Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions About Wheelchairs/Components in General, and Specifically for TiLite Aero Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@nonoise, Just in case it is good for you to know for future, the depth dimension for the DU100082 front frame rigidizer bar is measured from the front edge of seat sling or bend. Depending on the front frame configuration, I "think" it might be possible to set it back 8" from where you need it.
    Originally posted by nonoise View Post
    I don't know. The chair I am sitting in now would need a minimum of 8 inches between the ridgidizer bar and the center of the swivel point for the casters.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
      get the cad. I never spec a chair for my customers or myself without the user signing and dating that cad. the fact that who your dealing with doesn't know this tells me they shouldn't be helping you.
      Bingo!
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by ala View Post
        You should know that more grip equals more friction. If you have good hand strength, I recommend not getting coated or even standard painted handrims. They may be better gripping, especially when wet; but they are murder controlling downhill. I used to burn my hands badly from friction with just painted handrims. Get black anodized.
        I think Surge LT handrims without the thumbring fit nicely, have some gripping power and will slip without excessive burning downhill. They have a narrow rubbery insert in their outer diameter area.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
          Just be aware that you usually cannot remove solids without cutting them off, making them unusable. So don't order a set of wheels with solids to later put pneumatics on without being prepared to cut them off. While you can always remove pneumatics safely without damage and switch to solids. If you want to keep the solids on the wheels they come on, you have no problem. But if you're in doubt you may want to start with pneumatics so you can switch to solids if you don't like them, without risking having to completely waste the solids. And so if you say are going to get spinergys with the chair and purchase cheaper wheels separately as a back up and want the solids on the cheaper wheels, you wouldn't want to order them on the spinergys since you wouldn't be able to swap them without damage.
          Noted, and thank you for the info.

To be honest, the tires I tried in the demo chair I liked a lot, and was told they were solids (they should be getting back to me tomorrow to tell me exactly which they were). If they offer that ride, sans the worry about a flat (no matter how minute they may be), I'll probably stick with them. I am, however, going to continue looking into pneumatics for a possible purchase sometime in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            get the cad. I never spec a chair for my customers or myself without the user signing and dating that cad. the fact that who your dealing with doesn't know this tells me they shouldn't be helping you.
            Before starting my research and reading things here, I would have never even known that CADs were created for the chairs, let alone to ask for it. But, given how many people here suggested I get a copy of it, I was also surprised she had never had anyone ask. I will ask if she got an answer about it tomorrow. Thank you.

Both of the places/people I'm dealing with came highly recommended, but then again, by people who are ambulatory. I know, I know, but I don't personally know any other wheelchair users. In my hometown, I was the only one (literally, they didn't even have curb cutouts), and I just recently started living here. Anyway, as I've continued reading, I've gone from hopeful, to optimistic, to concerned, to throwing in the towel, to cautiously optimistic, back to concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by ala View Post
              You should know that more grip equals more friction. If you have good hand strength, I recommend not getting coated or even standard painted handrims. They may be better gripping, especially when wet; but they are murder controlling downhill. I used to burn my hands badly from friction with just painted handrims. Get black anodized.
              Sorry, I should have been more clear. I did mean the black anodized rims. Though, I am now considering Surge LTs. We shall see. Thank you for pointing that out to me, though. That would've saved me a lot of skin.

Comment

I think Surge LT handrims without the thumbring fit nicely, have some gripping power and will slip without excessive burning downhill. They have a narrow rubbery insert in their outer diameter area.
                nonoise, do you use them, or have you used them for any substantial length of time in the past? Do you think they are worth the money? I've been looking into them.

Comment

Originally posted by User Name View Post
                  nonoise, do you use them, or have you used them for any substantial length of time in the past? Do you think they are worth the money? I've been looking into them.
                  Answered in your surge thread. One thing to consider is that if you go with pneumatic tires instead of solids you can more easily upgrade to Natural Fits or Surges later. But I think a good bike shop can do solids. I had one slip in a couple of spokes in a wheel that had a solid wheel on it.

Comment

Getting my first ever wheelchair (Dysautonomia) my ATP and PT decided that a TiLite Aero Z is the chair for me.

