No announcement yet.

TiLite TR3 Fabrication Progress Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from Tilite rep today: "I will hopefully have a drawing of the anti tip this week."
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Any updates? I hope the new drawing was acceptable. It sure seems to be taking a long time...

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
      Email from Tilite rep today: "I will hopefully have a drawing of the anti tip this week."
      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

TiLite welding

I have to admit that I'm really impressed at the welds on all of my TiSport and TiLite 'chairs. Those welds are very impressive! Polished and then they give the 'chair a nice bead blast. Excellent quality and very consciousness to detail. Also, made in the USA!

Excellent craftsmanship to the men and women who work for TiLite. Excellent job people!

Thanks!

Ti
        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

TiLite finally sent the VA and me a CAD of their proposed 5th wheel Antitipper design for my TR3. I've drafted a response, but need to let it percolate my brain before sending it.

PS: sent it. Design not acceptable. I suggested a specific design using off-the-shelf parts: receiver, shaft collar, quick release
          Last edited by chasmengr; 9 Nov 2015, 10:26 PM.
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Hi Chasmengr
            I'm new to this forum so sorry if I'm late to the party, but I'm amazed (in a good way) at what a in-depth well thought out design of chair Tilite and your self are building. Are you a 'special' customer to get that level of service? My Tilite dealer wouldn't even give me a CAD drawing to sign off on! I worked my way trough the Ezi-Fit online process as best I could, printed out the result and gave him a copy. Regarding a CAD drawing I trawled the CAD depository on this website and saw one or two drawings similar to my specs and they looked alright so I paid me deposit and am currently waiting for the chair. It's an adjustable chair so providing it roughly fits I should be able to tweak it to suit me. But I wasn't particularly happy with the dealer but they are the only the only dealer in my area.

Re the photos of your build process they were great! Did you visit the factory and take the photos or did Tilite? Re the welding bench piccy, is the flexible tube plugged into the frame tube to circulate some special gas to aid the welding process?

Also thanks for explaining the reason for the rear camber tube to the other guy, I couldn't figure that out either!

Comment

Welcome to CCC, Dickie_Lad

My current chair is a TiLite AeroZ (series 1) that I have modified extensively and carefully over five years to fit and serve me well. I based measurements and features of the new TR3 (a titanium-frame, non-adjustable chair) on my modified AeroZ (an aluminum-frame, adjustable chair). The Veterans Adminstration places my wheelchair orders with the DMEs. The VA provides all my healthcare so I have an ongoing comprehensive relationship with them (including my PT who not only provides my physical therapy but also prepares and approves my wheelchair orders). So I am very blessed, but not special. VA orders a tremendous quantity of wheelchairs from TiLite, so they have serious clout, and TiLite makes great chairs.

The VA PT also ordered my Dragonfly. Then my AeroZ became five years old; because it serves me so well, has so many obvious mods (including small blocks of wood for spacers), yet does not allow full use of the Dragonfly (very little traction on normal axle position), she offered to order me a new chair with a second axle for changing CoG quickly when using the Dragonfly.

Before becoming unemployable, I worked as a consulting mechanical engineer, so my life experiences and training have simply followed over to wheelchair design . . .

The fabrication pics were graciously taken and emailed to me by TiLite, which is a CCC member.

TiLite is capable and willing to fabricate a huge number of custom mods to their chairs; they call it Designs Unlimited and TiFit. Many of their DU options have assigned nomenclature (e.g., DU100073 is Mixed Color Anodized Parts, and DU100032 is a modified frame with no footrest for users who need to propel with their feet). They are masters at customization if you're willing to have patience.

