hand rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand rims

I'm tired of vinyl coated hand rims; Two sets have peeled something awful! I can't afford the real expensive ones or don't want anything too "tacky" feeling. I'm considering foam. Does anyone know if the foam is tough like the covering on swing-away arm rests or is it soft, fragile foam like a Nerf ball? I think I'd like it if it were like my arm rests, which is also the covering I have on my foot rest. Thanks all!

I use sparkle foam, but they eventually peel that's unavoidable. They're not good with wet hands or wet weather either but the grip is great.

Comment

You may find that more expensive but more durable covered rims are actually less expensive over their life cycle. My expensive Q-grips are in great shape at twice the life of the preceeding vinyl coated rims. At this rate of damage, I see no reason they should not last at least 3-4 times as long as the vinyl coated rims.

Comment

Thanks WHEELAS416 and endo_aftermath for responding. You could have a point, "endo" about cost. It would still be nice to have an answer about whether the "foam" I "see" is rugged like my swing-away arm rests. They and my footrests are years old and show no wear! "Somebody" should make push rims out of THAT if they haven't already.

Comment

I just saw these:

http://www.bbraver.com/

http://vimeo.com/106565028

Edited to add:

http://carbolife.de/en/hand-rim-curve-grip-l
          Last edited by JeffAdams; 21 Sep 2014, 9:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot! The bbraver ones look particularly interesting, and what a great story! Trying to find out more.
            Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post

Comment

Hi, I live in the same province (Quebec) as the bbraver company and I made contact with the owner. I will report here as soon as I can get my hands on a pair to try.
              Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

That would be GREAT! Thanks, JGNI!

Comment

I'm going to RehaCare in Germany (trade show) this weekend, so I'll likely get to see some in person too - will update when possible.

Comment

Yes Jeff, Marco Pilotto is already in D?sseldorf.

Comment

Do you know if he has a booth? I sent him a message yesterday - I'm only going to be there for Friday and Saturday, but his stuff is definitely one of the products I'd like to look at if I can.

Comment

Do we have any idea how much these would cost (ballpark), or even if we can get them here (US)? It IS exciting that you all will be able to actually SEE them!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
                          Do you know if he has a booth? I sent him a message yesterday - I'm only going to be there for Friday and Saturday, but his stuff is definitely one of the products I'd like to look at if I can.
                          Still waiting for his answer, I will put you in touch as soon as I get a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                            Do we have any idea how much these would cost (ballpark), or even if we can get them here (US)? It IS exciting that you all will be able to actually SEE them!
                            I am pretty sure they ship anywhere. The website says 560$CAD for a pair (about 510$ US) plus shipping I guess. Quite pricey but since the website says Eco-friendly, I would not be surprised (I could be wrong) that you can just change the grippy part when it is not good anymore, which should be much less and worth the initial cost in the long run.

Comment

I'm pretty excited about these - my hands are so beat up from 20+ years of beating on racing chair wheels, that these could be a really great option for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X