TiLite TR3 Fabrication Progress Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dickie_Lad View Post
    I agree it's the dealer rather Tilite. I would have liked a drawing and should have pushed for one. But I'm British (for my sins) and we don't like making a fuss! It's wasn't a deal breaker because I'm reasonably confident of my measurements and I got a good idea of what it'll look like from looking at similar chair CADs on CCC. The order form I signed off on just listed the vital measurements. I don't know whether the dealer had to sign off on a CAD? I was a bit ignorant of the process as this is first bespoke chair I've purchased.
    DMEs have been known to order differently than instructed by their client. Seeing/approving the manufacturer's CAD gives the end user a chance to review/fix what the DMEs actually ordered before the chair is fabricated. For chair frames built/assembled from prefabricated, off-the-shelf parts, CAD is super overkill. But TiLite makes the entire chair frame from scratch based specifically off the CAD. Not signing off on a TiLite CAD leaves you at the mercy of the DMEs' decisions, and with no recourse with TiLite to fix mistakes made by the DMEs

Sorry to say, but there it is. Hope all goes well.

My TR is far too bespoke to not see a CAD; yours is simpler, and should be fine.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 11 Nov 2015, 2:17 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
      Exactly! Thanks.
      Why can't Tilite do the same for you?
      Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
        Why can't Tilite do the same for you?
        When I said "exactly," I meant the concept is right. The details of connecting to my double axle make it a bit trickier. Plus whatever they provide for me may set a precedent, so I imagine they're being extra careful.
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

When I said "exactly," I meant the concept is right. The details of connecting to my double axle make it a bit trickier. Plus whatever they provide for me may set a precedent, so I imagine they're being extra careful.
          Add a ZRA axle bracket.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
            Add a ZRA axle bracket.
            Yep! That's exactly what I suggested to them in my response. An excerpt of my response:

" . . . What do TiLite engineers think about mounting four modified ZR1 receivers (CP103180(1); two on each cambertube) so the anti-tipper slides fore and aft through them?

"The fore/aft position can be held with shaft collars aft the rear cambertube receivers and bicycle quick release clamps forward of the front cambertube receivers. With this configuration, the anti-tipper position would be quick release and adjustable like the published design. (The rear cambertube receivers might need to be mounted in reverse (i.e., long end pointing forward) to achieve the originally ordered 14" aft the front cambertube throughout its CoG adjustment range.) . . ."
            Last edited by chasmengr; 12 Nov 2015, 1:02 PM.
            Chas
            TiLite TR3

<
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Sorry to say, but there it is. Hope all goes well.
              Thankyou. And I understand what you say, and you are right, I should have pushed for a CAD.

Getting back on topic?

I re-read from the beginning of your OP. It was such a shame Tilite cutting off the longer bottom tubes for your bespoke anti-tip arrangement. The photo of the two side frames clearly show the longer bottom tubes. On the bright side I REALLY REALLY LIKE the side guards, they?re very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by webfoot View Post
                Major bummer that means I'm still going anti-tipless when I separate from my ZX-1 with a low rear STF height. I'd hoped a new TR3 with slide-within-the-frame anti-tipper design would allow me to use my ZX1 more. Tilite just lost a TR3 sale.
                News that Tilite will no longer provide that design is 3rd party hearsay and hot off the presses. TiLite may yet offer an alternate design that's as robust. I'm eager to see a drawing/pic of their proposed solution. I'll be sure to post more when I learn more.
                FYI: TiLite has removed mention of TIP3 & TIP4 (the fifth wheel anti-tippers) from their Options Brochure.
                Chas
                TiLite TR3

<
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by Dickie_Lad View Post
                  I REALLY REALLY LIKE the side guards, they?re very cool!
                  Thanks! I hope to be using them someday . . .
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3

<
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Today I took possession of my new TR3. VA says TiLite refuses to provide my chair with the published connection design for the fifth wheel anti-tip (FWAT), and (because it's not medically necessary) the VA accepts TiLite's decision

I am very thankful the VA has provided me such a custom chair. TiLite is fabricating a longer FWAT, which will help. I'm really anxious to try out the Dragonfly on the rear axle, but I must wait until the new anti-tip arrives, and until I have a few days free to apply helicopter-tape frame protection and move over some accessories from my AeroZ.

Apparently TiFit and DesignsUnlimited do have limits, and I found one

We (VA and I) still don't know why TiLite won't provide their own CAD design. VA's PT and I speculated several possibilities, but the bottom line is TiLite will neither provide it on my TR nor explain why not.

I now know my next chair challenge . . .

PS: actually I'm pretty bummed; I'd really hoped to be completely done with wheelchair challenges . . .
                    Last edited by chasmengr; 19 Nov 2015, 11:19 PM.
                    Chas
                    TiLite TR3

<
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

So do I take from this that you think that the compromise solution is safe, or that you can make it safe?

FWIW, I truly believe that the ONLY reason my new chair (a Melrose Piranha) works for me so beautifully is that I had the luxury of speaking to the engineer who actually built the thing, both before and during construction. TiLite doesn't seem to permit that, under any circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by QTiPi View Post
                        So do I take from this that you think that the compromise solution is safe, or that you can make it safe?

FWIW, I truly believe that the ONLY reason my new chair (a Melrose Piranha) works for me so beautifully is that I had the luxury of speaking to the engineer who actually built the thing, both before and during construction. TiLite doesn't seem to permit that, under any circumstances.
                        I am still reeling from being forced to accept a chair design I did not approve, so I'm not in an emotional state right now to offer a rational response. I pray I can make it safe with their new longer FWAT. I don't feel safe using it as is. Talking directly with the engineer would have been nice, but I'm not paying the bill, VA is; their guide is medical necessity, so their acceptance of TiLite's refusal removes all the air from my balloon . . .
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3

<
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Understood. :-(

Comment

Crap, they are forcing you to accept a design you did not approve when you signed the cadd. If the shoe was on the other foot, they would say you signed the cadd. Regardless of who is paying out of pocket, you are the ultimate customer, Tilite owes you something for coming up short in this business deal.
                            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Tilite has taken another downturn in customer service with this. They used to be so open and accommodating; top notch. But like the others, the bigger they get, the worse off we are for CS. I've had 5 Tilites since Marty Ball first started up back in the day. Parts could be had with just a call to the factory. Now, we have to go thru a DME who knows dick about a chair and pay extra for the part to boot.

This Tr3 I have now will be my last Tilite unless customer service gets better. I doubt it will so am looking at alternatives for the next chair.

Typical company; all about supporting the vets..unless it means extra work. All talk no do.

Comment

I was awake during the night and may have figured out a fix. It will cost some, but my wife is agreeable, so it just may be okay . . . (the chair I mean, not TiLite's behavior)
                                Last edited by chasmengr; 20 Nov 2015, 3:05 PM.
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3

<
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X