Question regarding Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield catheter coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield catheter coverage

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone on the site may be a federal government employee with Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage who know about coverage of catheters. I am about to accept an offer for employment but need to try to figure this out first. I currently work for the state of CT and have Anthem BCBS and they pay 100% for my catheters and I use a closed system cath which are pretty pricey. If anyone has first hand info on the coverage I would appreciate it. I have already checked out the website but it is not specific on the DME coverage. Thanks.
    Ride It Like You Stole It!

Might want to call UTI. I don't use closed caths but they bill FedBlue and accept their payment as full. I don't pay a dime.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

Many insurances use the Medicare criteria for payment for closed system intermittent catheters. You will most likely need a letter of justification for this from your physician. Here are the criteria:

IC using a sterile (closed system, cath tray, etc.) intermittent catheter is covered when the user meets one of the following criteria:
      1) Residents of a nursing facility.
      2) Immuno-suppressed patients such as those with AIDS or on cancer chemotherapy.
      3) Documented vesico-ureteral reflux.
      4) Pregnant, spinal cord injured patients.
      5) Patients with two or more documented UTI/year.

The UTIs would need to be true, febrile UTIs, not just positive urine cultures (colonization).

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks. That is what I had to do originally when I had to get coverage through the Anthem plan that I have now and they have covered ever since. I would assume it should be rather easy with a new plan especially if I select BCBS which is the same company.

Comment

Phrased differently, I have Fed BC/BS and get my supplies from UTI Medical. They accept the payment from Fed BC/BS and it doesn't cost me any additional out of pocket expenses. The down side to Fed BC/BS will be dealing with CareCentrix for DME which has been nothing but nightmare.
          "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

Thanks Quad. The caths are the biggest factor for me because monthly they run about $850.

Comment

I am a federal employee and I have the family blue cross and blue shield code 105. I get my catheters from Summit Medical Supply out of New York. I don't pay a penny for my catheters after I have met my $250.00 yearly out of pocket deductible as the company takes whatever BC&BS pay as payment in full. Just Google Summit Medical Supply and check them out. They run the claim through the state of New York BC&BS and call you every month to see if your ready for your next order. I get 200 catheters a month from them. I have had nothing but great luck with them and would recommend them to anyone looking for a new medical supplier

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X