No announcement yet.

vans- new or used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the MV1, I have heard it was considered for some cities (NY city for one) as an accessible taxi. In short, a "transport van" that the driver would operate the controls to pick up a wheeler passenger.

Comment

The MV-1 was one of the biggest boats ever to be missed. Because it doesn't kneel it's high off the ground and even the longer ramp is too steep. They should have used an under vehicle lift here. On the model we tried the wheelchair user once inside with the door closed could not get out without an AB helper opening the door from outside. Why did they exclude the independent wheelchair driver with this vehicle. As triumph mentions, I think they just developed a wheelchair accessible taxi, I just hope the auto industry doesn't use this as an excuse from never trying again by saying we developed the MV-1 and the disabled community would not buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarcube View Post
        According to what I have read, the person would exit the van backwards with the connections on the wheelchair in the same positions as shown in the video for going up the ramp. So, I guess if she were to reverse the process, she would unhook/unlatch it from the chair after she gets to the bottom of the ramp, then replace it back to its original position after that. If the person chooses to go down the ramp without using the pull assist, I?m not sure what would be done. That is a good question.
        Dang, going down the ramp backwards sounds awfully scary too me.

Comment

would the smart drive assist help get you up a ramp john
          to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
            would the smart drive assist help get you up a ramp john
            it would but I just don't use it much.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

what do you drive Pat, full sized?

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com

Comment

Wanted to say "thanks" for this thread, and all the input. I'm in the market for something now, as my daughter is getting too heavy for me to lift in and out of my jeep. Need to get a minivan with a ramp real soon, and the prices are just outrageous for someone with little means like myself. Think I'll be scouring eBay and Craigslist looking for that ONE that someone is trying to dump cheaply! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

I drive a 2000 Chrysler Limited VMI conversion. 14 years old but still looks new. I looked at new ones recently but didn't like the smaller space behind the front seats. For years I had the back seat out so I could put the handcycle inside. Worked great. I also had a top End rack on the back.

If I were to buy a new one, I think I'd go with the fold out ramp rather than the slide out. The fold down one can be lengthened for a couple of hundred bucks making it much easier to push up. My dream van would be a mini with a small lift much like the VW Colorado. I hate the lowered floor as it kneels to one side. If you park on an angle it can make the ramp extremely steep. I usually have to grab the passengers seat belt to pull up a bit and then grab the strap that's attached to the back of the passenger rear seat. I think it may be part of why the right shoulder is buggered up.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                    LOL, they couldn't convince me to go down backwards. There must be a way to figure out how to attach it to the back of the chair as someone goes down frontwards. I don't know why they didn't think of that.

Comment

so, what is the opinion on which full size van. what about the Nissan nv??
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                        so, what is the opinion on which full size van. what about the Nissan nv??
                        You would need to check clear opening of side door to see if lift will work, same for new Transit Connect. I would love to see Automotive Innovations weigh in. I have been disappointed about how little my local mobility dealers know about the newer vans and how adaptable they are. If you are going to be loading handcycle a lot maybe avoid a rear lift as bike may have to be unloaded to get in or out. If I was to buy right now I would consider Chevy full sized with side doors on driver and passenger side and all wheel drive. The Nissan NV with lower roof profile would also be of great intereest if it is compatible with side lift and 6 way driver and passenger seats.

Comment

Hi,

You and everyone else have been doing really well with this thread.

For me ancientvanmodifier (just over 30 years) i need to see you and everything you'd like the van to do.

We've looked at some of the newer vans, but haven't build one for anyone yet.

They haven't fit there needs.

The rear entry converted Transit Connect fits a very small market and once converted cost pretty much the same as a rear entry Dodge Grand Caravan but offers less room.

btw: Were still dooing Ford E series vans for wheelchair drivers (were building one right now)

I've yet to see a electric sliding door opener (other than a factory installed one) that i liked.

All the "new body style vans" have sliding side doors and while the door way and interior heights are taller, from the floor to the top of the windshield are all pretty much the same.

So if were talking about driving from the wheelchair some sort of lowered floor would need to be done.

I really like the Chevy or GMC full size with AWD and barn doors on both sides of the van.

fwiw: If you wanted to see what something like this looked like we have a 2007 just like this with a mid section lowered floor.

http://www.wheelchairvaninventory.co..._228461355.veh

One of these, with no rear seat and some custom built stuff and you could just about ride a bike into the back of the van.

As always feel free to call with any questions.

Jim
                          Jim, MA, MMET
                          Bridgewater, MA

Comment

jim,
                            thx for reply. I will drive from drivers seat. I need 6 way power seat, lift and standard hand control. the mini vans I hear can be a bitch for a quad with no triceps to go up. yes im looking for lots of room for our gear. im n ohio so rear wheel drive is not good. the dodge power master has my interest.

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
                            Hi,

You and everyone else have been doing really well with this thread.

For me ancientvanmodifier (just over 30 years) i need to see you and everything you'd like the van to do.

We've looked at some of the newer vans, but haven't build one for anyone yet.

They haven't fit there needs.

The rear entry converted Transit Connect fits a very small market and once converted cost pretty much the same as a rear entry Dodge Grand Caravan but offers less room.

btw: Were still dooing Ford E series vans for wheelchair drivers (were building one right now)

I've yet to see a electric sliding door opener (other than a factory installed one) that i liked.

All the "new body style vans" have sliding side doors and while the door way and interior heights are taller, from the floor to the top of the windshield are all pretty much the same.

So if were talking about driving from the wheelchair some sort of lowered floor would need to be done.

I really like the Chevy or GMC full size with AWD and barn doors on both sides of the van.

fwiw: If you wanted to see what something like this looked like we have a 2007 just like this with a mid section lowered floor.

http://www.wheelchairvaninventory.co..._228461355.veh

One of these, with no rear seat and some custom built stuff and you could just about ride a bike into the back of the van.

As always feel free to call with any questions.

Jim
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com

Comment

Automotive Innovations, do the Nissan with low profile roof and new Transit Connect with low roof have large enough clear opening at sliding door to allow installation and use of a Braun TriFold platform lift? I'm a para and think I could open and close the standard sliding door w/o modification although I would have some question about reaching the door handle from the inside around the folded lift. If this would be a problem I would consider an under vehicle lift. I am assuming that neither the Nissan or Transit Connect present problems with installation of 6 way pwr seats at driver and passenger positions.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                                Automotive Innovations, do the Nissan with low profile roof and new Transit Connect with low roof have large enough clear opening at sliding door to allow installation and use of a Braun TriFold platform lift? I'm a para and think I could open and close the standard sliding door w/o modification although I would have some question about reaching the door handle from the inside around the folded lift. If this would be a problem I would consider an under vehicle lift. I am assuming that neither the Nissan or Transit Connect present problems with installation of 6 way pwr seats at driver and passenger positions.
                                the Nissan nv ancient?
                                Bike-on.com rep
                                John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                                X