Do any of you quads drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
    2014 1500 rear wheel drive. could be im just not used to the big vehicle yet. im strong never used any type of brake/steering assist. all this van stuff is new to me. but seems like it should brake better

Sounds like the older ones i drove.

They always felt like they should brake better.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Comment

to you guys driving full sized vans. the brakes in my chevy just don't seem great. is this normal? I have never driven a big vehicle just cars.
      Yes, the braking isn't great. Full size vans are heavy, especially equipped with lift. Just need to get use to braking earlier than in a car.

Comment

2014 1500 rear wheel drive. could be im just not used to the big vehicle yet. im strong never used any type of brake/steering assist. all this van stuff is new to me. but seems like it should brake better
        I went through through the same problem with a 1500 Explorer I had. The problem is Explorer replaces the stock Chevy 16" wheels with an 18' or 20" wheel/tire combo without going to a larger rotor. This is a big weight difference. Add the weight of the Explorer conversion and mobility equipment you are overworking the stock rotors and brakes. I replaced the stock rotors with a slotted and drilled rotor with ceramic pad and this improved the stopping quite a bit. With the 2500 Express this problem goes away due to the heavy duty over sized rotors and brakes. Don't compare the braking on the van with a car, you need more stopping distance due to weight.
        Last edited by GinoL; 1 Aug 2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

yah, mine is explorer with 20's. hmmm maybe I should consider this

Originally posted by GinoL View Post
          I went through through the same problem with a 1500 Explorer I had. The problem is Explorer replaces the stock Chevy 16" wheels with an 18' or 20" wheel/tire combo without going to a larger rotor. This is a big weight difference. Add the weight of the Explorer conversion and mobility equipment you are overworking the stock rotors and brakes. I replaced the stock rotors with a slotted and drilled rotor with ceramic pad and this improved the stopping quite a bit. With the 2500 Express this problem goes away due to the heavy duty over sized rotors and brakes. Don't compare the braking on the van with a car, you need more stopping distance due to weight.
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

The good thing about braking distance in a van versus car is you can see so much further ahead and anticipate the need to brake sooner. How do you like the visibility difference Fuentes? I swear I don;t think I could drive a car now sitting so low.
            "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

yah, mine is explorer with 20's. hmmm maybe I should consider this
              It's disgusting they did not upgrade the rotors and calipers with the wheels. I hope they didn't cheat you by slapping drum brakes on the back. It should be disks there too.
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

all 4 disc. maybe they did, not sure
                Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                It's disgusting they did not upgrade the rotors and calipers with the wheels. I hope they didn't cheat you by slapping drum brakes on the back. It should be disks there too.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

we both love the vis. this transition has been a challenge. first bad lift, then this braking crap. the braking is auckward. im using suregrip right angle. i've always used mpds in the past. there isn't much room between the steering wheel and door panel where buttons are.
                  Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
                  The good thing about braking distance in a van versus car is you can see so much further ahead and anticipate the need to brake sooner. How do you like the visibility difference Fuentes? I swear I don;t think I could drive a car now sitting so low.
                  Last edited by fuentejps; 2 Aug 2015, 9:18 AM.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

Are you sure it's a 1500? You have a lot of add ons for a half ton. Since as far as I can tell, it is a dealer conversion and not factory, you might consider talking to them to resolve this if it is a 1500. I looked at an Explorer site and all they were offering on the web were 2500's.
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Did a bit of looking, GM is trying to stop nearly 6000lb with a 12" disk...holy 1970's Batman! The 2500 gets a 13" disk. Maybe looking into something like a 14" disk conversion for it, hopefully the calipers are attached to the spindle by a separate hanger and whatever conversion would be an easy driveway bolt-on. That should ease the pressure required to get the needed stopping power

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        Did a bit of looking, GM is trying to stop nearly 6000lb with a 12" disk...holy 1970's Batman! The 2500 gets a 13" disk. Maybe looking into something like a 14" disk conversion for it, hopefully the calipers are attached to the spindle by a separate hanger and whatever conversion would be an easy driveway bolt-on. That should ease the pressure required to get the needed stopping power
                        That's the thing, I think the dealer screwed him. I may have looked in all the wrong places, but where I looked it said GM stopped doing conversions in something like 2002.

Comment

yah, 2014 was last year for 1500, 15 and up is 2500 only. i'll get pics of the discs. frt are bigger than rear.

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                          Are you sure it's a 1500? You have a lot of add ons for a half ton. Since as far as I can tell, it is a dealer conversion and not factory, you might consider talking to them to resolve this if it is a 1500. I looked at an Explorer site and all they were offering on the web were 2500's.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                            We have 2500 HD diesel pick up at work that routinely pulls a gooseneck trailer with skidsteers or mini excavators fork lifts etc. After several close calls we put a set of API six piston brakes on the front. I think they are 15 inch. The first time I drove it after the conversion I touched the brakes lightly and almost bashed my face off the windshield. There are a bunch of aftermarket brake companies out there ranging from very expensive to extremely expensive. I recommend highly getting brakes with extra pistons(bigger pads and more uniform pressure across the pad). By the way, before the conversion we were changing pads and rotors in less than 10,000 miles, post conversion we are getting about 50,000 miles on pads and have 150,000 miles on the rotors.

Comment

heres brakes

Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com

Comment

Yeah, that does looks like some small brakes. An example of how a 13.5" brake looks in a 20" wheel is below...noticeably bigger. It stops very well (and having almost 2000lb less to stop helps too, but you get the idea). I did a bit more looking, it would seem you might have to change the calipers for any upgrade, the 2500 uses .35" thicker rotors (in addition to larger diameter), so I would think those would have to get swapped unless some larger diameter 'thin' rotors are floating around somewhere. If you are going that far, might as well go real big, especially since you have the room for it with 20" wheels. Now to find something...

Click image for larger version

Name:	135brake20wheel.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	2658888

Comment

Working...
                                X