Wheelchair cushion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelchair cushion?

Does anyone have any suggestions on firm/very firm, thin wheelchair cushion? I use Supacor Stimulite spor. I pay for the things out-of-pocket. Given that, they only last maybe +/- 6 months before the firmness is completely shot. I sit on the thing probably 80+% of the day. The last one I got I decided to only wash it by hand. Even routine wash the cushion, but not over wash. Chair is strap seat. There is a solid board cut to near cushion size that is inserted into the cushion cover for firmness. Board, my guess, reduces the life of the cushion.

How about VicAir by Comfort Company. The Adjuster Low Profile is a 2" thick; I use the 3.5" thick Adjuster. An incontinence liner is available. The air cells last indefinately. My Adjuster is super comfortable (I'm incomplete with sensation).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

rlmtrhmiles,

Regarding "... suggestions on firm/very firm, thin wheelchair cushion? I use Supacor Stimulite spor. ..." - the Supracor Stimulite Sport is among the firmest annd thinnest wheelchair cushions available, with the Stimulite Slimline cushion (without the XS option) being similar.
      Last edited by Jim; 01-05-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

chas, I will check what you are saying. I have looked and looked and looked. Wc, I have had 4 Sports. Yes very firm. I actually love the thing when it is new, but that firmness degrades so fast. That was why I was trying to explain the situation. A Sport would be just fine if it lasted longer than 6 months. That was why I was trying to explain entire situation. I do want firm and thin. Was even thinking what would happen if I spent the $$$ and replaced the "strap" seat with solid? This solid would be thin so no raise in height. I do not like to "play" around with the chair and loosen things. I like to keep it as solid as possible.

Comment

I did a quick look. I will look more in detail. Never ran into this doing searches.

Comment

In your opinion, is the Slimline firmer than the Sport? Do you used a Slimline? What kind of life do you get from it?

Originally posted by WC_Sage View Post
            rlmtrhmiles,

Regarding "... suggestions on firm/very firm, thin wheelchair cushion? I use Supacor Stimulite spor. ..." - the Supracor Stimulite Sport is among the firmest annd thinnest wheelchair cushions available, with the Stimulite Slimline cushion (without the XS option) being similar.

Comment

I've used every cushion they make for 20 yrs now as a supracor athlete and a dealer, imo the sport is firmest. when it starts getting soft do you wash it? washing it "fluffs" them back up. this really helps.

Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
              In your opinion, is the Slimline firmer than the Sport? Do you used a Slimline? What kind of life do you get from it?
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I would not consider vicair cushions firm. Especially since the air cells shift around, I have to position my cushion before I sit down and sometimes moving around (I shift my weight constantly) causes them to shift and I have to lean to one side and punch the cushion to adjust the cells back where I want them. I'll be trying a stimulite soon and hope it's as comfortable for me so I don't have to deal with the shifting.
                Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

This time with this cushion it is hand washed maybe every 6 weeks. Yes, the washing does seem to regenerate life. Does seem all of the regeneration is gone. Very little, if any, fluffing back up.

Comment

I had an air cushion on an old chair. I blew that cushion up, putting too much air in it. Seriously doubt I would go to air again.

Comment

This maybe a tough question. Does anyone think if I removed the wood insert in the cover, changed seat from strap to solid add any additional life to cushion. Then only thing rubbing against cushion would be its cover, not the wood insert.

Comment

Other tricky thing with the Sport cushion is, you BETTER make sure you are positioned correctly as you are sitting on it and "breaking it in." If that breaking in goes wrong, may as well toss cushion into trash.

Comment

This maybe a tough question. Does anyone think if I removed the wood insert in the cover, changed seat from strap to solid add any additional life to cushion. Then only thing rubbing against cushion would be its cover, not the wood insert.
                          yes, imo this would slow wear down. this is what I have always done. I always have 2 supracors in rotation. alternate them. hope this helps.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com
                          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I've talked to the people at Supracor a few times. They are very helpful. Why don't you give them a call 1.800.787.7226? I think what you say makes sense, in fact just removing the wood and keeping the strap sling seat the way it is may be best.
                            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

rlmtrhmiles,

Regarding "... is the Slimline firmer than the Sport?" - the Sport model is slightly more firm than the Slimline model. The difference; however, is not great.

Comment

Working...
                              X