New Frog Sheilds for Frog Leg casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
    This process is not keeping the hair out. The hair gets into the bearings and dries them out, hence the squeaking noise and why the chair does not roll.
    Actually, my bearings never get hair in them on this chair. They're well sealed with steel seals. The squeaking is from the hair getting so tightly packed against things. Oil or remove the hair and the squeaking goes away--rolls good. Bearings always look great. That hasn't been my experience with other chairs and bearings. Dirt, moisture, and hair have ruined those.

Comment

Thanks for the installed pics, Brian
      Chas
      TiLite TR3
      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
      <
      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Thanks for the pics, and also the note about them being easier to install then having to hold the collars in place when re-installing the wheels. That was always the hardest part about cleaning them. The fact that they replace the collars is probably going to be what pushes me to buy them now.

Comment

Very cool. Frog Legs does it again but .. I have Unitines. They look great though. Wish I'd had them years ago (the shields).

Comment

They are much easier to install Tsquared, you put the shields around the hubs and then slide the caster and shields into place and run axle through, it is easy to hold them all together.

I plan to report back after a month, I generally needed to clean mine out in about a months time. I will say though, after a couple days with them, I am happy with them, no complaints. One thing you have to watch for is to not tighten the screws down to tight, otherwise it may hinder caster rotation. But it isn't hard to figure out the right tension, just spin the caster.

I cannot see how hair would get into the bearings with these, which is awesome. I will be curious if I still get hair wrapped around the shield, I hope not. By now I would already have hair collecting around the spacers; I do not have hair collecting around the shields at this point.
            Last edited by Brianm; 19 Jun 2015, 5:47 PM.
            C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
              One thing you have to watch for is to not tighten the screws down to tight, otherwise it may hinder caster rotation. But it isn't hard to figure out the right tension, just spin the caster.
              I've had these on for about 5-6 weeks and they work great. No hair what so ever. Will save me from having to clean my bearings (Bones swiss ceramics) every month.

I had to tighten mine a hard as I could otherwise they rattle and it did not hinder caster rotation. They spin free.

Definitely recommend these.

Comment

Yeah, I have had them for a month now and I am very pleased with them. My casters are still spinning freely and while there is just a little hair wrapped around one, it is just around the shield, so no harm and no ill affect.

Comment

Thanks for posting the reviews!!
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3
                  I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                  <
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

We pulled my Frog Shields off today to pull off hair that was wrapped around them. To my surprise, there was hair inside the shield on the bearing; this is a bit disappointing and I am puzzled how it could manage to get in there.

That said, it wasn't a lot and when we popped the cover off and looked at the bearings, they looked great, nice and clean. In the past they would be full of chewed up hair and they would need cleaned and re-lubed. So, overall I am still glad I have them but realize that I will need to clean them out every so often; I am about 10 days away from having them on for 2 months. They are definitely keeping my bearings cleaner and it is easier to remount the casters, but wish no hair made it to the inside.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Still haven't bought mine, waiting for HSA account to get caught up.

On another note, I got tired of having trouble with the Allen heads on my axles. Replaced with 8mm hex head bolt and nylon lock nut and it's been working just as well. Able to tighten easily and not causing any binding.

Comment

[QUOTE=Brianm;1774545]We pulled my Frog Shields off today to pull off hair that was wrapped around them. To my surprise, there was hair inside the shield on the bearing; this is a bit disappointing and I am puzzled how it could manage to get in there.

That said, it wasn't a lot and when we popped the cover off and looked at the bearings, they looked great, nice and clean. In the past they would be full of chewed up hair and they would need cleaned and re-lubed. So, overall I am still glad I have them but realize that I will need to clean them out every so often; I am about 10 days away from having them on for 2 months. They are definitely keeping my bearings cleaner and it is easier to remount the casters, but wish no hair made it to the inside.[/QUOTE

Yeah, I was wondering what would stop hair from just wrapping around the shield. With the torque applied to binding hair while the caster rotates I'm not surprised to hear some gets by the shield. Nice update. Good info.
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Finally purchased and installed my set. I wish they had come out with these years ago. Mostly for the fact that I am a C6 quad and assembly is soooo much easier now. Without the shields it was impossible for me to get the collars installed without the assistance of someone else. But with the shields they are much easier to hold everything together and have everything aligned withing the fork. I also decided to replace the standard Allen screw and shaft with a standard 6mm screw and nylock nut. I always felt the button head Allens were at risk of rounding, but no worries about that with the standard hex bolt and nut. I know the reason frog legs uses the button head is to keep it lower profile, but for me the hex is much better in the long run.

Comment

While I am unable to change them myself, my dad does it, he wholeheartedly agrees with it being much easier to reinstall the wheels using these, may be worth it just for that. Having used them for many months now, I do get hair inside the shields, how I do not know. That said, the hair appears to stay sandwiched between the inside of the shield and the outside of bearing, rather than getting into the bearings. So, my dad still cleans them out, although less often, and it is easier to do and in the past we had to clean and re-lube the bearings every time.

Comment

pics showing new bolts
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great posts, guys! Thanks )
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3

<
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X