Choosing my second chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing my second chair

Hello I wanted to introduce myself since I've been lurking the forum for a while now but finally decided to join. I'm looking to get my second chair and would greatly appreciate any feedback and suggestions the community might like to give. I'm currently sitting in my quickie q7 and would like to improve things like my posture since I feel like my tail bone is always more forward instead of straight up and down if that makes sense. I also need to constantly scoot myself back to the back of my chair. When I am all the way back I have approximately 1 finger between the back of my knee and my cushion but when I have slid forward I have more like 3 and that has become my default sitting position. I'm currently trying to decided between the tilite tr/zr or an icon and wanted to know some pros and con's of each. I currently have 24' wheels but plan to step up to 25' for the greater variety of tires available since I plan to put wider tires on so I can go hiking in Az and navigate the gravel we have everywhere instead of grass. I'm also approx 5'10 and 145 lbs. My seat is 16x18 and those are about the only measurements I really know of my current chair. I plan to post a few pictures of myself sitting in the chair later today and would like suggestions on measurements that might help my new chair fit me better since from what I've read on this forum there are very knowledgeable members on this forum. Well I'm off to phoenix international raceway for the sprint cup race so everyone have a great day and I look forward to speaking with everyone

Hopefully others more knowledgable will chime in here, but one measurement to consider is "dump" if you haven't already. That is, getting the rear seat-to-floor measurement lower than the front seat-to-floor measurement. This allows one to tuck their rear into the chair seat, and I've seen it said, take pressure off one's rear and more on one's thigh. I'm not sure it's wise to be sitting straight up as you seem to mention. Is your current seat 16" wide or 18" wide? You would want to make sure you have the space you desire behind the knee if you go with a dump. Look at the height of your wheelchair cushion when selecting the back height of the chair.
    Going hiking sounds great! Be sure to consider front caster size, or better yet, get a FreeWheel after you get the chair (as you'll need to provide footrest measurement for proper fit). With the FreeWheel I don't think it matters the size of your casters as they will be raised up.
    The FW will allow you to conquer rough terrain/dirt paths.
    Best of luck!

Comment

Actually, the more dump you have, the MORE pressure on your ischiums and the LESS on your posterior thighs. Dump will help many with sitting balance and help to prevent sliding forward and sacral sitting though. Just be sure that you are using a properly fit cushion and being even more consistent in doing your weight shifts when sitting so that you don't have ischial skin problems with increased dump. You might want to get a good seating evaluation at a good rehabilitation center (such as Barrows in Phoenix, or Good Sam) to help you check the effects that changes like this will cause for your skin (using a computerized interface seating evaluation device).

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

One of the critical things for your early chairs is to work with a good seating clinician - there are some things that are "counter-intuitive" (like how dump affects pressure). Anecdotal advice from other wheelchair riders can be really helpful, but clinical advice has a good solid foundation in science.

Make sure that you trial any chair that you're thinking about buying, and trial as many as you can.

Comment

I had the same problem with my tailbone sliding forward. I have a Roho Hybrid Elite seat cushion with stiff contoured foam forward and an air cushion toward the rear. I thought that soft pocket of the air cushion would let me settle into it and help prevent me from sliding forward but not so successfully. So my theory was that the chair back (an ADI) extended too low for me to scoot my butt underneath it. I could not raise it because any pressure on my shoulder blades caused a lot of pain. So I bought a shorter back. I got a JAVA from Ride Designs which I like a lot, but other brands could accomplish the same thing. Now, when I scoot my butt back, it goes under the backrest a little and when I then sit up straighter I don't slide forward and it puts a little concave curve in my spine, or at least reduces the curve the other direction.
          I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a new chair, but trying a new back and maybe a new seat cushion are cheap experiments to learn about what works. If you find components you like, you can always use them on the new chair.

Comment

I am currently using a roho high profile 4" single compartment cushion and its been pretty good at avoiding pressure sores and skin breakdown. Thanks for the seating evaluation idea since I definitely think this would be a great place to start. One thing I did want to ask was why rsh (rear seat height I believe) being as low as possible is so desirable to everyone here. I also plan to be adding the freewheel to the mix and I'm super excited to try one out. How does one go about demoing a chair? To answer the question about the width of my seat it is 16". Thanks for so much info even already and I should have pics up in a few

Comment

Comment

It looks as though the length of your seat may be too long. I looked just like you in my old chair. I shaved a couple inches off the length and got it an inch smaller in width so it fit better and have not slid forward since!

Comment

As for chairs that would be best, that is very dependent on you and your situation and ability level. I have an aero t titanium and it is a good chair. I loved the icon when I demoed it because it allowed me to sit longer with less pain. I went with the tilite because the shape and weight allowed me to load it myself. In my case though I previously fractured the greater tuberosity (ball of the socket) of my shoulder. So as you can probably see from my post you need to decide what is most important in a chair for you and get a demo of each one you can to make sure it is the best option for you.

Comment

I think you should compare your posture in picture two with others seated in their chairs. I think all the way seated back, you are supposed to have the three finger space, not when slumped forward.
                    Demoing is done through the DME's for what it's worth. There is a world of difference between a zr and an ICON though. A zr is fixed, nearly no changes, so you won't demo the chair you get. You could demo a different Tilite chair with maybe close to what you want, but an adjustable chair is a better choice for a first Tilite. The Icon is another matter. It is in a class by itself. If you can find someone to let you try it, and like it, that is enough to know to purchase, since everything on it seems to be adjustable.
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Can you post a side shot of your chair without you in it? Your back angle might be a bit too reclined.

Comment

Originally posted by ace8hd View Post
                        . . . One thing I did want to ask was why rsh (rear seat height I believe) being as low as possible is so desirable to everyone here. . . .
                        RSH is actually set according to a research paper (attached) that determined the best elbow-angle range for optimal pushing (see highlight on page six of attachment). Because determining elbow angle is a bit tricking, clinicians identified a rule of thumb that works pretty well: when seated properly, and arms hanging down naturally, middle finger tips should touch the axle centers.

Seat-Height propulsion effects highlighted.pdf

Your RSH actually appears slightly low.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3
                        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                        <
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I'd agree thathat I feel my chair back is too reclined and when I'm sitting at my desk I normall
                          y move it forward to the next setting but I am to unstable to wheel around in that position.

Comment

Working...
                          X