Modeling my next chair . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I was more so asking it as a general question for the addition of "non-standard" parts, than any part in particular. I would assume they have gone through whatever test government would require for any mod to the configuration. For example, adding any additional part surely alters the weight of the chair. That additional weight, and you know, does all kinds of things to the overall geometry of chair.
    I would presume so also. . . Although what about things like aftermarket umbrellas? They must have a profound effect during windy conditions - maybe that's why umbrellas are so weak; they fail before tipping a chair over ???
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
      If you wanted locks with both positions, I wonder if mounting some compact scissor locks for the rear position would be in the way or not.
      Intriguing idea . . . I'll look into it. Thanks
      Chas
      TiLite TR3
      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
      <
      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I've recently had mine removed, but I believe they're far enough to the side when not engaged that they wouldn't be in the way. I know weight isn't a big concern, but they're also quite small and unobtrusive so would be fairly simple to add. Don't you have a pair that you used with the magic wheels before you adapted them for your Ds locks? You could even experiment yourself.
        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Doesn't the Dragonfly have a locking brake? (The Firefly has two). Therefore if you are only using the rear axle when the Dragonfly is fitted, you don't really need brakes for the chair itself, do you?
          Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
            I've recently had mine removed, but I believe they're far enough to the side when not engaged that they wouldn't be in the way. I know weight isn't a big concern, but they're also quite small and unobtrusive so would be fairly simple to add. Don't you have a pair that you used with the magic wheels before you adapted them for your Ds locks? You could even experiment yourself.
            I had a pair; one broke badly (rivet tore out sideways). That was the impetus behind modifying my MagicWheels for use with D's. Maybe I still have the unbroken one - I'll check. (Have I ever mentioned how much I love hub locks )

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
            Doesn't the Dragonfly have a locking brake? (The Firefly has two). Therefore if you are only using the rear axle when the Dragonfly is fitted, you don't really need brakes for the chair itself, do you?
            Dragonfly does have a parking brake (mine is a disc), but having an unlocked chair while attaching the DF can be tricky. I will practice, but a few mods must still be made to the DF before I can start using it regularly (i.e., shifter moved to grip [because of my dysmetria and intention tremors], and obtain a chair with second axle [for sufficient traction].)
            Chas
            TiLite TR3

<
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
            X