My Smartdrive MX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
    I had one do that. The next one worked fine.
    Hm, you've got me thinking then. I think my drive is fine but how do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
      Hm, you've got me thinking then. I think my drive is fine but how do I know?
      Do you know anyone else with one? I've never seen another. You could try mine if we were closer.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Do you know anyone else with one? I've never seen another. You could try mine if we were closer.
        Thank you. I think it's either the drive or the mounting or, just me not being able to figure out the SD pushing pattern. I will eventually mount the bracket they sent me for 24 inch wheels. Maybe that will change the angle and make all the difference. Sometimes just making all the equipment that I use work is it's own job but I have to remember how lucky I am to even have access to the great modern stuff we have.

Comment

I doubt it's anything to do with technique- certainly I don't do anything special. I also doubt it's the bracket mounting, certainly when I've played with mine there were only three outcomes, either it worked, or it fell off, or didn't work at all really (because it wasn't touching the ground properly. There's nothing to lose playing with the mount but I suspect the unit is sick

Comment

The fellow at Max Mobility thought changing the angle of the unit might help. I had 24's now I am running 25s. They gave me the 25" mount but now he wants me to try a 24". I hope the SD isn't sick but if it is, I'll live with the frustration. The motor is super strong and the switches are perfect. It's really good equipment. I think any SmartDrive troubles are usually a software/user problem. Not my biggest problem right now, geez I am thinking in lists now ;-) First I need hand rims that I can grip and I might have that worked out soon. :-)

Comment

changing the angle of the unit might help.
              Is what you are using now the same MX1 that you have in the video? It looks like you are using it quite easily?

If it's on a different chair, perhaps it is mounted too low, and the unit is a reaching its automatic shutdown angle. That was one of the problems I had when first using mine. That would explain why you can't get going at the bottom of a kerb cut etc. As I said earlier, from stopping at the bottom of a steep kerb cut giving just a soft push engages my motor, and unless I'm careless with my hand movements it continues up with no cut-offs.

I can see from your video that you have greater strength than me. Also your SD is positioned better against your centre of gravity than I can have it on my one arm drive chair. To me, that points potentially to something being faulty in the SD.

Comment

The video is years old and that was my first SmartDrive unit. The one I run now is the latest but not the all-in-one. I am also running an Icon instead of the Tililte TR2 in the video. I don't have any paralysis or weakness, but I do have joint problems which make pushing hard. This morning I went out for the first time with the 24" bracket Max Mobility sent me. Eek! I don't know about the height difference, I don't think I will because there was so much sideplay the drive made an awful racket. I changed the bracket back to the 25" right away. I don't know why the drive fit so loosely on that new bracket. I wonder if the SmartDrives keep changing every few months in subtle ways including the mounting area. All just guesses. The drive works, maybe I just won't be able to figure out how to make it work as well as it could. I am still baffled by the speed changes. Coming in to my place today I gave a good strong push to go across the carpet. It engaged at the slowest speed. I pushed again. Same snail speed. Once close to the kitchen I gave a push and now the drive sped up. Argh. I am lucky I have it and that it does take me where I need to go. Maybe we won't ever be perfect partners.

Comment

I've had rattling like that when moving the bracket. Cured by rotating the bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                    I've had rattling like that when moving the bracket. Cured by rotating the bracket
                    I'm riding an Icon and the bracket is mounted rigidly. It can't rotate. Max Mobility offers different mounts depending on wheel size. That still doesn't account for all the sideplay on that new bracket I tried this morning. My old bracket has months on it and nothing like the play the new one had. Must be different tolerances.

Comment

I wonder what is the expected amount of time that the Bluetooth module will hold charge when idle. I've been left with a dead battery after only a couple of days when it's not been used at all (and has been switched off).

My phone earpiece is reliable after two weeks with infrequent use. My car audio dongle likewise will last over a week even when it's used moderately for music and phone calls.

OK it's my fault for letting it run dry, but I'd expect it to hold charge for some days unused.

Comment

Originally posted by mishahu View Post
                        I wonder what is the expected amount of time that the Bluetooth module will hold charge when idle. I've been left with a dead battery after only a couple of days when it's not been used at all (and has been switched off).

