Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had my evaluation at the rehab center - Tilite ZRA is ORDERED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elarson View Post
    I hope the ZRA makes things easier for you.

Just as a note, if you only need power some of the time, you might want to look into the ZX-1 Power Add-on by Spinergy. Unlike e-Motion wheels, it can be connected and disconnected only for when you need it. There is a ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread and I recently wrote a review about it: ZX-1 Review.
    Thank you! Also something to look into, I've seen it before but wasn't sure how well they worked and was hesitant to think about investing that much money (especially when insurance is fudgy about things) when, in a few years, I might need full time power, you know?
    Not SCI - Progressive neurological disease with secondary dysautonomia.

Comment

Soooooo...

After signing off on my CAD and expecting far more of a wait...

My chair is READY!

I pick it up Friday morning at 9 am - best Christmas present ever!!

Comment

Have you looked into the Smart Drive power assist? I think its a much better option than the emotion wheels personally.
        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
          Have you looked into the Smart Drive power assist? I think its a much better option than the emotion wheels personally.

I haven't, but I actually saw something about it just yesterday and I was intrigued! I'll have to check it out and do some more research.

Comment

I'll have better pictures later, including some of me in it, BUUUUUT... here it is!

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nh752xNuLo1qdtfrso1_1280.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	2658372

It's funny, they changed their wheelchair services building over at the hospital, so the floor is now a very spongy foam with sort of a tacky rubber on top - which meant that when they asked me to push a couple times, I couldn't... at all. Between the tacky tile, my ALREADY struggling with pushing a manual chair, and the solid tires, I started to panic. Of course, then someone helped me out to the tile floor in the hall and let me try there... and it was a million times easier, and a much, much smoother ride than my other one. I'm in love, and I'm so pleased with the colors - and the Jay back is wonderful!

Comment

It looks great!

And btw, fellow dysauto sufferer here. Secondary to progressive genetic disorder.
              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Nice looking chair!
                T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Very Nice!! Congrats
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3
                  Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                  I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                  <
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Congratulations! I really like the White Pearl with Sub-Lime anodized package.
                    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm taking it for its inagural out-of-the-house spin today, and hopefully will be back with more pictures soon! I really love the white and green, too - it's even better looking than I thought it'd be. And the solid tires aren't bad, either!

~Lin, I don't want to say "awesome!" because dys is super annoying, but it's always nice to meet people who get it, you know? Also, I gotta say, though it isn't WHY I started using a chair, I reaped some serious benefits without trying to stand up all the time - my heart is way happier!

Comment

Originally posted by Broadsey View Post
                        I'll have better pictures later, including some of me in it, BUUUUUT... here it is!

[ATTACH]56245[/ATTACH]

It's funny, they changed their wheelchair services building over at the hospital, so the floor is now a very spongy foam with sort of a tacky rubber on top - which meant that when they asked me to push a couple times, I couldn't... at all. Between the tacky tile, my ALREADY struggling with pushing a manual chair, and the solid tires, I started to panic. Of course, then someone helped me out to the tile floor in the hall and let me try there... and it was a million times easier, and a much, much smoother ride than my other one. I'm in love, and I'm so pleased with the colors - and the Jay back is wonderful!
                        Outstanding, Broadsey! I have been following your ZRA story and eager to hear how it works for you!!!

Rosie
                        It is what it is... NOW what?!

Comment

Oh totally, it was the same for me. I ended up in the chair as a result of my mobility decline from my genetic disorder. But it helped the dysautonomia more than anything else has. Prior to the chair, doing anything would be up and down since I couldn't stand for very long. As you know, thats hell for dysautonomia. I really had no idea what it was doing to me until I was able to STOP doing it from using the chair. In the beginning due to pride I also would stand when I needed to just because I could. Now I know better and ask for help reaching items etc. I stood to transfer not really knowing how to otherwise. Figured that out too. Now theres less loss of consciousness, less fatigue, less heart medication required! Its been wonderful. And all the more life changing for those of us with secondary forms of dysautonomia and the progression.

Comment

Broadsey, how is your ZRA working out? Rosie

Comment

Originally posted by RosieSoaring View Post
                              Broadsey, how is your ZRA working out? Rosie
                              Hey Rosie! I really dig it. I can stay in it for much longer than my other chair (where I was limited to about an hour and a half or two hours before the pain got too severe and my respiratory function started to decline because my muscles were too exhausted from sitting upright.) The solid back helps, and I've found that I can actually push it for longer as well - it's no lighter than my Quickie was, I think it's actually heavier, but the Natural Fit rims allow me to conserve some energy rather than trying to grasp handrims and wheels that are hard for my limited hand function. I'm still slumping to the sides, which is a strength issue, but FAR less than I did in my Quickie and it's easy to remedy with lateral supports so that's something I'll be looking into adding.

Overall for me the biggest difference is, despite the fact that this chair is HEAVIER due to the solid tires, the solid back, the natural fits, and the heavy cushion, I find myself using far less energy just on existing. If I'm not in my chair, I'm in bed, and I truly thought that the new chair would make it more comfortable for me to spend the hour or two I do in my chair every day, and that's turned out not to be the case - I can actually do more. It's a million little things that I didn't even think about that contribute to my energy levels throughout the day - the solid back and appropriate angle mean I'm not leaning forward to push and not struggling just to sit upright, which means my muscles last longer; the increased dump and the seatbelt, plus the narrower width, mean that I'm not struggling just to remain grounded in my chair and potentially falling OUT of it, which took energy; being able to grip my handrims efficiently means being able to push efficiently, etc. etc.

As an aside, I'm not sure what your head and neck issues are (I've been keeping up with your other thread!) but I have cervical instability and progressive damage at c3-c5. Sitting up too long results in migraines, turning my head wrong or too quickly can result in migraines, etc. and I've found that a proper fitting chair means that I'm not moving my neck, shoulders, and head in unhealthy ways and I've had a a mild, but VERY notable considering its starting severity, reduction in pain when I'm not stressing my neck and shoulders trying to move an ill-fitting chair.
                              Last edited by Broadsey; 12-31-2014, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Awesome, Broadsey!!! Which Jay back do you have? It sounds like lateral supports would be great for you! I forget if you have someone working with you on positioning?

What angle do you have on your backrest? From what little I know (from researching my own situation), it seems like a bit of a recline might help with your neck and back stability. Do you have any trouble with breathing? That is another reason why I need to recline a little bit... so I don't put pressure on my diaphragm.

What about adding a neck/headrest to support your neck? I was told by Jonathan at Tilite that I could adjust the COG to allow for the addition of a headrest on my ZRA. I think I have a problem at c4, if I am not mistaken.

My condition is more on the mild side, compared to what you describe. I am glad you have a gorgeous chair to call your own and hope you can get more use out of it as you get the positioning challenges addressed. I an very interested in following your experience with your ZRA!

Rosie

Comment

Working...
                                X