead horse)

I've searched and read older threads, but most are from days when they were way less expensive. Anyone buy one now that they are a gazillion dollars? Do the prescription tricks still work... are they really worth it at the price-also... how has yours held up over time??
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I have used a Sleep Number Bed for about 9 years now . Very durable , only problems with the hand controller , needs programed once in a while . Bed is Great . Make it hard to transfer , soften it up to sleep on . Do not need to be turned at all . I recommend it highly . Did not use Insurance to pay for any of it though . Best of luck !

Comment

Had mine for 4 years, holds up goo
      C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

2 years will never sleep on anything else. I highly recommend to everyone especially gimps. get adj base too. got rx and wrote off on taxes
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Mine is approx. 1 yr. old... like John says...they are great. I really do sleep so much better, (and no I don't work for Sleep#). Make sure you try all the different models; there was a big difference between them for me considering I 'get dressed' in bed. In fact the least expensive model worked the best for me (still $$$, though).

Comment

I highly recommend them. The only negative comment was that the salesperson was pretty useless. I thought the feature to raise my feet would be a 'nice-to-have', but so far I use it almost every night. One piece of advice - if the bed is just a bit high for transferring, request the legs that accommodate caster wheels (but don't order the wheels). That will knock about 2 inches off the height of the bed. They were 'kind enough' not to charge me for this option, although it did take a few phone calls for them to see the light. Good luck!

Comment

Lots of good information, thanks so much everyone!
              An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

I guess I'll put up an opposing view. I've had one for about 15 years. They are really really comfortable, but I believe that a lot of the back issues I'm experiencing today is a result of the sleep number bed. When laying on my side and deflating the the air to my "sleep number" of 55, the middle of the bed (where the heaviest part of you is) turns into a little crater so you're kind of laying in a curve (head and feet are higher than your abdomen). It doesn't work like the TV ads would make you think - that the bed comes up and fills in all your curves. It's actally the exact opposite. Over the years I've developed a curvature in my spine and a lot of back pain. I know many here recommend them, but I would have too after only a few years. I even liked them so much I bought one for my son when he was little and another when he grew up. I would not do it again and I'm actively looking at replacing it with a regular model (possibly a Serta iSeries) and an adjustable base. I'm getting my son to upgrade too.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                  I guess I'll put up an opposing view. I've had one for about 15 years. They are really really comfortable, but I believe that a lot of the back issues I'm experiencing today is a result of the sleep number bed. When laying on my side and deflating the the air to my "sleep number" of 55, the middle of the bed (where the heaviest part of you is) turns into a little crater so you're kind of laying in a curve (head and feet are higher than your abdomen). It doesn't work like the TV ads would make you think - that the bed comes up and fills in all your curves. It's actally the exact opposite. Over the years I've developed a curvature in my spine and a lot of back pain. I know many here recommend them, but I would have too after only a few years. I even liked them so much I bought one for my son when he was little and another when he grew up. I would not do it again and I'm actively looking at replacing it with a regular model (possibly a Serta iSeries) and an adjustable base. I'm getting my son to upgrade too.
                  heh if this was true there would be lawsuits already
                  C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
                    heh if this was true there would be lawsuits already
                    Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just going on what my doctors and physical therapists have said. And I *am* missing the fact that nothing is true unless there are associated lawsuits.

Comment

Had mine about a year.. And love it!

Comment

We have had ours since 2008 and we love it! Both my husband and I are in chairs, and it works out awesome that he can make it as soft as he wants and I can make it more firm and we can both sleep in the same bed together! Will never sleep on anything different. Worth the money in my opinion.
                        "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

When we bought our sleep number beds, the store had a pressure map to help select the best sleep number for each of us.

Perhaps your sleep number wasn't the right one for you.

All the best,
                          GJ

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                            When we bought our sleep number beds, the store had a pressure map to help select the best sleep number for each of us.

Perhaps your sleep number wasn't the right one for you.

All the best,
                            GJ
                            Thanks GJ. I really have tried them all. If you think about what you're lying on, it's just a rubber bladder, like a balloon, without any restricted chambers. When you lay on it, the heaviest part of you will sink into the bladder more. Think of a ROHO without the quadrants locked. You push on the center and the air goes to the sides. You push on the sides the air moves to the center. The same thing happens with the Sleep Number bladder. Anyone that has a Sleep Number bed can see what I'm talking about by pumping up the bed to 100. Lay down on your back. Set the sleep number to maybe 50-60. After it completes, you should notice that your butt is lower than your head and feet since the heaviest part of you sunk into the bladder more than the lighter parts. So you're now laying in a small crater. If you turn to your side the crater will still exist so now your back is in this curved state. Have a buddy look at your spine after you've turned. It will probably be curved to match the bed. I almost always lay on my left side to sleep after laying on my back for about an hour or so. After a few years that curve catches up with you. My wife is also experiencing some hip pain when she wakes up. Of course she doesn't have the same issues I have since she can move around while she sleeps, but with those of us that sleep in a single position all night might experience the same thing I've have.

Hey, I know I'm not convincing anyone hear and there's no way to prove something like this for a "lawsuit" as Mac85 suggests, but that's been my experience with a Sleep Number bed and I thought I should share. If the bed works for everyone else great, but I haven't had that kind of luck. YMMV.

Comment

Thanks GJ. I really have tried them all. If you think about what you're lying on, it's just a rubber bladder, like a balloon, without any restricted chambers. When you lay on it, the heaviest part of you will sink into the bladder more. Think of a ROHO without the quadrants locked. You push on the center and the air goes to the sides. You push on the sides the air moves to the center. The same thing happens with the Sleep Number bladder. Anyone that has a Sleep Number bed can see what I'm talking about by pumping up the bed to 100. Lay down on your back. Set the sleep number to maybe 50-60. After it completes, you should notice that your butt is lower than your head and feet since the heaviest part of you sunk into the bladder more than the lighter parts. So you're now laying in a small crater. If you turn to your side the crater will still exist so now your back is in this curved state. Have a buddy look at your spine after you've turned. It will probably be curved to match the bed. I almost always lay on my left side to sleep after laying on my back for about an hour or so. After a few years that curve catches up with you. My wife is also experiencing some hip pain when she wakes up. Of course she doesn't have the same issues I have since she can move around while she sleeps, but with those of us that sleep in a single position all night might experience the same thing I've have.

Hey, I know I'm not convincing anyone hear and there's no way to prove something like this for a "lawsuit" as Mac85 suggests, but that's been my experience with a Sleep Number bed and I thought I should share. If the bed works for everyone else great, but I haven't had that kind of luck. YMMV.
                              The only reason I commented was because my wife (NL) and I were talking about the support of our sleep number beds with regard to your question. NL is an AB and has total sense. She says when she adjusts the sleep number, she can feel the bed contouring to the natural curve in her back. Whether that is real or just sensation...

All the best,
                              GJ

Comment

Working...
                              X