Adaptive Equipment that Doesn't Exist for Spinal Cord Injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaptive Equipment that Doesn't Exist for Spinal Cord Injury

I have to make an adaptive equipment for a spinal cord injury for a complete C7. But I have to make something that does NOT exist yet.

I am at a complete loss. It has to help for meal prep, or face self care.

Any ideas?

As a C-7 male quad there is nothing I need for shaving or washing my face. For cooking I could use an onion peeler. Getting those slippery dry skins off is a challenge. I have seen apple peelers but they do not work with onions. I assume this is an engineering or O.T. project.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Of what kind of device/equipment are you thinking? I am C7 and T7 incomplete by TM/MS. I use the microwave to prepare frozen foods. I have limited finger function and intention tremors, but I manage (I can grip). I have also created or adapted many devices to assist me. I avoid using sharp tools.

I'd love to help. Again, with what specifically do you want help? What foods do you want to prepare & eat?
      Chas
      TiLite TR3
      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
      <
      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Hot meal and Cold meal prep. Anything that could assist in making soup, biscuits, or pouring water from a pitcher, setting the table, handling utensils, using the microwave, stove and oven.

Comment

or anything to help make a sandwhich (such as peanut butter and jelly).

Comment

Is this to fulfill an actual need or for a class project?

Comment

Can you hold and manipulate a table knife? Spreadable food is typically much friendlier at room temperature Check your food labels to see what can be left out of the fridge. Peanut butter is soooo much easier to spread at room temp!!

Soup = canned, can opener (or tabbed can, pop tab with spoon) and microwave safe bowl.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2658143

I avoid stove/oven use, sorry, no help there.
              Locate microwave low enough to reach in easily from your chair. Can you operate the controls and door if they're within reach? I often use a cafeteria tray on my lap to transport food so my hands are free.
              Biscuits
              Quad Cuff if you cannot grip.
              Chas
              TiLite TR3
              I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
              <
              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                Is this to fulfill an actual need or for a class project?
                Thanks for this question . . . I forgot to filter
                Chas
                TiLite TR3

<
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by Stacia View Post
                  I have to make an adaptive equipment for a spinal cord injury for a complete C7. But I have to make something that does NOT exist yet.

I am at a complete loss. It has to help for meal prep, or face self care.

Any ideas?
                  Is this a school assignment? Are you limited to only those functional areas? Are you an OT student? Rehab engineering student??

If you are not limited, then a big need in this area is for a device to insert and use and Enemeez (mini-enema).

I really can't think of anything for cooking or grooming for a C7 that does not already exist. Many people at that level of injury don't use any adaptive equipment for those functions at all. Now if you are talking C6, that might be different. Does grooming include make-up application for a female? Eye liner and mascera can be a challenge.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

It's a school assignment, i am an OT student.

Grooming would be applying deodorant, shaving the face, combing hair and brushing teeth.

It's suppose to be for a "patient" with a C7 complete SCI, and I have to focus on meal prep and grooming.

I was thinking of something to open a can easier, but other than that I am stuck.

Comment

Pretty much anyone with a C7 injury can operate an electric can opener of various designs. I know there has been some discussion about wine bottle openers...how about that? Grooming does include make-up application for women (see UDS FIM guidelines that clearly state it includes this).

You are not going to find a lot of "patients" here...but you will find a lot of people who have C7 (and other) spinal cord injuries. In my experience, people with a C7 injury often are taught the use of a lot of adaptive equipment for these things when in rehab, and even issued equipment (which exists in vast quantities), but a year post injury most have discarded the equipment and figured out compensatory techniques for these activities that don't require special equipment any more.

Have you discussed with your instructor??

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacia View Post
                        It's a school assignment, i am an OT student.
                        Cool. As KLD mentioned, a lot of us don't rely on adaptive equipment long-term. OT is partially about problem-solving. Personally, for meal prep, one of the most precarious things I deal with is dumping liquid contents out of a sauce pan or frying pan after cooking (think dumping pasta into a colander, etc). Figure out something to make that easier for people with limited grip and/or no grip (or tenodesis).

I'd steer your focus toward the universal design side of things... read up on OXO, for example: http://www.oxo.com/UniversalDesign.aspx

(I have a C6/7 injury & my wife is an OT)

Comment

What's really lacking IMO is a decent stowable tray. Something that could fold out from the armrest like an airline seat tray, or spread like a Japanese fan would help greatly with feeding and food prep. Placing things in the lap can be dangerous. My wife got second degree burns on her legs just trying to move a cup of coffee. She's always spilling in her lap (drowned the cell phone once). But she doesn't want a cup holder because she thinks it will be in the way of the joystick or limit pulling up to a table or the bathroom sink. Swing away mounts limit ability to go through doorways. She doesn't want to have to move the joystick and a cup holder all the time.
                          If I had the time, and access to a CNC router, I'd build a Japanese fan style tray.

Comment

Stacia,
                            KLD is correct that a C-7 quad has little need for many of the grooming and food prep adaptive devices. I have a C-5/6 injury and wish I could have the extra dexterity a C-7 has.

Are you a Pinterest user? If so, you will find 100s, if not more, OT Pinterest pages that have pictures and links to every adaptive device you can think of.

I have been collecting pins that you may be interested in that apply to grooming, dining, cooking and other categories that accommodate a disability. This link should take you there -http://www.pinterest.com/adaptEVOLVE/dexterity-cooking/ - you'll find devices that make it easier to pour and a cutting board that will hold slices of bread in place to make for easy spreading.

On this page, http://www.pinterest.com/adaptEVOLVE/your-body/, there are pins that depict the nerve damage associated with the levels of injury. Lots of spinal cord injury graphic representations that will help you in the learning process.

You will be led to many OT Pin Pages I have pinned from where you can learn even more.

Good luck and have fun pinning.
                            Last edited by Broken Doll; 09-20-2014, 01:00 AM. Reason: error

Comment

I vote for an ice cream scoop that scoops by itself, or at least makes scooping hard ice cream really easy.
                              C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Working...
                              X