No announcement yet.

Smartdrive new model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really like the idea of a wrist band... I already wear a fitbit most of the time.

Also, I am leery of the idea of having the battery integrated; what is the battery life like? they should offer the option to have an external battery AS WELL? so that we can get extra distance?

another problem I have, which ill post about in the other thread, is my smartdrive can barely handle any water at all. It's died twice so far this winter.

Comment

I wear wrist braces, so I don't think the wristband would work for me. Also I don't know for sure yet if my vehicle lift (speedilift) will work with the smart drive attached, so if I have to remove the drive wheel to load my chair its in my favor to have the weight split between the battery and the drivewheel. Its unfortunate because the all on one design would otherwise work better with the Icon wheelchair!
      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
        I wear wrist braces, so I don't think the wristband would work for me. Also I don't know for sure yet if my vehicle lift (speedilift) will work with the smart drive attached, so if I have to remove the drive wheel to load my chair its in my favor to have the weight split between the battery and the drivewheel. Its unfortunate because the all on one design would otherwise work better with the Icon wheelchair!
        I wish I could have made it to the LA expo too to see the bracelet and switch. It seems to me it should be possible to mount it on your chair instead. It might be necessary to jerry rig something to get it in the correct position.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

The wristband needs to have the movement of your wrist. I don't think it would work mounted on the chair. It could be easily mounted on the outside of the wrist brace.

Comment

I was told today that the modes have not been decided yet, they still may go with outdoor only mode on the new model. The bracelet will not be offered at any time on the old model, and both models will be sold (they are not discontinuing anything, they will be separate distinct models with different offerings)
            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

1. Seems odd not do have indoor mode. Plenty of cases where you don't want or need 'cruise control'. Would be good to have an interface to tweak the operations ourselves.
              2. What happens in a if the bracelet is lost/malfunctions/isn't charged? Perhaps it should revert to indoor mode only. Otherwise you're stuck with a 14Kg dead weight to push around til you get home.
              3. Perhaps there could be an auxiliary jack to add the button for those who prefer it, and to use in case of occurrences in #2 until the bracelet is back in action.
              3a. If it is bracelet only, probably someone will hack it to give themselves other inputs. Sounds like nonoise will be up for it.
              4. If they haven't decided what to make yet, how can I have it in May?

Comment

Originally posted by mishahu View Post
                1. Seems odd not do have indoor mode. Plenty of cases where you don't want or need 'cruise control'. Would be good to have an interface to tweak the operations ourselves.
                2. What happens in a if the bracelet is lost/malfunctions/isn't charged? Perhaps it should revert to indoor mode only. Otherwise you're stuck with a 14Kg dead weight to push around til you get home.
                3. Perhaps there could be an auxiliary jack to add the button for those who prefer it, and to use in case of occurrences in #2 until the bracelet is back in action.
                3a. If it is bracelet only, probably someone will hack it to give themselves other inputs. Sounds like nonoise will be up for it.
                4. If they haven't decided what to make yet, how can I have it in May?
                Maybe the outdoor mode isn't truly the old outdoor that we know it to be, but something different and they might rename it. After all the product is not on the market yet.
                As for hacking, I would *not* hack their warranted product. Max-Mobility deserves top billing if there ever was one for standing by their product.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Now and then I've googled and now I've fount this page at last. http://kranendonk.se/smartdrive-mx2.html

In case it gets taken down, the specs say that the range will be 19km.

Here's a picture of the bracelet. Otherwise the images look the same on the chair as the MX1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwfh1v71zu...celet.jpg?dl=0

Comment

Mishahu, thank you for finding that information. I have looked at it and I used Google Translate to read the copy (below). I'm very interested. Having just one unit to put on and remove would be great. The information isn't up yet at Max Mobility so I don't know the weight, speed, etcetera. I am very curious about the drive mode. Indoor mode didn't work well for me outdoors. Small bumps or even sudden rises in the sidewalk would cause the motor to shut off. The SmartDrive has been so great for me, making so many things possible that I am very curious to learn about the new one.

Google Translate of German at website:

"SmartDrive can be used for normal traffic and flat ground but easier especially when little tougher ground or hilly terrain. One gets the assist force corresponding to the force oneself applies to the drive ring. The harder you shoot at the faster it goes. Help The force continues to push on until the brake wheel. On the wrist , you have a bracelet that communicates with Smart Power . If you shoot works SmartDrive as usual. If you brake , scans the bracelet that you want to stop and turn off the driving force. The technology is tested and certified according to European state regulations. SmartDrive is safe to use but above all , fun to drive."

Comment

On the specs tab:

weight = 6.1 kg
                      Speed: 0 - 6 km/h

Comment

13.4lbs
                        3.7mph

I wonder about those numbers. The first might be true but the second number, it's so slow. The new model hasn't finished with FDA approval yet. I think when that happens, the specifications and more will be on the MaxMobility website. I also hope to find out about the wristband then.

My SD weighs 11lbs -battery, 8lbs drive (the website has always had these numbers reversed). And I go fast at 5.8mph. I've measure with GPS. Even with a strong headwind, something to lean in to, the speed only went down to 5.1mph. I am about 150lbs.

Originally posted by mishahu View Post
                        On the specs tab:

weight = 6.1 kg
                        Speed: 0 - 6 km/h

Comment

I felt the top speed of MX1 was unnecessarily fast. Unless I'm on open, even and completely level ground it felt difficult to control.

Among people and normal navigation like shopping centres and footpaths (malls and sidewalks for you), corridors etc it is unnecessary. General strolling with someone the first 3 speeds cover ambling to a brisk walk. Indeed, my wife's usual stroll pace is halfway between speeds 1 and 2 of the MX1.

MAX is very fussy about early release of information, the page referred to above has disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                            13.4lbs
                            3.7mph

I wonder about those numbers. The first might be true but the second number, it's so slow. The new model hasn't finished with FDA approval yet. I think when that happens, the specifications and more will be on the MaxMobility website. I also hope to find out about the wristband then.

My SD weighs 11lbs -battery, 8lbs drive (the website has always had these numbers reversed). And I go fast at 5.8mph. I've measure with GPS. Even with a strong headwind, something to lean in to, the speed only went down to 5.1mph. I am about 150lbs.
                            I think the 13 pound total weight is likely correct. MX2 reportedly uses a smaller amp hour battery which would be considerably less weight and occupy less space. I do agree that the top speed seems to be wrong. It is settable by software and I doubt they would create such a slow speed restriction. That is unless there truly is only one mode, and at one mode, they may want to keep the possible top speed down for indoor use.

Comment

Hi Mark and Ben, great to meet you at the ATSA Expo in Sydney and have a chance to try out the MX2. Congratulations on an excellent product. It will greatly help my mobility and I'm keen to see it on sale here.

For readers of the above, the addition to information already here is about the wristband, which has a button press to switch on, and has a motion sensor so any tap of the wrist on a handrim turns off the motor ... no need to aim a particular spot on the wristband to switch off. The movement will quickly become intuitive and a movement as part of grabbing the handrims to stop so justifies removal of 'indoor mode'.

Another feature not mentioned is an accessory switch to run the motor at a low speed. Motor switches off on releasing the switch; for me I'd rather the motor continue after release, until the normal bracelet switch-off, and the normal push-to-increase-speed function continue to be active, as that will better for getting help on a hill and allows steering - especially as I have use of only one hand. That's in the software so maybe there'll be consideration of different function.

Comment

Thank you for more information. I can't quite picture what you are saying about the changes. I am hoping there will be a video to watch when the new model is out.

Comment

Working...
                                X