New Frog Sheilds for Frog Leg casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Frog Sheilds for Frog Leg casters

I love it, finally. I hope they work to keep hair, etc. out.

http://www.froglegsinc.com/collectio...ts/frog-shield

Click image for larger version

Name:	frogsheild.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	2667125
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Sweet!! I almost impulsively bought a set, but I'm getting a new TiLite chair soon with Performance casters, I'll wait to compare them with my FL casters to see if they'll work (or I may have to buy another set of FL casters).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

rookie question...what are FL casters

Comment

Have to get us some of those. I see that they "will also retro-fit to Frog Legs existing wheels made in prior years".

I still like Pattherat's "monkey" solution, but this looks way easier (see Hair (etc.) in casters #32).
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by noworries View Post
          rookie question...what are FL casters
          FL =, FrogLegs.

and just for fun, FLAHSR (which may see among posts - welcome BTW) = Frog Legs Aluminum Hub Soft Roll
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I did order set today, so I will see....

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
              I did order set today, so I will see....
              Let us know . . .
              Chas
              TiLite TR3

<
              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                Let us know . . .
                I will.

Comment

I got the Frog Shields today, they are more elaborate than I was expecting. As you can see, they are a cup that should set over the hub. They look like they should do a good job keeping stuff out of the bearings. BTW, you can get them in silver (unpainted) as well; I wish I would have now that I see them better.

Name:	2015-06-16.jpg
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	2658802

Comment

On what casters are you planning to use using them? Do you think they'll work on TiLite's performance casters (with R6 bearings)?
                    Chas
                    TiLite TR3

<
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                      On what casters are you planning to use using them? Do you think they'll work on TiLite's performance casters (with R6 bearings)?
                      I am using them on my FL casters. I do not think they would work with TiLite LiteSpeed casters, taking a quick look at picture.

Comment

I find these interesting, but I've found that the best way to keep hair out is with hair. I just let the hair wind itself into a felted mass around my casters and then just oil the hair to keep things rolling. (It squeaks like a mouse if I don't and scares my wife at night.) It's even worse than this. I kind of like the fact that the hair has a dampening affect on slightly un-level surfaces. [hangs head in shame] I don't have to constantly lock and unlock my brakes to keep from rolling. This TR3 just rolls too easily.

Comment

Originally posted by ala View Post
                          I find these interesting, but I've found that the best way to keep hair out is with hair. I just let the hair wind itself into a felted mass around my casters and then just oil the hair to keep things rolling. (It squeaks like a mouse if I don't and scares my wife at night.) It's even worse than this. I kind of like the fact that the hair has a dampening affect on slightly un-level surfaces. [hangs head in shame] I don't have to constantly lock and unlock my brakes to keep from rolling. This TR3 just rolls too easily.
                          This process is not keeping the hair out. The hair gets into the bearings and dries them out, hence the squeaking noise and why the chair does not roll.

Comment

Do the shields spin with the wheel, or are they locked in place by the axle? I just ordered new bearings for my casters. After 4 years of cleaning out hair every 6 months, the bearings are finally shot.

Comment

The shields stay in place. (I just got them installed.) It was easier to install the casters with these than with the spacers. I also installed a fresh set of bearings, Bones Super Reds. The cup part rests around the hub and up against the wheel, so there has to be some rubbing, I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I want no hindrance to the wheels spinning. On the other hand, when we spin the wheel, it does spin, not "endlessly", but spins free enough. I should note that these work with the aluminum FL casters; I also have the plastic hub version that we could once get from TiLite, these will not work with those.

Making it 6 moths between cleanings is longer than I could go, but I work from home and pick up every piece of hair my wife loses.

Name:	2015-06-17 (4).jpg
Size:	982.0 KB
ID:	2658804

Name:	2015-06-17 (5).jpg
Size:	896.2 KB
ID:	2658805

Name:	2015-06-17 (6).jpg