Can the SmartDrive be used on an Icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the SmartDrive be used on an Icon?

Does anyone know if Icon has mad an attachment or if Max Mobility has?

I think icon has maybe Jeff will ring in on this

Comment

Thank you. I think Jeff would know best but I am worried he may be concerned about posting an Icon specific answer. I don't know if there's a more proper forum for me to put the question in.

Originally posted by randomryan007 View Post
      I think icon has maybe Jeff will ring in on this

Comment

Regarding "Can the SmartDrive be used on an Icon?" - no.

However, Jeff has ordered a Smart Drive for the purpose of producing something that can enable the two products to be used together.

Comment

Great, thank you for the news. I bet he'll come up with something. I hope when he does, he'll post about it on Care Cure.

Originally posted by WC_Sage View Post
          Regarding "Can the SmartDrive be used on an Icon?" - no.

However, Jeff has ordered a Smart Drive for the purpose of producing something that can enable the two products to be used together.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
            I hope when he does, he'll post about it on Care Cure.
            If he feels that he's allowed to on this forum....

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but having seen the number of people contributing to the Equipment forum shrink following the VB-version debacle, and now this issue about manufacturers/dealers having to follow some extremely unclear rules (which were, from memory, started up when there were spammers and many blatant advertisers on this forum pre-VB-Version change, so not really a problem any more), do people want this Equipment forum to shrink into obscurity? Personally I welcome any contributions from manufacturers/dealers - I can choose whether to read their posts or ignore them, and if anyone disagrees with what a manufacturer or dealer is saying, they can post their view too.

(Grommet, just to be clear - none of this is directed at you at all - I've just reached frustration point and felt I needed to vent!)
            Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Yes, there is a specific bracket for the smart drive thats about to be released. There are also those who use the Icon with the smart drive without the bracket. There are a variety of ways to mount the battery depending on the individuals needs, mine will be mounted under the chair, some mount it behind the backrest.
              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                If he feels that he's allowed to on this forum....

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but having seen the number of people contributing to the Equipment forum shrink following the VB-version debacle, and now this issue about manufacturers/dealers having to follow some extremely unclear rules (which were, from memory, started up when there were spammers and many blatant advertisers on this forum pre-VB-Version change, so not really a problem any more), do people want this Equipment forum to shrink into obscurity? Personally I welcome any contributions from manufacturers/dealers - I can choose whether to read their posts or ignore them, and if anyone disagrees with what a manufacturer or dealer is saying, they can post their view too.

(Grommet, just to be clear - none of this is directed at you at all - I've just reached frustration point and felt I needed to vent!)

I hope Jeff feels like he can post here, too. Lots of people using his chairs need his feedback and input, and he needs and wants theirs. Nothing unclear about the rules, either. Unless the distinction between equipment chat and posting advertisements seems fuzzy to you. Doesn't to me. It's new to me, but I'm enjoying my Icon quite a bit. I hope Jeff doesn't disappear.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                  Nothing unclear about the rules, either. Unless the distinction between equipment chat and posting advertisements seems fuzzy to you. Doesn't to me.
                  Perhaps someone could explain it clearly to Jeff (and me) then (not necessarily in this thread). In Jeff's (hopefully not) last post on this forum he says "I still don't understand clearly if I'm ever allowed to post in Equipment."
                  Last edited by Gordy1; 27 Aug 2014, 10:34 PM. Reason: type
                  Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                    Perhaps someone could explain it clearly to Jeff (and me) then (not necessarily in this thread). In Jeff's (hopefully not) last post on this forum he says "I still don't understand clearly if I'm ever allowed to post in Equipment."
                    Curt explains posting guidelines in post 39: http:///forum/showthread.php?232237-...37#post1744137
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I was able to mess around with a SmartDrive at the PVA Summit in Las Vegas this week, and I'd like to tell you what came of it, but what happens in Vegas has to be posted in it's own forum. Just kidding - Curt and SCI-nurse were very helpful We'll be able to mount the in a number of places - the most obvious and simplest would be to hang it off a stabilizer bar (they do a similar thing for folders), or mount it to the bottom of the seat-tube (there is 4 3/4" of clearance, which will be somewhat limiting for curbs and other obstacles), or possibly in a vertical orientation beside the frame - I'm a bit concerned that putting 11 pounds on one side of the frame will cause the chair to pull. We should get our demo in the next week or so, and then it will take us a bit of time to develop the bracket, but it's going to be pretty simple, and use all the existing attachment points so we should have it done quickly - we're still deciding who will make the parts (either Icon or Max-mobility).

Comment

...and I'll get back in my box....

Comment

Jeff, I think you can mount the drive a little low, ( the clamp is designed for 6 inch axle height) if you tilt the flat part off vertical a bit, so that the drive stays attached. But mounting to the side might be like someone pushing on one push handle. Max-Mobility is careful to instruct it be mounted in the center. Mark will know.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Thanks you for your answer. After you experiment and find a solution, please let us know. By the way I notice that if a subject line includes the Icon, the thread fills up fast.

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
                            I was able to mess around with a SmartDrive at the PVA Summit in Las Vegas this week, and I'd like to tell you what came of it, but what happens in Vegas has to be posted in it's own forum. Just kidding - Curt and SCI-nurse were very helpful We'll be able to mount the in a number of places - the most obvious and simplest would be to hang it off a stabilizer bar (they do a similar thing for folders), or mount it to the bottom of the seat-tube (there is 4 3/4" of clearance, which will be somewhat limiting for curbs and other obstacles), or possibly in a vertical orientation beside the frame - I'm a bit concerned that putting 11 pounds on one side of the frame will cause the chair to pull. We should get our demo in the next week or so, and then it will take us a bit of time to develop the bracket, but it's going to be pretty simple, and use all the existing attachment points so we should have it done quickly - we're still deciding who will make the parts (either Icon or Max-mobility).

Comment

@nonoise - sorry, I was unclear - I meant the battery could be mounted on the side above or below the chassis.

The drive wheel must be directly in the center - the bracket will attach directly to our chassis, in the middle, and it will be sandwiched between the chassis and the axle brackets (eg. bullet-proof in terms of rotating).

Comment

Working...
                              X