The welding of Offcarr Quasar wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
    You can totally TIG. There are numerous companies that make hand dials on the torch to control amperage. http://www.ckworldwide.com/amperage_controls.htm
    I have a Weldcraft, http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...crafttorch.jpg
    SWEET!!! Always imagined this was a deal-breaker for us non-walkers. Fucking A, I'm learning to weld!

Comment

Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
      You can totally TIG. There are numerous companies that make hand dials on the torch to control amperage. http://www.ckworldwide.com/amperage_controls.htm
      I have a Weldcraft, http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...crafttorch.jpg
      I've been told, but not seen it myself, there is a Tig machine that doesn't use the pedal or thumb dial. It senses what's needed and adjusts itself. Might look for that.

Comment

No heat treat after aluminum weld? This will reduce the T6 aluminum to T4 strength, is it safe enough?
        Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

There's something about welding.

It's funny how certain topics strike a nerve, in this case in a positive way. I got several college degrees, spent many years as an engineer, managed small and large manufacturing operations, and through it all, I admired the craftsmen. My machine shop skills were pretty good, both from real work when I was young and from making custom one-off sailboat parts for myself later in life. After a day of meetings straight out of "Dilbert", an evening of making chips and something real was gratifying. But one skill that eluded me was welding. I did them all: gas, stick, MIG and TIG. I sucked at everything. I envied the polished look that our best TIG welder would create on the food-grade equipment. It seemed like magic. Of course, he had thousands of hours under the hood and I could count mine on the fingers of one hand.

After I retired, I bought a small wire-feed unit and set about home projects--carts, lawn art, stairs and decks. I was just getting my welds functionally sufficient (still not very pretty) when I broke my neck mountain biking. Little hand function=End of welding.

So when I see a thread like this, extolling the virtues of of a craftsman/artisan/welder (at least in TiLite's case) it makes me feel good, a bit wistful but still good.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
            . . . So when I see a thread like this, extolling the virtues of of a craftsman/artisan/welder (at least in TiLite's case) it makes me feel good, a bit wistful but still good.
            x2
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Unfortunately, my injury is T12. Give me some steel, and I'll scare you with what I'll make with my MIG welder, chop saw, and drill press!

Aluminum beckons, but I got rid of my lathe-not enough space and no TIG.
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

To the welders: how many cushions have you popped with weld-spatter?

Me, only one gel cushion, and I had one melt a hole in my leg-bag tubing-boy, that laytex really stinks when it burns!
                69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                  To the welders: how many cushions have you popped with weld-spatter?

Me, only one gel cushion, and I had one melt a hole in my leg-bag tubing-boy, that laytex really stinks when it burns!
                  This is why you need to learn TIG! No spattering. I'll try to take some pictures of my setup at the house this weekend. I have my welding table on a cart at a height that suits me. I lean on my elbows and have a piece of PVC pipe on the table edge to create a slick elbow travel surface as I move along the welds. I do have some weld-x arm sleeves but have still burned the undersides of my arms on occasion. I can't feel hot/cold and have diminished sensation on the undersides of my arms. Toasted my forearm once after welding a crack together on an outboard, I moved it after I was done and didn't give it enough time to cool. Two days later someone at work asked me what I did to my arm and I was like wtf? Didn't even notice it. Now sawdust on parts of my cushion is a different story...

Comment

Working...
                  X