I'm totally new for this so I'd appreciate any feedback. These are the specs that the ATP sent to the PT. The PT is now writing the letter for the insurance (BCBS through my employer) to get all approved.
                    I'm 35 years old, 5'10" and about 275 but currently loosing weight and so i'll be under the 265 max before i get my chair. (my docs finally released me to work out as long as i dont stand up)

TiLite Aero Z in matte black
                    Reinforced Frame
                    20" wide X 19" deep
                    85* front angle with front taper
                    0* camber and 1" rear wheel spacing
                    Front seat height 19"
                    Rear seat height 17"
                    Angle adjustable footrest
                    25" Spinergy Spox
                    Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution Tires
                    Casters 5" x 1.5" litespeed billet aluminum w/ soft roll
                    Composite scissor wheel locks
                    Swing away tubular arm rests 11"-14"
                    Padded nylon adjustable tension back
                    Rigid removable side guards
                    Fold down push handles
                    User friendly flip up anti tippers
                    Pelvic belt
                    Calf strap
                    Varilite Evolution 20x20 cushion
                    --------------------------------
                    TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
                    I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

Comment

That will be a great chair! Get hub locks if you can - IMO they are far better/easier than tire locks. Also demo some different style handrims.

The ZRA has the exact same design as the AeroZ and it's available with a 300# weight limit. Remember the weight limit is not just you, it's for you and everything you may carry, too. My AeroZ with my daily carry needs weighs over 60#, which translates to 40# of stuff besides me. I weigh 210#, and I'm at myAeroZ1's official limit.

From TiLite AeroZ manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TiLite.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2658045
                      Last edited by chasmengr; 28 Aug 2014, 8:31 PM.
                      Chas
                      TiLite TR3
                      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                      <
                      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Welcome, and nice chair,
                        Did you get to try an AeroZ or any other chair with those front and rear seat heights? Fortunately the AeroZ is one of the very few that you can adjust either of those heights because the caster fork is also adjustable so that it can be kept vertical.
                        Did they offer Supracor Stimulite cushions? They are worth trying.

Comment

Chas, if he gets the reinforced frame, wouldn't you think the weight limit would go up, and he get the warranty for power use?

Comment

Titanium isn't an option... i've been told there is no way my insurance would cover the cost, and its not in my budget to eat the 1200$ difference.
                            I have never even sat in a wheelchair other than the ones in an ER (those im in often sadly, because of standing and blacking out in public places).. so no i have never tried those measurements or heights or whatnot.

My ATP said that the Reinforced Frame means all the tubes are thicker than they otherwise would be and its also covered in case we do end up adding a SmartDrive later

I know its troublesome to be at the top end of the weight range... but it appears to be not much we can do about it without going with titanium.
                            --------------------------------
                            TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
                            I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

Comment

Chas, if he gets the reinforced frame, wouldn't you think the weight limit would go up, and he get the warranty for power use?
                              I edited my post while you were typing. Reinforced frame option appears to not increase the weight limit. Only the ZRA's Heavy Duty option does.
                              Chas
                              TiLite TR3
                              I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                              <
                              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by k4olin View Post
                                Titanium isn't an option... i've been told there is no way my insurance would cover the cost, and its not in my budget to eat the 1200$ difference.
                                I have never even sat in a wheelchair other than the ones in an ER (those im in often sadly, because of standing and blacking out in public places).. so no i have never tried those measurements or heights or whatnot.

My ATP said that the Reinforced Frame means all the tubes are thicker than they otherwise would be and its also covered in case we do end up adding a SmartDrive later

I know its troublesome to be at the top end of the weight range... but it appears to be not much we can do about it without going with titanium.
                                Yet titanium is medically necessary because of the weight limit. Insurance rarely pays for titanium - unless medically necessary. Stand by it, titanium's weight limit is required for you (tred carefully, BCBS may suggest a different brand of aluminum chair. Do your homework before asking to make sure you know.)

Heavy Duty Frame (Z2HDR1) and Reinforced Frame (Z2RFR1) are separate options on the ZRA order form.

Exceeding the weight limit will void the frame warranty. If it breaks, you may be without a chair - tell BCBS that. (Again, tred carefully - BCBS may insist on some cheap bariatric chair (K0007)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2658046
                                Last edited by chasmengr; 28 Aug 2014, 8:57 PM.
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3

<
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X