My phone earpiece is reliable after two weeks with infrequent use. My car audio dongle likewise will last over a week even when it's used moderately for music and phone calls.

OK it's my fault for letting it run dry, but I'd expect it to hold charge for some days unused.
                        Bummer, test it by fully charging it, don't use it but turn it off and let it sit a few days and see if it's still charged. I don't know what type battery it's using, but yours might need replacing.
                        Lithiums with at least 60% charge are supposed to last for months in storage. I have a big one that hasn't been used for about a year and it is holding up fine. But if the charge is allowed to drop too low, the lithium batteries will self destruct in storage. I have one that starts beeping when the charge gets low, telling me to charge it back up.
                        Last edited by nonoise; 30 Sep 2015, 3:46 AM.
                        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

turn it off and let it sit a few days and see if it's still charged.
                          And go back to life pre-SD? OMG!!

Comment

I just got my MX2 today and I was having some trouble with it. Hoping y'all can help.
                            When I was trying to use it when my dealer first brought it, the wristband kept blinking red, which according to the manual meant it wasn't connecting to the drive. Charged it a little, it would only occasionally go, and then only twice could I get it to stop with the tapping motion.
                            I agreed to let it charge for a bit and he left. An hour and a half later, I put the wrist band on and tried it inside the house (which...was pretty stupid) and I kind of ran into a wall because I couldn't stop no matter how I tapped. Eventually after pressing and holding the button it did stop. Now there seems to be a little side-to-side motion with the drive where there wasn't before. Does that happen to anyone else? Do I need to get a new clamp? I don't think it's bent but I can take pictures. As I'm not at all delicate with things I'm starting to wonder if the SD was a good idea.

Edit: I charged both the drive and the bracelet completely. I can get it to start but it won't stop. I put it in training mode like the tech support dude suggested so I'd be able to stop by holding the handrims but that didn't work and I flipped over.
                            Last edited by betazoidgal; 5 Oct 2015, 3:28 PM.

Comment

I am sorry about the trouble you are having. Hitting things and coming out of the chair is serious. I don't have the new model but with my SmartDrive I did all the things you talked about. It was pretty rough learning how to use it. I drove right up on a person in that first week, hit walls, crashed in to my front door and because the motor wouldn't stop it rotated underneath me completely actually lifting me up and letting me down as it did it and ended up backwards in front of me. I've been through a few iterations of the SD and I've gotten much better with it. I've had it for a few years now and I would say to you, you just got it and you're learning how to use it, don't give up just yet. My SD has changed my life. Many times if it weren't for my SD I would have stayed at home or had to use a powerchair.

I would talk to Max Mobility, they have some good people there who I hope will help you. Stay with the SmartDrive for a while. Talk to MM and get everything in working order then, practice very slowly. Eventually it might seem like second nature and you can enjoy the help it gives. Maybe you will decide it isn't for you but give it a good long try before you really make up your mind.

Comment

I am sorry about the trouble you are having. Hitting things and coming out of the chair is serious. I don't have the new model but with my SmartDrive I did all the things you talked about. It was pretty rough learning how to use it. I drove right up on a person in that first week, hit walls, crashed in to my front door and because the motor wouldn't stop it rotated underneath me completely actually lifting me up and letting me down as it did it and ended up backwards in front of me. I've been through a few iterations of the SD and I've gotten much better with it. I've had it for a few years now and I would say to you, you just got it and you're learning how to use it, don't give up just yet. My SD has changed my life. Many times if it weren't for my SD I would have stayed at home or had to use a powerchair.

I would talk to Max Mobility, they have some good people there who I hope will help you. Stay with the SmartDrive for a while. Talk to MM and get everything in working order then, practice very slowly. Eventually it might seem like second nature and you can enjoy the help it gives. Maybe you will decide it isn't for you but give it a good long try before you really make up your mind.

Those were basically the choices my PT gave me (stay at home or get a powerchair) as I needed a push from someone else if I was going up an incline or longer distances. I actually own the SD so I'm stuck with it, haha. I don't think it's user-error as I had no trouble with the MX2 when I demo'd it in May. I 'm really hoping that the folks at MM will have a solution for me when I get a hold of them tomorrow and ask what's with the braking issue. It does make me feel better that I'm not the only person who's been crashing into things and/or people.

Comment

Working...
                                X