Smart Drive mx1+ questions/issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
    Thanks, I just stuck my phones camera right against the opening under the clip. When you say a dip, are you meaning it's going into the battery instead of sticking out like mine?
    I don't have a camera phone. Maybe that is why I am having trouble, my lens might be too wide to see through the opening up close.
    Mine goes into the battery, down, but are you sure yours sticks up? I ask because if I look at it through the camera at the angle you used, it looks like yours, that is up. Look or take a picture a right angles to the seam and see what it looks like.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Here's what it looks like looking down the seam, it's not much but you can tell:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	2658411
      However, after putting a piece of black tape over the front of my sling to stiffen the edge that got bent/folded from the last battery, it slides on all the way now. I guess the little hump in the new one was small enough to let the sling slide past it. Nonoise, thanks for all of your help!

Comment

Also, for those interested in the questions about the battery, I got some info from Max Mobility. Here is the response to my email:

"When the Smartdrive is powered on but not running it does not use much power at all, leaving it on is okay. If it has been a few days between charges then you can turn it off to preserve if you want.

Leaving your battery in the car at freezing temps is okay, I do it all the time and never had any problems. The battery can withstand extreme conditions and still work the same."

So, that's good to know. Just wanted to pass that on.

Comment

Also, for those interested in the questions about the battery, I got some info from Max Mobility. Here is the response to my email:
          "When the Smartdrive is powered on but not running it does not use much power at all, leaving it on is okay. If it has been a few days between charges then you can turn it off to preserve if you want.
          Leaving your battery in the car at freezing temps is okay, I do it all the time and never had any problems. The battery can withstand extreme conditions and still work the same."
          So, that's good to know. Just wanted to pass that on.

folllow up thoughts:
          I wish there was a battery charge indicator anywhere on the unit. We never know the state of the battery until the it's recharged and how long it took to recharge it.

It's good to read their take on the safety of leaving the battery out in the freezing cold, but I'm reading that the cold they are talking about is Nashville's cold, My trike battery survived in the garage just fine last winter so I'm not going to worry about it, YMMV.

I learned from this that cell phone cameras can take certain pictures that pocket cameras cannot.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
            folllow up thoughts:
            I wish there was a battery charge indicator anywhere on the unit. We never know the state of the battery until the it's recharged and how long it took to recharge it.

It's good to read their take on the safety of leaving the battery out in the freezing cold, but I'm reading that the cold they are talking about is Nashville's cold, My trike battery survived in the garage just fine last winter so I'm not going to worry about it, YMMV.

I learned from this that cell phone cameras can take certain pictures that pocket cameras cannot.
            yea, an indicator would be nice. I do remember reading in the manual that the led's on the buttons are supposed to blink three times when the battery is down to 30% capacity. However I've never seen that happen, maybe I haven't run the battery down that far yet.

I also asked about battery and motor lifespans and they said the battery is good for 1500 full charges and they have seen the motors last over two years. I was hoping the motor would last longer than that, right? Typically, if insurance covers the original equipment, do they replace it when it wears out?

Comment

yea, an indicator would be nice. I do remember reading in the manual that the led's on the buttons are supposed to blink three times when the battery is down to 30% capacity. However I've never seen that happen, maybe I haven't run the battery down that far yet.

I also asked about battery and motor lifespans and they said the battery is good for 1500 full charges and they have seen the motors last over two years. I was hoping the motor would last longer than that, right? Typically, if insurance covers the original equipment, do they replace it when it wears out?
              Thanks for pointing out the battery indicator, I'll get back to it later.
              I am sure you misunderstood the motor remark. They got started in business around Sept 2012, just over two years ago. So yes the motors have lasted over two years, *so far*. That's my take on the comment. They are hub motors, have no brushes to wear out and run at low speed and short distances compared to their normal use in the biking industry so I would not worry about a failed motor. I have had a problem at the corded electrical connection site, but they have improved it since then.

Comment

Thanks. Page 12 reads three blinks:70%; two blinks:between 70% and 30%; 1 blink: 30%. The 30% concerns me a bit because that is approaching the level that the battery management circuitry should be turning off the battery to prevent meltdown.

