How do you handle pills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
    I use two Pharmadose by Ezy Dose. They have great doors. Operation on youtube.

edit: Oh, you, too.
    They are the best. Did you see the giant ones at bluffcity?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I don't take many meds. but the easiest way that I have found is to use the easy open lids and then raise the bottle to my mouth as if taking a drink and feeling for one with my tongue, doing this one med at a time. My hands spasm too much on top of having no finger function to try and pick up and separate.

Comment

I have a plastic week-long, 7-day dispenser, that I use. It is broken down into 4 times for each day. Morning, noon, evening and bed. Essentially 28 different times. Sunday-Saturday. It ends up empty at the end of each Saturday. When getting in bed, Saturday evening, then refill for the following week. At refill time, I take out Sunday's and set on counter for following morning. It works really easy. I think my mother got it for me at CVS. It may take a short time to get used to, but, for me, really works well. I tale the current day noon and evening and set on counter where is visible so I know to take them. I even have different pills at different times. I even put the over-the counter in there.

Comment

This is pretty much how I do it. Early on I had a friend cut a hole in each of my pill bottles plastic caps so I could just pick it up and shake what ever I needed out without dealing with the cap.

Originally posted by Brent K View Post
          I don't take many meds. but the easiest way that I have found is to use the easy open lids and then raise the bottle to my mouth as if taking a drink and feeling for one with my tongue, doing this one med at a time. My hands spasm too much on top of having no finger function to try and pick up and separate.
          ^^(A)^^

Comment

Originally posted by darty View Post
            This is pretty much how I do it. Early on I had a friend cut a hole in each of my pill bottles plastic caps so I could just pick it up and shake what ever I needed out without dealing with the cap.
            Just keep in mind that some medications deteriorate if exposed to the air for long periods, esp. if the air is damp. Don't keep your meds in the bathroom for this reason. Hopefully you also do not have any animals or small children in your home who could get into your meds this way.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I used to use a big 28 day 4x a day dispenser but the thing was huge and I hated it. It wasn't the kind where the individual ones popped out so a pain when you weren't home. As for what dispensors I use now, I have a 7 day one box per day one that I keep my 6 am meds in. 6 am is the time when I take the most meds, and some of them are ones that would be dangerous if I took twice so there's no mix up with being half asleep and not being able to remember if my alarm went off and I took them or not. Then a large vitamin "box" with multiple compartments that I fill up with the rest of my meds, the largest compartment has more than one type of med in it. This one I carry around with me in my wheelchair bag or cushion bag along with alarms on my phone every 4 hours for meds. (recently in the hospital the Dr asked me baffled why I wanted to be woken up at 2 am and 4 am for my pain meds. I said because if I'm woken up I take them and go back to sleep. Without them, I wake up in extreme pain and there's no going back to sleep since it throws me off my schedule and takes a while to get the pain back down. So he puts ONE of my meds to wake me up, the other one still PRN and I keep waking up around 3 am and not going back to sleep before they come back at 6-7 for vitals. I nearly left AMA. Another Dr there lectured me that I shouldn't be taking pain meds period, that no one should use them for long term and he recommends I get off them!)
              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                I saw this vacuum pen that I might try out to handle pills. See it on youtube. It's a bit small (but much larger than a pill), it's inexpensive, and worth a try I think
                It arrived today--love that two-day delivery from Amazon Prime. It was worth $6.91 to find out, but it didn't work for me. It would pick up some pills, best with glossy tablets, but held those for only a few seconds. Tablets with matte finishes, caplets and capsules worked less well. Even the tablets I call glossy did not have a completely slick finish, so it's possible certain pills would fare better.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
                  It arrived today--love that two-day delivery from Amazon Prime. It was worth $6.91 to find out, but it didn't work for me. It would pick up some pills, best with glossy tablets, but held those for only a few seconds. Tablets with matte finishes, caplets and capsules worked less well. Even the tablets I call glossy did not have a completely slick finish, so it's possible certain pills would fare better.

Thank you very much for testing it and posting your review
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3
                  Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                  I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                  <
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I just ordered these reverse action tweezers to see if they work. (I don't have Amazon Prime, so it may be awhile before they arrive.)
                    Chas
                    TiLite TR3
                    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                    <
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

The tweezers work well for me. I have enough grip to squeeze them and grab a pill. Then the reverse grip holds the various pill shapes well until I squeeze again.
                      Chas
                      TiLite TR3

<
                      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Great, sounds like your set. If not, check out http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Section-Vi...item3cec4e70af
                        I use two of these, 1 for am meds & 1 for pm. I have my aid fill each section as needed and I pour pill into my mouth as needed. Thing is, the container had to be modified as it was very hard to turn at first. I had someone remove the plastic insert under the cover and file down the top edge of the container a bit. Then attached a Velcro strip to the top which helps w/picking up container & turning the top. Hope this helps.
                        Dan G. in CT

Comment

Interesting product and modification. Thanks for the info
                          Chas
                          TiLite TR3

<
                          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                          X