"break down" lightweight travel power chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "break down" lightweight travel power chair

Some time ago someone posted a site showing a video of a small take a long power chair. The man was showing how it fit into a bag for travel, The batteries fit into "sleeves" alongside the sides of the chair. I can't find it in search. Help! Thanks!

p.s. It's not the EZ Lite Cruiser, altho that is an option.
    Last edited by Lynne; 01-20-2015, 11:54 AM.

this one maybe ?
    http://lightestelectricwheelchair.com/
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

That MAY be it! I was thinking the one I saw had a different "case" for travel. There was a different man showing it as well. But these two are good options for flying and worried about damage to an expensive TiLite ZRA. Not that these are cheap!
      Thanks very much robonik, for responding!

Comment

This looks like the one that was at the Abilities Expo I tried out http://kdsmartchair.com/ A year or so ago a saw them configured with 24 inch rear wheels and being marketed fro Golden motors China, a reputable firm from what I was told. Every time I have checked since October '14, the price has been 2k.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I think that's the one. Anyway, thanks nonoise! What did you think of it? Did it feel solid, or was it wobbly?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
            I think that's the one. Anyway, thanks nonoise! What did you think of it? Did it feel solid, or was it wobbly?
            As I said I tried it at the Expo. Earlier in the day I had tried out E-Motions and Iglide, both of which I liked. But this was a fraction of their cost, and it seemed like a serious contender to a part time user like me. As for sturdiness, I saw no obvious flaws, but I was not looking for defects. However it performed fine when I transferred into and out of it. It seemed solid. Performance wise, I only traveled less than 100 feet, but the joystick responded fine. You might want to find out if it is programmable.

The main thing the chair has going for it is portability and power. 50 pounds folded with batteries seems unbelievable.

The drawbacks are small rear wheels, which really makes it a transfer chair instead of a wheelchair. I wouldn?t drive it across the grass like they do in the videos. And it better fit, because there are no adjustments that I am aware of. I was ok for my short time rolling around in it. On the other hand, who knows what I would say after say using it for a solid three days.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

This one has always interested me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXAs-5d7DI
              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Thanks, nonoise, for that review! It's not complete, as you say, but it's more than I had! I appreciate the tip on the pronto, Lin. It's a great looking unit for sure. I'm a part time power user and am looking for something smaller for travel, even by air, so these others would probably work out better. Thanks!

Comment

There are also some pretty tiny scooters around now. Most of them under 1K.

Comment

Thanks, baldfatdad. I'm thinking I don't want anything "in front of me" like scooters have. I do use power for shopping, but use a small, although heavy, rehab power chair. Quickie V 121, I think it is. Otherwise I'm a contented ZRA user.

Comment

This one has a delux version with 12 inch rear wheels that look much larger and better than the small ones, but it comes with a significant increase in cost. Weight only increases to 60 pounds, but that may be the straw that breaks the camels back. However their page does show they sell the programing unit. http://www.ezlitecruiser.com/ I only found this because someone near here has one up for sale on craigs http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/hab/4855952770.html

Comment

I saw that one, nonoise. It looks about the same as the smart chair. Only thing I can't figure out is that the battery is under the seat, but it has those same side "sleeves" where the batteries are located in the smart chair. What's THAT all about? What are those there for if not to contain batteries? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                          I saw that one, nonoise. It looks about the same as the smart chair. Only thing I can't figure out is that the battery is under the seat, but it has those same side "sleeves" where the batteries are located in the smart chair. What's THAT all about? What are those there for if not to contain batteries? Thanks!
                          That explains the extra battery they offer on the accessories page. Actually those tubes are probably as much structural as well as anything else. And the up side of it is if the battery ever needed to be replaced one would not be forced to get the proprietary SmartChair tube battery. In fact you could just cut the cable off this one and get any litihium phosphate 24 volt battery and use it.

Comment

I'm with you on the scooter issue. I can't stand using store scooters, having my arms in front of me badly hurts my shoulders. The fact I'm a rather petite woman and the scooters are unisex for a large variety of body sizes makes it much worse. It hurts so much to have to hold my arms out in front of me like that with no support.
                            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Working...
                            X