Titanium vs Aluminium.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
    I've got 3" razors on the chair that stays indoors. That chair runs almost exclusively on hardwood floors. Those wheels are perfect for that purpose IMHO. I have them on another chair which also sometimes needs to go outside, not so much fun, need to keep them wheelied alot outside.
    I used to have those 3 inchers (like inline skate wheels) on my Eclipse (it had a 110 degree front frame) until they caught a raised section while coming down a ramp carrying a box. I flipped forward and broke my femur. You're right. People should use them with care outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by ala View Post
      I used to have those 3 inchers (like inline skate wheels) on my Eclipse (it had a 110 degree front frame) until they caught a raised section while coming down a ramp carrying a box. I flipped forward and broke my femur. You're right. People should use them with care outdoors.
      Was it a red Eclipse with removable casters? I picked up one used for 300 and use it downstairs and when I absolutely have to take the sedan somewhere. With the removable casters it fits easier and is fairly light. But it almost never gets outside anymore. I prefer to keep the floors clean.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
        Was it a red Eclipse with removable casters?
        No, mine was purple. I ordered it around 1997-98. It did have those quick-release caster forks--very handy for cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by ala View Post
          No, mine was purple. I ordered it around 1997-98. It did have those quick-release caster forks--very handy for cleaning.
          This one is probably that old. I wish it fit me better, but I don't stay in it long. However back on topic, except where the previous owner scraped the paint off the knees loading in cars it looks fine being painted aluminum. It certainly is light enough. I only see the big advantage to titanium in that you can actually make a chair look almost brand new again after being a complete basket case using some sandpaper and elbowgrease. I've done it.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
            Reading how the poster uses their chair, I would not rule out FL casters for their function; specifically stating they only use the chair outside; those skinny and hard wheels suck outside.
            Hi,
            These are the castors that on my chair. I think they're approximately 1" wide, although the edges are chamfered off so I would guess the rolling surface is about 1/2" wide or something like that? NB: They're all plastic with no tyre.

5" LOW PROFILE POLY
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 08.53.23.png
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	2658798

I don't know what FL castors are? Could yourself of anyone possibly advise me on what size, width, and hardness, of castor I should specify when ordering the new chair? As mentioned before I only use the chair outdoors, on tarmac pavements and side roads. I also have the chair setup quite tippy mainly because I find having less weight going through the front wheels makes wheeling it easier, plus I can grab more of the handrims.

Comment

TiLite no longer offers a FrogLeg caster, that I know of, but rather a version of their own that is the same basic design, the Litespeed. The sizes are on the order forms. My recommendation would be the 1.5" version, as it will perform better outside. You have two options of a 5" x 1.5" caster, that I saw, both have the same soft roll rubber, but one has a plastic hub and the other billet aluminum. If the billet is more than you want to spend, the plastic will perform just as well, at least that is my experience with FL's.
              C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                TiLite no longer offers a FrogLeg caster, that I know of, but rather a version of their own that is the same basic design, the Litespeed. The sizes are on the order forms. My recommendation would be the 1.5" version, as it will perform better outside. You have two options of a 5" x 1.5" caster, that I saw, both have the same soft roll rubber, but one has a plastic hub and the other billet aluminum. If the billet is more than you want to spend, the plastic will perform just as well, at least that is my experience with FL's.
                Thankyou

Comment

I'm considering getting a satin aluminum frame, and then polishing it to chrome/mirror level myself using wet/dry sandpaper, a drill buffer/buffing compound, and finishing it with some automotive metal polish. Has anyone done this? Bad idea?

I want a polished finish more than any paint color that will chip, and can't bear paying Tilite $280 just for a polished finish... Also Titanium is great (my current chair is satin titanium) but it might be too rich for my blood right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mugwump View Post
                    I'm considering getting a satin aluminum frame, and then polishing it to chrome/mirror level myself using wet/dry sandpaper, a drill buffer/buffing compound, and finishing it with some automotive metal polish. Has anyone done this? Bad idea?

I want a polished finish more than any paint color that will chip, and can't bear paying Tilite $280 just for a polished finish... Also Titanium is great (my current chair is satin titanium) but it might be too rich for my blood right now.
                    It has been done by some to Ti chairs, try searching the archives.
                    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

It would be a lot easier on aluminum than titanium, which I know some folks have done. Bare aluminum would be incredibly soft and scratch prone. I didn't even know unfinished/satin/bead blasted aluminum was an option. I've seen clear coating on aluminum, but not unfinished. It would oxidize and get powdery, I think.
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                        It would be a lot easier on aluminum than titanium, which I know some folks have done. Bare aluminum would be incredibly soft and scratch prone. I didn't even know unfinished/satin/bead blasted aluminum was an option. I've seen clear coating on aluminum, but not unfinished. It would oxidize and get powdery, I think.
                        Nope, both of my chairs are raw uncoated aluminum and no issues. The oxidative layer is very thin and just makes it slightly dull while the wear points stay very shiny. I get a bit of a black smudge in a very small spot on the sides of my legs when wearing shorts where my legs rub the front tubes but that's it.
                        T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

Comment

Originally posted by gmorris View Post
                          Nope, both of my chairs are raw uncoated aluminum and no issues. The oxidative layer is very thin and just makes it slightly dull while the wear points stay very shiny. I get a bit of a black smudge in a very small spot on the sides of my legs when wearing shorts where my legs rub the front tubes but that's it.
                          Ahhh, gotcha. fwiw, I'd consider black smudges rubbing off my chair on to me an issue, but it takes all kinds!

A thin layer of oxidization is almost like a finish in itself.

Does it pick up scratches easily? What Al alloy and temper do you use? Assuming this is a custom...of course.
                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by gmorris View Post
                            I wonder if the automotive aluminum polish would minimize the oxidation/residue? It's supposed to work on car wheels. Hmm

Comment

Working...
                            X