Jay Protector experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jay Protector experiences?

I'm thinking of taking up kayaking, but our beach access is a bit rocky. I figure I'll need to leave the chair behind and scoot across the stones, and then I'd be sitting in the boat for extended periods of time.
    I found the Jay Protector on spinlife.com, and was wondering if anyone had any impressions of it? I've been sitting on a jay 2 for years and it's always kept me pressure sore free. I'd like to continue that trend.
    Thanks!

taziar,

A similar product is the "AllRounder" but its cushioning structure entails a quantity of golf-ball-sized air cells rather than a gel component. Each product - the Jay Protector and the Comfort Company's AllRounder - exhibits advantages over the other product.

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that one before. I'll have to see if I can't find more info on both.

Comment

I've had a few Jay protectors. The first one lasted the longest. The others failed pretty fast. The gel in them migrates and brakes down. I took the last one apart, added some foam to replace the jell and have used it for years.

Comment

I've used Jay protectors for over 20 years and tend to agree with baldfatdad. I only buy slings or covers and put my own closed cell foam in the cover, I didn't find the gel cushion part much use. I think it will work well for your scenario? I always wear some mechanic gloves, jay protector and ankle covering hi-tops when climbing. Good luck

Comment

Great tip, thank you! Didn't occur to me that you could buy the cover separately. Where do you usually purchase it from? I found it at quickie-wheelchairs for $86 for the sling, $34 for the cover, plus shipping I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by taziar View Post
              Great tip, thank you! Didn't occur to me that you could buy the cover separately. Where do you usually purchase it from? I found it at quickie-wheelchairs for $86 for the sling, $34 for the cover, plus shipping I'm sure.
              I might check the online sites

Comment

I have a Jay Protector that I used years ago, when I weighed less. I used it while sitting outside on the ground and gardening. The only thing I didn't like on it was the straps for the support part of it didn't adjust easily. The only thing I use on it now is the actual cushion. I use it on my footplate when I am barefoot, so I don't get a sore on the bottom of my foot. I put some gripping stuff on the bottom of it, so it would stay on my footplate easier.

Jessie

Comment

My straps were always very quick and easy to tighten/loosen. Possible that your buckles were threaded incorrectly?

Comment

It could be, as I bought it used.
                    Originally posted by roller View Post
                    My straps were always very quick and easy to tighten/loosen. Possible that your buckles were threaded incorrectly?

Comment

Working...
                    X