Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement Batteries for Permobil C500 - Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Batteries for Permobil C500 - Suggestions?

Just trying to find the best battery and price for the replacement batteries for a Permobil C500. This is Danny's "spare" chair, which he actually does use every day after he gets home. When he had to replace them in his last Permobil several years ago he got them at Sears, but they no longer carry these type of batteries.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Here's the best price I've found for MK gel batteries: https://www.caremedicalsource.com/Sh...ed-Gel-Battery

MK's are about the best you can get, it doesn't pay to buy the cheaper batteries because they don't last as long. I'm not sure if your chair uses group 24 but they also sell other sizes.

Comment

Thanks Rusty - we were hoping to get BOTH of them for less than $200! This is the first time the batteries have needed to be replaced in 6 years.

Comment

Nicki,

Good luck finding a pair of batteries (even brand X ones) for less than $200.00 as that is a very good price for MK gel's. Batteries were a lot cheaper 6 years ago!

Comment

NAPA Auto Parts actually was sufficient for our purposes . . . a little over $100 for two. We will take our chances with the NAPA brand. They were very helpful and said they sell these all the time. Thanks for the info!

Comment

The higher the Amp hour the better if they will fit. That is an excellent price for 73.6 am/h. Pretty heavy chair, definitely need group 24.
            C 5/6 Comp.
            No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Nickib View Post
              Thanks Rusty - we were hoping to get BOTH of them for less than $200! This is the first time the batteries have needed to be replaced in 6 years.
              Since this is for a "spare" chair you might check with your DME. He might cut you a deal, have some seconds/blemished stock or returned stock that checked out OK or mismatched pair due to replacements. Just be sure to get warranty.
              Also, you might check local battery distribution center. Again, blemished or returned stock that has a warranty.

Comment

Any suggestions for keeping a spare chair's batteries to top condition?

Comment

I am going to put my Frontier X5 in storage and I think that we'll charge the batteries then disconnect them. No clue if they will still be good or how long they will last.

I have 2 back-up powerchairs and charge the batteries for 24 hrs the first day of the month. My Omegatrac batteries were 5 years old when I had to give it away.
                  Last edited by forestranger52; 16 Nov 2014, 8:13 PM.
                  C 5/6 Comp.
                  No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

@ Wes,

If you're going to leave them hooked up it would probably be best to charge them once a week, otherwise, once a month will probably suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                      Here's the best price I've found for MK gel batteries: https://www.caremedicalsource.com/Sh...ed-Gel-Battery

MK's are about the best you can get, it doesn't pay to buy the cheaper batteries because they don't last as long. I'm not sure if your chair uses group 24 but they also sell other sizes.
                      RustyJames - Thank you SO MUCH for the link above! They indeed were the best price for these batteries and free shipping - yeah! Just as an update to the thread . . . the first batteries ($54/each) wouldn't fit, they were too small. So, they ordered a different one (AVM Brand - $157 each) with the terminal on the side. Yeah, we tried to replace them today and naturally they don't fit in the space due to the contour of the cavity in the chair where they go. So - off to Care Medical Source we went and we are going to order them via phone tomorrow morning. Unfortunately for some reason the site won't let us either sign up or log on. We keep getting the "log-in failed" when we try to log in, and when we try to sign up it says "account already exists" but there does not appear to be a way to retrieve the password, even though my husband doesn't think he ever signed up with them in the past! Hopefully that is the only "glitch" in the process. Thank you again for the suggestion!

Comment

Nicki, try calling them if you can't get anywhere online. Good luck with them and try not to run them down too low between charges, that way they'll last a long time.

Comment

Yeah, I think the mistake we made was charging them too often - which also causes them to not last as long. Old habits die hard . . . plugging in nightly not a good thing when you don't use it all day but just morning before work and evening after work. We will definitely be more careful this time!

One thing I accidentally ran across was another website that advertises MK batteries . . . http://www.replaceupsbattery.com/GEL-Batteries/MK-Battery-M24-SLD-G-FT-Pure-GEL-Replacement-Battery/

Anyone have any thoughts on that website???

Comment

Those are uninterrupted power supply type batteries typically used for computer/server systems. I'm not sure about using them in a Powerchair. But you can get all the info over at wheelchairdriver.com, that's the go to site for all things powerchair, especially when it relates to batteries.

Comment

Thanks again Rustyjames. Danny didn't have much luck in the online chat with the replace UPS battery place, so we had already decided to NOT go with them. He is going to call Care Medical Source tomorrow. I will give him the link to wheelchairdriver.com also.

Love this community! God Bless you!

Comment

Working...
                              X