• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to put together a video on these: https://youtu.be/ulJUBIcEAYE

Comment

Originally posted by Tsquared View Post
      Decided to put together a video on these: https://youtu.be/ulJUBIcEAYE
      Awesome video, did you need to get a different size bolt? Will the stock one work?
      C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
        Awesome video, did you need to get a different size bolt? Will the stock one work?
        Stock axle and screw will work with the frog shields. I just choose to replace them primarily because I prefer to work with hex heads vs allen.

Comment

Thanks!
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Stock axle and screw will work with the frog shields. I just choose to replace them primarily because I prefer to work with hex heads vs allen.
            Thanks I will order them soon

Comment

I have the TiLite unitines with FL aluminum caster and a MT. Dew cap with a hole drilled in it works perfect on the fork side. The screw side is easy enough to clean and collects very little hair.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                I have the TiLite unitines with FL aluminum caster and a MT. Dew cap with a hole drilled in it works perfect on the fork side. The screw side is easy enough to clean and collects very little hair.
                Mt Dew cap? I like it! You should post some pics.

I have no problem having paid the $30 for the actual frog shields since they also take the place of the spacers and are the only way I can service them myself, and I know they will outlive the chair, but for your unitines I can see the cap being all that is needed.

Comment

Mt Dew cap? I like it! You should post some pics.

I have no problem having paid the $30 for the actual frog shields since they also take the place of the spacers and are the only way I can service them myself, and I know they will outlive the chair, but for your unitines I can see the cap being all that is needed.
                  after one day, it's looking good. My dog sheds A LOT and usually doesn't take long to collect a ball of hair. we'll see how it does after a few more days?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I kind of feel ripped off by the shipping price. The only option I could choose is 2 shipping which was $10 via PayPal

Comment

Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
                      I kind of feel ripped off by the shipping price. The only option I could choose is 2 shipping which was $10 via PayPal

Do you have an HSA or FSA? I know $ is still, but I used my HSA to get reimbursed for mine, makes me feel better about it at least. After seeing JSChism's idea, if push came to shove I'm sure someone could glue one of the original collars to a pop bottle cap with a hole in it. Good luck in whatever path you choose!

Comment

Do you have an HSA or FSA? I know $ is still, but I used my HSA to get reimbursed for mine, makes me feel better about it at least. After seeing JSChism's idea, if push came to shove I'm sure someone could glue one of the original collars to a pop bottle cap with a hole in it. Good luck in whatever path you choose!
                        You don't need to glue it, just drill the hole big enough to slide over the spacers. It has to float freely over the bearing cup on the wheel or it will cause drag. It is simply nothing but a loose fitting cover to keep crap out of the bearing. I have noticed it will collect a hair and there in between the cap and my fork, but since nothing there is actually turning, it isn't wrapping up and it will easily just pull right off.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                          You don't need to glue it, just drill the hole big enough to slide over the spacers. It has to float freely over the bearing cup on the wheel or it will cause drag. It is simply nothing but a loose fitting cover to keep crap out of the bearing. I have noticed it will collect a hair and there in between the cap and my fork, but since nothing there is actually turning, it isn't wrapping up and it will easily just pull right off.
                          I was coming from the perspective of gluing the collar to the cap so that it would all assemble easier and be basically identical to the frog shields. With loose collars and my quad hands I'd be right back to needing assistance in reassembly every time. I won't be needing to do this anyway, just making suggestions for any future readers. As long as the cap is not tight on the hub of the wheel, just like an actual frog shield, there would be no additional friction. Great feedback still!

Comment

Unfortunately I don't, but after changing the shields I had a lot of hair. Though they are finally gone

Comment

Thanks for the update. Still haven't bought mine, waiting for HSA account to get caught up.

On another note, I got tired of having trouble with the Allen heads on my axles. Replaced with 8mm hex head bolt and nylon lock nut and it's been working just as well. Able to tighten easily and not causing any binding.
                              I like that idea! On my chair about to be ordered, I decided on FL instead of new Out-Front Glide suspension forks after having a chance to try them. TiLite used to offer FL, but now that they are selling Glide it is not available directly through them. Glide worked great outdoors, but indoor footprint was uncomfortably large for me.

Comment

reporting back

Here is how much hair built up after about 3 months of use. IMO the frog shields have zero to little effect on how much hair gets wrapped up in the casters and bearings. But they make the assembly so much easier, which makes me more likely to clean them often, which helps my bearings last longer. So I still feel they are 100% worth it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X