Further down that page it reads to charge the battery to at least 30% before long term storage. I'm sorry, but that is just not enough charge AFAIK. You don't want 100% either, for some reason they say 60% for long term storage.

As long as I've gone into complain mode, I might as well hit one more on battery life. First by 1500 full charges, I think that means a full 29.2 volts down to cutout voltage and then recharged. No one here has ever complained of running out of gas with a SmartDrive. I asked. Still nobody wants to have to replace their battery, especially me. I have several lithium batteries and I have paid out of pocket for each of them. The advice I am taking is that is it not good to charge immediately after use because that stores the battery in a fully charged condition which is not ideal. The ideal state is 60%. They say it is better to charge right before use.

Comment

Most of the time, I fabricate an underseat bracket from aluminum strapping. Doing this makes it easier to remove the unit, prevents wear on the upholstery, and guarantees the user can tuck their feet back on the footplate.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SCI_OTR; 01-24-2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

That's smart. What keeps the battery from sliding forward/rearward during use?

#lookwhosback

Comment

The aluminum strap serves the same purpose as the upholstery, so the battery pack only goes back so far. The back of battery pack rests on top of the camber tube, so it is unlikely to move forward.

#limitedengagement
                      Attached Files

Comment

You're not back for good?
                        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

A former member had it fall off at a busy intersection and the Smart Wheel turned on its side only held on with the electrical cord .. it was troublesome to drag while on its side. This is the second time they'd had trouble with it.

Some of the curb cuts are extremely uneven around me, especially in winter when the concrete and pavement shift. I'm not sure it could handle those bumps.

Anyone have any experience with this? Did it fall off on you?
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

When it fell off a couple times for me while going across a bumpy driveway and grass, it was caused by the bracket not being positioned correctly. The bracket on your friends may no longer be angled where it is supposed to be. Once I fixed the bracket I went across the same spots repeatedly that made it fall off without any issue. In my case I think the bracket rotated after i accidentally put it into outdoor mode while inside and ran into a doorway.
                            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                              A former member had it fall off at a busy intersection and the Smart Wheel turned on its side only held on with the electrical cord .. it was troublesome to drag while on its side. This is the second time they'd had trouble with it.

Some of the curb cuts are extremely uneven around me, especially in winter when the concrete and pavement shift. I'm not sure it could handle those bumps.

Anyone have any experience with this? Did it fall off on you?
                              It did when I flipped over backwards. I think I wrote about that already. I friend was helping me down some stairs and I wrongly thought I could leave it turned on. It sensed motion as we went down the first step and gave the wheelchair a push. Curt held on to the chair, but the wheels kept going so he fell and I went over backwards. For some reason the motor survived, but the handle broke off. They replaced the whole thing on later warranty work.

The first year I had a bit of warranty work with them and each time they have sent me a new mounting bracket and new instructions. It got confusing as not all brackets are exactly the same and instructions seemed to be contradictory between pages. I suspect the brand new brackets and instructions have the bugs worked out. One thing that I remember someone saying is to be sure to have the word Max right side up and the bar face perpendicular or a bit more.

Comment

The clamp needs to be aligned so that the part the drive unit attaches to is perpendicular to the ground. One advantage of the mounting bracket is that the battery unit rests on top of the clamp where the drive unit attaches which may provide a bit of additional security. I should note that their may not be enough room to use the bracket on chairs that have rear seat-to-floor heights <16".

There are a few configurations where the battery unit won't fit at all. Such was the case with this TR3. There wasn't enough room between the seat upholstery and the camber tube. The battery pack can be mounted using the upholstery on a ZR2 or ZRA with identical specs. If anyone is trying to decide whether they want a TR3 or ZR2 and want the ability to use a SmartDrive, the ZR2 will be the best choice if they have any amount of dump and have a STF<16".

Over the past year or so, my focus has been on persuading manufacturers, researchers, and clinicians to reexamine what custom ultralights and complex rehab powerchairs should do for the end user. This a long-term endeavor that has required a significant amount of time and effort. If I succeed, tomorrow's products will provide more functional benefits for the user than is currently the case. Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to devote to CareCure.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X