TiLite order forms are just the tip of the iceberg of their capabilities and offerings. If you know what you want, TiLite can provide virtually any configuration you order. If TiLite can't do it, try MikeBox who personally hand builds every wheelchair. Or if you want virtually unlimited adjustability/flexibility, try an Icon Wheelchair, whose inventor is also a CCC member: JeffAdams.
              Last edited by chasmengr; 10 Nov 2015, 8:03 PM.
              Chas
              TiLite TR3

<
              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by Dickie_Lad View Post
                . . . Re the welding bench piccy, is the flexible tube plugged into the frame tube to circulate some special gas to aid the welding process?
                Yes, an inert gas (typically nitrogen), which prevents tremendous quantities of welding slag from forming inside the tubes during fabrication.
                Chas
                TiLite TR3

<
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

My Tilite dealer wouldn't even give me a CAD drawing to sign off on!
                  This sounds ridiculous. TiLite offers the first CAD drawing for free with a wheelchair purchase. I actually believe they prefer you to sign-off on a drawing. It protects them as well as the purchaser from mistakes and misunderstandings. I've certainly never heard of TiLite refusing on their end to supply a drawing, so this must be coming from your DME supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by ala View Post
                    This sounds ridiculous. . .
                    x2
                    Chas
                    TiLite TR3

<
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I would think this is yours, looks like what your design.
                      Attached Files
                      Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Welcome to CCC, Dickie_Lad
                        Thankyou for welcome, it's much appreciated . I also used to work in engineering but electrical not mechanical. Although the first year of my apprenticeship was broad-based. I.E. a little bit of welding, fabrication, turning, bench fitting, etc, etc. So anything technical/practical greatly interests me.

I will probably go for a something like a TR for my next chair. My current chair is much too wide and too short for me and it was too much of a leap going to a non-adjustable chair. Because I would imagine as the wheels come in closer with a narrower chair you need to sit higher? Also I would imagine that with a longer seat it requires a slightly bigger difference between the FSH and RSH to maintain the same seat angle? If I'm not sitting comfortably my legs start to give a lot of grief and I can't remain in the chair

I looked at the Aero Z and really like it, especially the chunky tubing. I actually preferred it to the Aero T, but I've gone for AT because of the orthopaedic problems I need a 'relaxed' FFA and I felt that the dual tube design might make for a stiffer front end? If I could sit in a chair with a 90,85,80 degree FFA then I would have bought an AZ.

EDIT: Sorry, on hindsight I realise I shouldn't have wrote this blurb my chair as it's rather going off topic. I will get back on topic with my next post.
                        Last edited by Dickie_Lad; 11 Nov 2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Yes, an inert gas (typically nitrogen), which prevents tremendous quantities of welding slag from forming inside the tubes during fabrication.
                          Thankyou. Do you know whether it's just when welding titanium that they need the nitrogen, or do they also use it when welding aluminium?

Comment

Originally posted by ala View Post
                            This sounds ridiculous. TiLite offers the first CAD drawing for free with a wheelchair purchase. I actually believe they prefer you to sign-off on a drawing. It protects them as well as the purchaser from mistakes and misunderstandings. I've certainly never heard of TiLite refusing on their end to supply a drawing, so this must be coming from your DME supplier.
                            I agree it's the dealer rather Tilite. I would have liked a drawing and should have pushed for one. But I'm British (for my sins) and we don't like making a fuss! It's wasn't a deal breaker because I'm reasonably confident of my measurements and I got a good idea of what it'll look like from looking at similar chair CADs on CCC. The order form I signed off on just listed the vital measurements. I don't know whether the dealer had to sign off on a CAD? I was a bit ignorant of the process as this is first bespoke chair I've purchased.
                            Last edited by Dickie_Lad; 11 Nov 2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
                              I would think this is yours, looks like what your design.
                              Exactly! Thanks.
                              Chas
                              TiLite TR3

<
                              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Thankyou. Do you know whether it's just when welding titanium that they need the nitrogen, or do they also use it when welding aluminium?
                                Inert gas displaces oxygen that is needed to create slag during application of high heat required during brazing & welding. Slag inside the tubes eventually comes loose and rattles around but does effect structural integrity, so using inert gas is not necessary, but it's a very nice indicator of quality. Each manufacturer can choose whether or not to use inert gas while welding.

In hospital medical gas piping, which is copper, use of inert gas is legally required during brazing because slag inside the piping would reach patients' lungs. I know of no other instance where not using inert gas during welding is actually illegal.

FWIW:
                                soldering = ~450DegF, Brazing = ~1000DegF, Welding = temps above brazing, which vary depending on metal being welded.
                                Last edited by chasmengr; 11 Nov 2015, 1:59 PM.
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3

<
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X